VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Exhaust idea involving flex pipe.

Cut it, Bend it, Weld it, Pack it.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Exhaust idea involving flex pipe.

PostAuthor: Vendetta1 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:14 am

I've been pondering this exhaust idea for my 82 920R. Budget is everything and it would be semi temporary till I can afford a mac 2-1
I want to keep the stock pipe and muffler from the front cylinder, weld a sort of Y fitting onto it and connect the rear cylinder via a flex pipe. Essentially making a 2-1 out of the stock pipe.
I would then need more flow I assume to handle 2 cylinders instead of one. So I could just drill out the end of the muffler or baffle a little bit right? Not a huge amount but just enough.

Does this sound plausible?
So far 1 1/2" ID flex pipe is the smallest I've found. I'm thinking 1 1/4" would be easier to use/fit better though. The stock pipe off back cylinder is like 1" it's tiny

Vendetta1
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 virago 920R
Sex: Male

Re: Exhaust idea involving flex pipe.

PostAuthor: Vendetta1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:53 pm

Well I ended up getting some 1 1/2 mandrel bent J's from summit.. I'm going to give it a shot merging the 2 header pipes into 1 stock muffler.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-623001

Vendetta1
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:09 am

Good luck with your project. Let us know how it works out. One of the stock mufflers should handle bot cylinders without any problem. You won't have to remove the baffle unless you want to.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
1999 Honda Goldwing GL1500 Touring

PostAuthor: Vendetta1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:04 am

I've got all the pipes cut and fitted just need welded. If actually worked wonderfully and was extremely easy. I'll be posting up a simple how to with pictures for anyone else who's curious soon

Vendetta1
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: faffi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Interesting :cl:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Vendetta1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:04 am

The deed is done. It came together very well actually. I have a video of the sound after, sadly I don't have a before video. I have 4 holes drilled in the back of my muffler. (Also 1 joint is not welded yet in video so it's leaking alot, so tone will be slightly better once 100% completed. More videos to follow)

I'll let the pictures tell the story.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The pipe ended up landing on a cavity of the muffler with a baffle on the upstream side with a small slot in it.Image

And a tube on the downstream end.Image

Welded all up and a nice new coat of paint!Image

Here through video. It's sounds very similar but less like a harley with 2 separate chugs. It's more of a refined rumble now. I think I like it but havnt driven it yet. Seems to run totally fine! (BTW it sounds like I'm revving the crap out of it. I'm not it was only 5k rpm.
https://youtu.be/Em-UIBWlboU

Vendetta1
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:51 pm

Good job! Well done with plenty of photos.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Pipe Works Exhaust Shop