VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Exhaust Mods?

Cut it, Bend it, Weld it, Pack it.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Exhaust Mods?

PostAuthor: Dispatcher911 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:52 pm

What do I need to adjust if I were to cut off the big flared exhaust (not the whole system just the actual flared ends) and add straight pipe in their place?
911, what did you do now? :bangdesk:

Dispatcher911
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv750
Sex: Male

Re: Exhaust Mods?

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:01 am

Just my take: but... IF you can afford it, I'd look into set of exhaust designed for your bike. Mac, Jardines, Vance & Hines, etc. Looking thru various part(s) outfits, Ebay, you may come across a set at a decent price. By changing out the whole system, you not only get the sound, but also the looks, better response/better torque (maybe round 10%). Namely going from those factory, megaphone looking things. To a more sleek & modern 2 into 2 exhaust, exiting on the more normal (my opinion, of coarse) one side of the bike. Best part, you (normally) won't have to change a thing..(I'll say again... normally you won't) If you go the route you mentioned, you'll be looking at working with the carbs, cuz of how you change the air flow within the system. Specially with straight pipes. Things like jet, needle, idle screw, air jet, will probly have to be worked on to get the right air/fuel balance back. I too, looked at various options few yrs ago (81' 750). And found a great deal on some Mac's, outta some outfit in Texas. Naturally forgot who. But they were running a clearance special, cost me $175 shipped, for the whole system. And...I didn't have to touch the carbs. Least not yet. Can't usually leave things alone. Kinda a loong winded answer, but bottom-line: "yes", you'll be working "IN" your carbs. Not a simple 'turn the screw' adjustment. Depending on the state of the tune now, you'll be severely leaning out the air/fuel mixture going with straight pipes. Specially if you don't incorporate some kinda baffling. Which you don't have to. I didn't on my 1000. But I also had to re-do things in the carbs. One should be mindful of diameter, length from the cylinders, too. This is all calculated when buying the whole sytem. Slip-ons are another option. But on your 750, you're also going to have to deal with the rear header pipe if you just cut the bell/muffler portion off.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Dispatcher911 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Yea the more i look, the less likely that path seems reasonable. I think ill just wait and get a system like you suggest. Would rather stay away drom carb work like that for as lomg as possible hahaha.
911, what did you do now? :bangdesk:

Dispatcher911
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv750

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:13 pm

good idea, leave them alone for as long as you can.

if you have Gen-I Hitachi carbs that are working properly, don't mess with them.

Hitachis are very easy to get out of "adjustment", and very difficult [almost impossible] to get back into factory condition. IMO

not to mention that the exhaust makers have gone to great lengths to make and tune their pipes for best performance & sound, so you will get the best sound with them vs roll-yer-owns [generally speaking]
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan: ---
--- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely :bike:

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:23 pm

Dispatcher911 wrote:What do I need to adjust if I were to cut off the big flared exhaust (not the whole system just the actual flared ends) and add straight pipe in their place?

What year bike? If it is a first gen (81-83) finding aftermarket exhaust is all but impossible. If its a 84 or later, Mac's are a good choice. Jardines aren't made anymore and Vance and Hines are terribly expensive. If you change exhaust you are going to have to adjust the pilot screw on the carbs to compensate for less back pressure. NEVER do straight pipes unless you are prepared to lose most of your low end torque. They are only good for high rpm and racing.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:08 pm

bstig60 wrote:
What year bike? If it is a first gen (81-83) finding aftermarket exhaust is all but impossible.

You posted links to three almost a year ago and those links are still good.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56345
Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:50 pm

Ok, then OP I guess there's your answer. Grab them while you can, these are getting harder and harder to find.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:43 am

Just happen to come across this. Bout the cheapest I've noticed. You might wanna email them to see if the "out of stock" is temporary. Couldn't hurt.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:14 am

Flyingdog wrote:Just happen to come across this. Bout the cheapest I've noticed. You might wanna email them to see if the "out of stock" is temporary. Couldn't hurt.

My psychic ability is out for repair, would you mind posting a link ?
Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:09 am

Jake wrote:My psychic ability is out for repair, would you mind posting a link ?

Whoops...--> https://www.partsgiant.com/p343539-mac- ... 1&f=116611 <--
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Pipe Works Exhaust Shop