Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

advice needed on painting my 81 xv920 :help:

Rattle can jobs done outside to pro equipment in down draft booths.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

advice needed on painting my 81 xv920 :help:

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:33 am

howdy everyone
so im finally getting ready to paint my XV920. to start off, im a complete noob when it comes to painting with actual proper equipment. (rattle cans don't count)
so that being mentioned, i ordered a a Devilbiss Finishline 4 FLG-670 HVLP and whole bunch of air filters and other crap. Now here is the color and the effect that i'm after
I'm stripping the tank to the bare metal because there is more than one coat of paint on it and it has some chips, so i would like to start from scratch. now question number one, Which primer should i start with before i apply the bondo and what type of primer should i use on top and before applying a base coat?
then how do i achieve that type of finish is this a dark metallic as a base coat and several coats of apple candy red?
also what type of clear coat should i use?
p.s. I've watched who knows how many different painters do their magic with spray guns, but none of them are clear on materials to use, so now I'm picking your guys brains :thanks:
Thank you guys in advance:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 81 XV920RH
82 Virago XV750 USA, shafty
78 Suzuki GS750
81 Suzuki GS750 (on a chopping block to become a bobber)
85 Dnepr MT10-36 (RIP and then stolen)
91 Dnepr MT11-32 (Stolen)
Sex: Male

Re: advice needed on painting my 81 xv920 :help:

PostAuthor: Wesso » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:37 am

I take it the Honda tank is just for a sample of the colour that you want... That doesn't really look like Candy Apple Red. More like a Metallic Red which uses a very fine metallic flake.
I am by no means an expert on spray painting but I have dabbled a bit.
First thing you need is to make sure that you have a very clean, dust and bug free booth to spray the parts in. I usually hose mine out as best I can and then leave it damp so that there is no dust what so ever in there. You shouldn't need to sand all of it back to bare metal unless the existing paint is really bad.
Just make sure that you sand any chips or pits out and take the edges of the sanded area out so that there aren't any lips, ledges or steps. You should be able to slide your fingers over the sanded surface and not feel any difference between where you have sanded it back hard and where you have just taken the finished surface off.
Get yourself some tack sheets. They are a type of gauze and they are tacky to touch. You use these to wipe the sanded surface before painting and the tack sheet will remove the finest microscopic particles without leaving a sticky residue on the item to be painted.
I won't even begin to tell you how you should apply the paint because I don't know enough about it. I will leave that to somebody who knows much more about it.
What I can tell you is that you will need a clear coat that is fuel resistant. It doesn't matter how careful you are there will always be a time where fuel will get spilt on the tank.
The other thing you might like to consider is to have your bike wrapped. This is a process where all the parts that are normally painted are wrapped in a specific type of vinyl that is used for wrapping motor vehicles. It is good stuff and lasts for much longer than paint. It is much less likely to get scratched and it won't chip.
It is such a good product that it is what they use to wrap aircraft, busses, trains and trucks etc.
Wrapping might cost a bit more but it will last a lot longer and you can even have a mural printed on it before it is applied.
Cheers
Wayne

ImageThe preferred method of posting attachments to VTF can be found in the Attachment Pictorial.
To get there, click on the link below

http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=29506#p263323
or copy and paste the link into the address bar of your browser and press Enter.

If you're looking for a Service or Owner's Manual, try this link
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545
We might just have what you are looking for.
Wesso
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1997 XV1100S Virago

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:53 pm

you are correct, that is the color i'm after, but here is another picture of the same paint that gives it more justice :) i went to a honda dealer to check out that color in person, and just fell in love with it :bg:
i do want to strip it to bare metal because i don't trust what's underneath of it and thats why im wondering which type of primer to start with? most likely ill be using aircraft paint striper and sandblaster if needed.
I've been trying to find a paint booth for rent, but it looks like I'm gonna have to make a temporary setup at home :( but we work with what we have, right? :)
tack sheets are one of the things i ordered:))) do you have access to a paint booth or were you able to make one at home?
:thanks:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

78 Suzuki GS750

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:32 pm

Check out "Paint Wit Pearl" website:
http://www.paintwithpearl.com
Lots of neat ideas/techniques, and suggestions to get the effect you're looking for. The pearls and flakes are inexpensive and I've found them to be easy to work with by mixing them in with clear coat. I have little experience with spray guns, use a cheap set of HVLP guns purchased at Canadian Tire Store, and have had very good results using their pearls and Duplicolor Paint Shop paint.

