Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

New paint & a couple of questions...

Rattle can jobs done outside to pro equipment in down draft booths.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

New paint & a couple of questions...

PostAuthor: cozwurth » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Hello,
I just painted my tank and side covers with black BC/CC last night. I got a sag and a small run in the tank, so I'll have to wet sand to get them out. My question comes in with the decals. I saw similar decals on a Radian that was for sale near me and I really liked them. The Radian has a really different slope to the tank, though. Looking at the pictures I posted (Yeah, I know the shop is a mess), which way do you guys think would look the best? These are 'brushed aluminum' look vinyl graphics. My second question is about the clear coat. Since I have to wet sand a couple of runs out of the CC, can I wet sand, then apply the decals, then clear over? This is the first time I've used BC/CC paint.

Maybe they're just too big, and I'll just use the Yamaha emblem w/o the letters...

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'84 Yamaha XV700 Virago
'85 Honda VF700 Sabre (SOLD)
cozwurth
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Re: New paint & a couple of questions...

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:44 pm

Slope with the tank. Wet sand, apply the decals, clear over.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: funkamongus » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:01 pm

I think theyre too big. sorry, just my humble opinion. I bet it would look great without em. Its your bike, though, and I wouldnt stop riding with you if you put em all over the bike!
Scott Parsons
South Lake Tahoe

1982 Yamaha XV920J
1982 Maico Alpha 1 MC250
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ Vision
1972 BMW R75/5 W/Toaster tank, I babysit

Pictures -http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email-
Videos -http://www.youtube.com/funkamongus20-

for pics and vids from above..
copy between the "-" signs, and paste it in your browser..

If at first you dont succeed,, maybe skydiving isnt for you..
funkamongus
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: nraluke » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:23 am

My 2 cents. I think it would look better without the decals.
I have done so much for so long with so little that now I can do anything with nothing.
1985 XV700
1994 XV750 crankcase covers and starting system
Saddleman touring seat
Louisiana swamp resurrected sissy bar

nraluke
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: cozwurth » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:13 pm

I'm thinking that they're kinda big, too. I'm going to stop by a sign shop to see If I can get them duplicated, but in a smaller size. Maybe about 1/2 size. I think that there needs to be something on the tank, just not that big.

Another question...how long should it take for the clear coat to completely dry? It's dry to the touch, but it's still a bit soft. I have a drip on the tank seam that is still somewhat pliable. I painted on Saturday evening, when the shop temp was about 70°, but the temp dropped overnight and has been pretty cool and rainy since then. Today was the first day of sun, so I hung outside in the sun this afternoon to try and finish drying it. Is this temp/humidity related, or did I hose up the mix?

Thanks.
'84 Yamaha XV700 Virago
cozwurth
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: 48vintage » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:43 pm

Curing time would be dependent on brand - temp & humidity . . low temps and high humidity would increase curing time.

Gary
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end” Ursula K. LeGuin

:olcoot: Alas . . . I'm a bikeless old coot

In order for others to assist you easier it is necessary for you to fill in your profile!
Please include your bike info in your signature - and be sure to turn your signature on!
48vintage
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: cozwurth » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:05 pm

Gary, I surrounded the tank with halogen lights for about an hour this evening. I kept the lights about 2 1/2 feet away from the tank, but I could definitely feel the warmth. It seems to be working as the 'drip' on the seam is already noticeably firmer. I'm goin to leave it alone until I get it wet sanded and spray on another coat. It should be done this weekend, I hope.

Thanks.
'84 Yamaha XV700 Virago
cozwurth
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: nraluke » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:30 pm

Wow, taking that long to dry isn't right. Did you add a hardner catalyst to the clear? Should be 2 parts clear to 1 part hardner catalyst and the catalyst must match the clear you are using. Got a can of OMNI MC161 which is a photochemically reactive urethane clear in front of me and it states with 2 to 1 mix with MH167,168 or 169 total dry time is 12 hours at 70 degrees and 30 minute at 140 degrees. If it were me, I'd check with where you bought the BC/CC to see if your clear is going to cause you future problems.
I have done so much for so long with so little that now I can do anything with nothing.
1985 XV700
1994 XV750 crankcase covers and starting system
Saddleman touring seat
Louisiana swamp resurrected sissy bar

nraluke
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:01 am

JMO:
I'd go with only the Logo & loose the letters or plain tank & logo on side covers.
Less is more.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Sex: Male

PostAuthor: cozwurth » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:22 pm

nra, it looks like I'm not alone with my long dry time with this paint. I googled it and found other references to a slow dry time with the NAPA Crossfire clear coat. The Martin Senour web site says that delayed drying time can be caused by low temps and high humidity. The shop was at about 75° when I started spraying, and the temps dropped from there. It was cold and rainy for several days afterwards. MS says that one of the cures is to force dry the paint with heat. I was extra careful to mix in the correct ratio since this is my first base/clear job. The mix, according to the paperwork and the can label, is 4:1:1 paint:hardener:reducer. I'm going to have to get it scuffed and sprayed again on Saturday...the temps are supposed to drop here again on Sunday.

