VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Jetting/ carb settings for exhaust

Cut it, Bend it, Weld it, Pack it.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Jetting/ carb settings for exhaust

PostAuthor: room14baz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi everyone, I’ve got an 81 xv750 which I am currently trying to work out the exhaust for, I’m planning on either a 2-1 or just short pipes 2” diameter. Both will be baffled as I live in Australia and the noise laws are pretty strict, the intake side will be pretty free flowing as I just have a screen filter- no air box. Does anyone have any suggestions on jetting/ carb settings that will work with that setup? I’ve put a couple of photos on to show what I’ve got in mind.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

room14baz
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750 virago
Sex: Male

Re: Jetting/ carb settings for exhaust

PostAuthor: chrismalm » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:33 pm

It's a crapshoot (US slang for unpredictable outcome) at best, but here are some tips I gathered from the forum :
If you have a flat spot off idle that you can't adjust out with the mixture screws, you can fatten up idle mixture by drilling out the #41 pilot jets with a #76 (.50mm) drill bit. This will help transition from idle to main circuit and cure flat spot. It will also give you a lopey idle. The downside is your idle mixture screw effective range will be reduced to 0-1 turn.

To fatten up your mid to 3/4 throttle range, you can add 1-3 washers under your needle.

To richen up the full throttle range, you can increase your main jets from 122 to 124-128
Chris Malm
chrismalm
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 XZ550H
1982 XZ550H (project)
1982 XV750 (project)
1982 XV920 (project)

PostAuthor: room14baz » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:31 pm

Thanks for the advice, I understand it’s hard to predict before actually firing the bike up and seeing how it runs but I’ve got a decent starting point now at least! I’ve had a lot of trouble with a previous bike (a Honda cb250) that I could never get running quite right so this is by far the part of my project I’m the most nervous about!

room14baz
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750 virago

PostAuthor: Ita » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:32 pm

Gedday from Melbourne...

I've just ordered these!

https://www.mikunioz.com/shop/tm38-miku ... c98ba2045f

They come pre-jetted to I assume they will be close enough to fire up and run, but them require further tuning.

Ita
I'm a black bat baby,
Bangin' on your window pane.
Well I'm a black bat babe,
I need my high octane.

Ita
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 XV 750 Virago (Café Racer Retirement Project)

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Pipe Works Exhaust Shop