VTF Google Search
 Click Here

remus baffle extractions!

Cut it, Bend it, Weld it, Pack it.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

remus baffle extractions!

PostAuthor: duaneonline75 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:19 pm

hi, i have spent 3 hours trying to get these huge baffles out of my exhaust cans, can anyone give me any help as to how to get them out? ive tried beating them and just isnt moving! they are after market cans that have the larger center hole and the 4 smaller ones round the larger one
Last edited by Jake on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Motorcycle Pipe Works Exhaust Shop

duaneonline75
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: g reg virago
Sex: Male

Re: remus baffle extractions!

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:16 am

All I can say is good luck. My suggestion is to replace the exhaust system with something you like the sound of rather than destroying what you already have.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package (sold)
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:02 pm

Do at your own risk:

I used oxy/acetylene torch to cut the baffles out of my Cobras. Cut around the centre hole with the torch, it's thin material so that should blow out a big enough gap to get some twisting/torqueing/wiggling/pushing/pulling to break the baffle free from any inside welds that might be there and then you can remove it. Clean out the rest of the end plate with a small grinder, or if you have none, a half round file.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:46 pm

Bill's right.
you can gut your mufflers, but you may not like the results - they may be loud then, but maybe not in a "good way".

you might get the volume, but with unwanted [unpleasant] tones.

exhaust makers spend big-bucks researching to find the right shape/length/etc. to get the 'best' sound [and to meet imposed standards]

as I recall, the baffles are 'tack welded' at the fore end close to where it joins the header pipe...
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:08 pm

Mark's right. Only reason I removed mine was because of the annoying tinking sound they were making, and yes, they were tacked at the header end as well, but as I said, with enough wiggling, etc. those tacks will break off.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Pipe Works Exhaust Shop