Mark, I'm probably going to go with the emblem alone. I think the letters are just too big, but I think that the tank needs something on it. The side covers are going to get the original emblems reinstalled after I paint them. The gold letters are going to be silver to match the tank emblem.

Thanks
'84 Yamaha XV700 Virago
cozwurth
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: cozwurth » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:09 am

Well, I wet sanded and sprayed the CC again yesterday. More runs. I know that a big part of that is operator error, but I also realized that I forgot to change the air pressure. Again...operator error. The base coat wanted 35-45 PSI, and the clear wants 50-60 PSI. I guess I'll have to adjust the paint flow as well. I put the halogen lams around it immediately after spraying yesterday, and the paint seemed to dry much faster. I'm going to try one more time before I give in and just cut and buff it out.
'84 Yamaha XV700 Virago
cozwurth
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: cozwurth » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:26 pm

It's painted...again. I was finally able to get the clear sprayed this morning after heating up the shop a bit. I got another 2 coats on and managed to get it done with no runs this time. I have halogens shining on it now to keep it warm and help the paint cure. By late Saturday or Sunday afternoon I should be able to ride it with the real tank instead of the XR100 tank that I have on it now. More pics will be coming soon. Oh yeah...I'll be using only the Yamaha emblem from the decals on the tank. The letters are just too big.
'84 Yamaha XV700 Virago
cozwurth
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Re: New paint & a couple of questions... (UPDATE)

PostAuthor: cozwurth » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:28 pm

The tank and side covers are painted and cleared. I was able to take it for a niceride today...about 65 miles this afternoon. I still have to put the emblems on the side covers and the Yamaha emblem on the tank, as well as a lot of cleaning and polishing to get the aluminum bits looking good again. What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'84 Yamaha XV700 Virago
cozwurth
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: green-villain » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:03 pm

The paint looks great from the pix. Nice work.

Nate
Ride full throttle 'til you see God!:burnout:
1983 xv 920K
1982 XV 920J - RIP Image

green-villain
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: 48vintage » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:28 pm

Lookin good in the pics!

Gary
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end” Ursula K. LeGuin

:olcoot: Alas . . . I'm a bikeless old coot

In order for others to assist you easier it is necessary for you to fill in your profile!
Please include your bike info in your signature - and be sure to turn your signature on!
48vintage
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: scottsxv1k » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:59 pm

I think it looks real clean without the emblems
I didnt say it was your fault! I said I was going to blame you!
1985 XV 1000
scottsxv1k
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: JeremyGotABike » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:11 pm

scottsxv1k";p="182223 wrote:I think it looks real clean without the emblems

+1
JeremyGotABike
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: cozwurth » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:25 pm

Thanks, guys. I think it turned out OK. It will never win 'best paint' in a show, but it's not bad. I definitely need more practice with the clear coat.

Now it's time to clean and polish aluminum...
'84 Yamaha XV700 Virago
cozwurth
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: cozwurth » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:51 pm

Would anyone happen to know what happened to the pics? I know they were posted a while back...
'84 Yamaha XV700 Virago
cozwurth
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: cozwurth » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:00 pm

Well, I'll have to completely re-do the paint on my tank. Apparently there was a pin hole in the front part of the tank from the weld stud dent puller. The gas weeped out through the filler and bubbled the paint. The paint also lifted the primer at the petcock and crept out under the paint, pretty much trashing the lower part of the tank. Do not use rattle can primers on anything that will have gas in it. I am going to have to completely strip the tank, clean and line the inside to get rid of the rust and seal the pin hole, and start over on the paint job. This time I will be using SPI epoxy primer on the outside. I'm not sure if I'll be going back with black, or with a metallic burgundy.

20180322_174436.jpg

20180322_174457.jpg
'84 Yamaha XV700 Virago
cozwurth
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Paint Shop