I think you're on the right track in stripping the tank to bare metal; at least then you know what you're working with, and as mentioned, "cleanliness is next to godliness" when prepping and painting.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Roger Ramjet » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:39 pm

what brand of paint are you going to use ? The primer you use should match the paint you use . Enamel or what ever the other one is called that starts with an A . I havent done candy painting since way way way back when . I do remember it is at least a two part system not including primer .
Candy Base , Candy top coat and clear coat . ,

I've heard about water based paint as-well but never used it
The " Mistress " done

THE MORE HAIR YOU LOSE ... THE MORE HEAD YOU GET ....

I Lied to get the JOB they lied about the JOB .. So we are even

Bike is as always For Sale

EX-WIFE FOR SALE ... JUST TAKE OVER PAYMENTS

HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS

1982 XV920J ,82 harley Gas Tank , 81 Maxim Headlight ,Round Aftermarket signal lighting , harley Sportster front fender , Johnny Pag Spyder rear fender ,harley FLH Battery Cover, Highway Crash Bars with Pegs , Aftermarket Mirrors ,Aftermarket Backrest , Mac Pipes ,Leather Saddle Bags , Gen 2 Starter upgrade , Battery Tender , Honda Shadow Ace Seat . Firehouse Technology I-Tube Stereo , Honda Handlebars , On Board 12 v compressor for rear air shock ,Memphis Shades Batwing fairing ,3.5" pull back risers , Homemade Clock mount

Oakville,Ontario .Canada

Roger Ramjet
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 Xv920J

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:05 pm

Cusstout 1100: wow, thank you:))) i needed that:)))

Roger Ramjet: i could order just about anything, is one brand better than other? or is there one that i should stay away from? summit racing is about a 10 min drive for me, so i would like to get my stuff from them as long as it is good quality product (which i yet to find a bad product from them) also local availability is preferred :) what type of primer did you use? i know there is epoxy, filler, and etching primers, im not certain which one i should start with?

what type of pearl would i have to mix to get the same effect?
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

78 Suzuki GS750

PostAuthor: Roger Ramjet » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:15 pm

I'm a fan of Dupli-Color ( one of few on here ) They have ready to spray products , and yes they do have Candy Apple Red as well as Candy base coat . I've never really setteled on one type of Primer , but I always use Dupli-color .

Coincedently I painted my replacement slider door today with my gun and Dupli-color Dark Emerald Mettalic . Just did it in my garage . I still need to spary the clear on it .

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/
The " Mistress " done

THE MORE HAIR YOU LOSE ... THE MORE HEAD YOU GET ....

I Lied to get the JOB they lied about the JOB .. So we are even

Bike is as always For Sale

EX-WIFE FOR SALE ... JUST TAKE OVER PAYMENTS

HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS

1982 XV920J ,82 harley Gas Tank , 81 Maxim Headlight ,Round Aftermarket signal lighting , harley Sportster front fender , Johnny Pag Spyder rear fender ,harley FLH Battery Cover, Highway Crash Bars with Pegs , Aftermarket Mirrors ,Aftermarket Backrest , Mac Pipes ,Leather Saddle Bags , Gen 2 Starter upgrade , Battery Tender , Honda Shadow Ace Seat . Firehouse Technology I-Tube Stereo , Honda Handlebars , On Board 12 v compressor for rear air shock ,Memphis Shades Batwing fairing ,3.5" pull back risers , Homemade Clock mount

Oakville,Ontario .Canada

Roger Ramjet
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 Xv920J

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:33 pm

my only experience with dupli-color was from a rattle can, and i was not impressed with it, for rattle cans i prefer VHT, seams to bond and hold up a bit better. but thats rattle cans with proper prep work. do you wait for the paint to dry before applying the clear or do you do the 15 min intervals between coats?
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

