Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Polished Alloyju

Rattle can jobs done outside to pro equipment in down draft booths.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Polished Alloyju

PostAuthor: Scylla » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:15 am

Just about to give the XV750 a little TLC. Alloy bright work not so bright nowadays. Most of the alloy has been factory lacquered, which is now well passed its best.
Plan: Strip off lacqer, and mop polish to bright.
Alloy oxidises immediately it's polished, technically an etching clear lacquer should be used.
Alloy etching clear lacquer is available.
Does anyone have any views or experience with this subject.

Scylla
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1992 XV750 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Polished Alloyju

PostAuthor: Scylla » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:36 am

Newbie to this kind of posting, as you can see by the title "Alloju" haven't a clue how to edit it. Also not sure if this is the correct way to progress my original post. Though here goes.

Well that's it. How do you load images, do I have to put mine onto a cloud system, such as Google?

I know, the lack of knowledge takes some understanding.

Ride safe.

Scylla
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Lemmy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:09 am

For the images, i use imageshack
Je ne suis ni pour, ni contre , bien au contraire !
Lemmy
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV 750 virago. 5g5

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:25 am

Scylla wrote:Newbie to this kind of posting, as you can see by the title "Alloju" haven't a clue how to edit it.

You have a limited amount of time to edit your posts, that time has passed.

Why ?

We had members that were going back to previous posts, after they had essentially dropped off the radar, and removing all text and inserting “......”. That rendered some threads as extirely useless.

If you wish to have the title edited now, a Moderator will have to do it for you.

Scylla wrote:
How do you load images, do I have to put mine onto a cloud system, such as Google?

The recommended way is to add an attachment to the post. That may not be available to you yet, some members have to have 5 posts to their credit before they have that capability.

Lemmy wrote:For the images, i use imageshack

Not recommended.

Why ?

This forum and others on the web are subject to missing images in posts due to members using offsite image hosting.

The problem sometimes comes from the members themselves, from reorganizing their online albums, deleting online images, or allowing their online image accounts to go dormant, thereby the hosting site shuts down the account. When any of the aforementioned happens, the images disappear from anywhere they were posted ( linked to the host site ), therefore rendering many posts useless without images.

Other problems with offsite hosting can be attributed to policy changes such as photobucket made not long ago. They used to have free hosting, now they require you to pay. Many people chose not to pay, so the images have disappeared.

The same thing happens when a web site ceases operation, no images on posts.

The best way is to host them on VTF. You can create albums on site, and host them here or attach to your posts. Even this method is infallible.

During our last forum upgrade some data was lost in transfer and many images were lost. However, since I was involved it the data transfer, I have managed to retain on my PC some of the images that were “lost” and I can replace some.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:06 pm

:yup:

Howdy.

Welcome to VTF.

sometimes you may find that using "aircraft grade" paint remover works better to remove yellowed 'clear coats', and aluminum does oxidize rather easily so it needs a "cover coat" to keep its polish - either electro-plate or paint.

IMO: taking the time and energy to smooth & polish your XV wheels [swirlie or spoke] makes them look like custom billet wheels.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Scylla » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:52 am

A really sincere thank you to you all, for your advice and input. I will try and use the VTF facility for hosting the images I currently have.

The complexities and trials of managing a forum site, not for the faint of heart :thanks:

Ride safe.

Scylla
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:54 am

I offer the following as encouragement. I did the fork lowers for a project I'm working on. Started with a chemical paint stripper, then various grades of wet/dry sanding up to 1500 grit, then polishing compound on a buffer. Here's a before/after picture. I just used a chrome/metal polish to protect it from oxidizing afterward. Seems to be keeping its shine OK.

IMG_3264.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Scylla » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:26 am

Excellent job on the fork legs and looking real good. I would prefer the option of polish only protection, however in the UK salt is continuously deposited on the roads for a number of months. I am going to try using some acid etch lacquer I have purchased ( Clostermann coatings) I will keep the forum updated on my progress.

That is a truly outstanding Virago you have, the culmination of many Virago owners desires and aspirations, myself included.

Scylla
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Paint Shop