VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Trouble installing 2 in 2 MAC slash pipes on '82 920

Cut it, Bend it, Weld it, Pack it.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Trouble installing 2 in 2 MAC slash pipes on '82 920

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:22 am

Having a heck of a time installing 2 in 2 MAC pipes on my xv920. I already installed the front pipe, new gasket, and attached properly (checked and rechecked) yet the attachment on the other end doesn't line up anywhere near the peg bolts:

mount.jpg

Does anyone have any idea on how to slip this down pipe on? I have tried every which way to wriggle it on- and I'm at the point where I think I can't put it on without taking off the rear tire.

downpipe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv920j
Sex: Male

Re: Trouble installing 2 in 2 MAC slash pipes on '82 920

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:24 am

Instructions are downright horrible:
004-0521.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: nanno » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:42 am

I seem to recall, that with the MAC 2in1 you had to lift the frame backbone off the frame in the rear as the flange was too wide to go through the frame.
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at (My blog - Greasygreg.blogspot.co.at)
nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 Yamaha TR1
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar
1984 XT500 4Valve (Austrian Tax saving edition)
1979 RD250/R5/DS7-hodgepodge (in bits)

PostAuthor: chrismalm » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:48 am

Here's my :2cents:
Having just disassembled a 920 I can tell you the rear wheel has to come off to replace the rear exhaust header pipe. It looks like your front muffler needs another 1/2" to reach the passenger peg stud. Could you possibly have two copper gaskets on your front cylinder ? You have to dig the old one out.
Chris Malm
chrismalm
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 XZ550H
1982 XZ550H (project)
1982 XV750 (project)
1982 XV920 (project)

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:09 pm

Nanno and Chris, thanks for your quick responses.

Chris- you nailed it. The old gasket was pretty embedded in there- I had to use a putty knife to wedge it out. Pipe went back on and it now hangs off the rear passenger peg as it's supposed to do.

I'll loosen the rear wheel and just pull it several inches, just enough to slip the down pipe on and take it from there.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:58 pm

wrenchguy wrote:I'll loosen the rear wheel and just pull it several inches, just enough to slip the down pipe on and take it from there.

Do whatcha want, but as Chris pointed out, now would be an excellent time just to take the wheel off and clean/inspect/re-grease everything. Besides having boo-coo room. Weird how many balk at taking the wheel "off". Besides being one of the easiest maintenance procedures, still amazes me how often this area is sooo overlooked. Not a whole lotta moving parts inthere, but what there is, it's essential they "all" work. Specially when it comes to brake dust/the shoes/drum. That crap is sooo fine, gets into areas it shouldn't. That dust, combined with any grease that might leak from the splines or where ever, can do some funky things. Not good, when the rear brakes are needed the most.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:17 am

Flyingdog wrote:
wrenchguy wrote:I'll loosen the rear wheel and just pull it several inches, just enough to slip the down pipe on and take it from there.

Do whatcha want, but as Chris pointed out, now would be an excellent time just to take the wheel off and clean/inspect/re-grease everything. Besides having boo-coo room. Weird how many balk at taking the wheel "off". Besides being one of the easiest maintenance procedures, still amazes me how often this area is sooo overlooked. Not a whole lotta moving parts inthere, but what there is, it's essential they "all" work. Specially when it comes to brake dust/the shoes/drum. That crap is sooo fine, gets into areas it shouldn't. That dust, combined with any grease that might leak from the splines or where ever, can do some funky things. Not good, when the rear brakes are needed the most.

Yeah, you have a good point.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Pipe Works Exhaust Shop