VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Any experience with NCS or MAC exhaust?

Cut it, Bend it, Weld it, Pack it.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Any experience with NCS or MAC exhaust?

PostAuthor: benpineapple » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Hello! I'm sick of the exhaust setup currently on my bike, and have been saving up for a new setup. Saw the following 2 systems online:

https://shop.macperformance.com/MAC-Yam ... 4-0514.htm

http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/categorie ... mance.html

Has anyone here purchased either of these brand exhaust setups? I'm skeptical, but it'd be rad if either was a real option. Currently I have a few bends that I chopped and welded on to my stock headers last year. Getting annoyed with the exhaust being the crappiest part of my bike. I'd make a new setup head to toe, but I'm not a clean enough welder at this point. Local shops have quoted me at 400-600 to weld up a 2-2 setup out of mild steel, so I think the MAC or NCS chromed ones might be the best bet.
Last edited by Jake on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Moved to Motorcycle Pipe Works Exhaust Shop and expletive edited
1982 XV750
benpineapple
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750
Sex: Male

Re: Any experience with NCS or MAC exhaust?

PostAuthor: uncleromo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:02 pm

What you have shown are both MAC systems. One on a newer bike than your ’82. Several forum members run them and are satisfied with them.

UR
UR

XV 981J
uncleromo
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920J

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:54 pm

:yup:

Yep, both Macs. Mac in your ad is lot newer Virago. Hence, why the rear exhaust is much higher than front. I'll put up picture what Macs look like on the 81. 82 would be the same. Performance wise: difference of night and day on my 81. Much much crisper throttle response. Waay over the top exhaust flow over stock. The whole system, being some 25+lbs lighter, from stock exhaust, is really a major plus. Didn't have to mess with the pilot screw or rejet. Coarse I was already re=jetted for this altitude. But if your tune is pretty spot on, you shouldn't have to mess with anything.
Best of all..I can actually hear the wife behind. Meaning: One ride, I was in the "zone" on a canyon road. Didn't hear her decelerating (with her stock pipes)...Well..took a few miles before I realized she wasn't behind me anymore. :;: Thank gawd for my loud pipes, couldn't hear a word she was shouting at me on the way home. :cl: :bg: :cl:

DSC_0001 - Copy.JPG

As you can see from the pic of front exhaust outta cylinder, if your bike is tune perfectly, you shouldn't get any blueing.
The pipe pictured is bout 3 or 4 years of running. Barely tinted. Not bad for single walled exhaust. Run lots both in town and maybe average 75-80mph highway.
DSC_0002 - Copy.JPG

But like anything else...""YMMV"" Could get lucky..they do go on sale.

Few dollars cheaper: https://www.westendmotorsports.com/mac- ... slash-cut/

DSC_0001 - Copy.JPG

Cheapy Emgo...
Oh yea..you might also do yourself a favor and get a heat shield for the rear pipe that exists the bike to muffler. If your at just the right angle, while back'n up to a curb...you will get branded. :bg:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:13 pm

benpineapple wrote: Getting annoyed with the exhaust being the crappiest

See my edit note on your post and please do not use any version on the word again, we try to keep the language clean as per forum rules.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: benpineapple » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:56 am

Jake wrote:
benpineapple wrote: Getting annoyed with the exhaust being the crappiest

See my edit note on your post and please do not use any version on the word again, we try to keep the language clean as per forum rules.

My bad. Been spending too much time on more loosely moderated forums. Will avoid crass language in the future, thanks for the edit.
1982 XV750
benpineapple
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: benpineapple » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:59 am

Flyingdog wrote::yup:

Yep, both Macs. Mac in your ad is lot newer Virago. Hence, why the rear exhaust is much higher than front. I'll put up picture what Macs look like on the 81. 82 would be the same. Performance wise: difference of night and day on my 81. Much much crisper throttle response. Waay over the top exhaust flow over stock. The whole system, being some 25+lbs lighter, from stock exhaust, is really a major plus. Didn't have to mess with the pilot screw or rejet. Coarse I was already re=jetted for this altitude. But if your tune is pretty spot on, you shouldn't have to mess with anything.
Best of all..I can actually hear the wife behind. Meaning: One ride, I was in the "zone" on a canyon road. Didn't hear her decelerating (with her stock pipes)...Well..took a few miles before I realized she wasn't behind me anymore. :;: Thank gawd for my loud pipes, couldn't hear a word she was shouting at me on the way home. :cl: :bg: :cl:

DSC_0001 - Copy.JPG

As you can see from the pic of front exhaust outta cylinder, if your bike is tune perfectly, you shouldn't get any blueing.
The pipe pictured is bout 3 or 4 years of running. Barely tinted. Not bad for single walled exhaust. Run lots both in town and maybe average 75-80mph highway.
DSC_0002 - Copy.JPG

But like anything else...""YMMV"" Could get lucky..they do go on sale.

Few dollars cheaper: https://www.westendmotorsports.com/mac- ... slash-cut/

DSC_0001 - Copy.JPG

Cheapy Emgo...
Oh yea..you might also do yourself a favor and get a heat shield for the rear pipe that exists the bike to muffler. If your at just the right angle, while back'n up to a curb...you will get branded. :bg:

Thanks for the thorough review/writeup! Glad to hear they're a rock solid option. Didn't know they're single-walled! I've never had my carbs professionally worked on, done all the "tuning" myself, maybe I should protect the investment and have 'em looked over by the pros so I don't trash the new setup.

Thanks!
1982 XV750
benpineapple
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:31 pm

benpineapple wrote: Will avoid crass language in the future

Thank you.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:48 am

Thanks for the thorough review/writeup! Glad to hear they're a rock-solid option. Didn't know they're single-walled! I've never had my carbs professionally worked on, done all the "tuning" myself, maybe I should protect the investment and have 'em looked over by the pros so I don't trash the new setup.

From long experience, I would suggest you stay away from the "pros" when it comes to carburetors. Most shops these days don't have a clue about carbs as none of their techs are trained on them. My advice is to continue to turn your carbs yourself using info found here and other sources. The carbs on my 1100 have only been off once in the past 11 years. That was to replace the carb holders which were cracked. While I had them off, I pulled them apart and cleaned as needed, a little debris in the float bowls was all there was, then I put them back on the bike, adjusted and synced them and they have been fine since. Once carbs are set up correctly, they will stay that way until something is modified. I would also suggest that you not do any adjustments until you get your new exhaust system installed.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Post a reply

• Advertisement