78 Suzuki GS750

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:19 pm

I'm with Roger Ramjet on the Duplicolor: no mixing, no muss, no fuss, it's ready for your HVLP gun the way it comes out of the can, and the price is right. Follow the instructions for time intervals, and like I said if you want something unique, try some pearl or metalflake in the clear coat. But...the clear coat seems to me to be a bit soft; I will confess to using a 2-part clear over the Duplicolor clear for gas-proofing it. It's cheaper for me to have that final coat done at a local body shop; they will spray it for less than it would cost me to purchase the product.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Wesso » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:14 pm

Crazy_Russian wrote:you are correct, that is the colour I'm after, but here is another picture of the same paint that gives it more justice :) I went to a Honda dealer to check out that colour in person, and just fell in love with it :bg:
I do want to strip it to bare metal because I don't trust what's underneath of it and that's why I'm wondering which type of primer to start with? most likely ill be using aircraft paint striper and sandblaster if needed.
I've been trying to find a paint booth for rent, but it looks like I'm gonna have to make a temporary setup at home :( but we work with what we have, right? :)
tack sheets are one of the things I ordered:))) do you have access to a paint booth or were you able to make one at home?
:thanks:

Wow! A lot has happened here while I was having a sleep :):
Yes it is a very nice looking colour. I'm just wondering if it is a standard colour that Honda uses for that particular model or if it has been resprayed.
I did much the same with my little XV250 when I resprayed it a few years ago. I saw a colour that I really liked (Black Cherry, which is a standard Yamaha colour) and when I went to have it made up at a paint shop they stuffed it up and I ended up with a different colour to what I wanted. I was told later that they hadn't put enough black in the mix and it ended up more red than what I wanted. Very disappointing when that happens.
I can understand now why you want to strip it right back. It might be easier to have it glass blasted or something like that and just follow what the other guys have told you in here. They are all pretty knowledgeable guys from what I have seen.
As for the spray booth, I just got some clear heavy duty garden plastic and tacked it up in the carport where I was living at the time and I used an electric garden vac/blower to help suck some of the fumes out. It didn't take out all of the fumes but it worked well enough for me to paint the tank, side covers and fenders. My makeshift booth wasn't much bigger than a toilet :ops: but as you said "we work with what we have".
The hardest part was holding the plastic sheeting up so I ended up using those plastic things that are used to hold shade cloth up. They were good enough to stop the staples from tearing through the plastic sheet.
Cheers
Wayne

ImageThe preferred method of posting attachments to VTF can be found in the Attachment Pictorial.

or copy and paste the link into the address bar of your browser and press Enter.

Wesso
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:21 pm

good morning :)) the color code is R101CU with base # 1075 according to ColorRite. And ow my the stuff is expensive, $135 for a pint and or $200 for a quart.... which also brings up another question, how much paint will i need to paint 2 fenders, gas tank, 2 side covers and a fairing (picture below) all the videos talk about different types of this and that, but no one ever mentions how much paint and primer they actually use for a project like this :;:
it sounds like ill be doing a similar setup by blocking off a portion of my garage with plastic as well, except im thinking of making a positive pressure booth with a fan (or two) blowing in through couple of filters and an exhaust port, this way i dont suck dust thru any gaps or holes in my contraption of a booth and all the fumes get pushed out the exhaust port. I also noticed with couple of guys that built paint booths that they create a higher intake pressure then output pressure in the paint booths for the same reason.
i have a sand blasting cabinet, so striping the parts isnt that big of an issue for me :)))

thats my concern with going to a local paint shop with a color code and them screwing up the mixing process and me having to take off 7 coats of paint before i even get to the primer. but i may just have to take the risk... or order from ColorRight :-S
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

78 Suzuki GS750

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:15 pm

just a small update, the paint gun came in. do to my school work load, it may be a little while before ill get the time to paint the whole bike:(
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

78 Suzuki GS750

PostAuthor: Wesso » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:25 am

Now that's a nice looking spray gun... I have only ever used what I call a conventional spray gun. One that draws the paint up out of the cup rather than gravity fed like the one you have.
I would be very interested to hear just how easy it is to use when you get the time to use it that is.
I might even end up buying one myself if they are relatively easy to use.
I guess what I ultimately need is a spray gun that doesn't require high pressure since I don't have a very big compressor.
Cheers
Wayne

Wesso
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:13 pm

against my better judgment, purchased some primer and now build a paint booth :wacko: :bonk:

4/25, do to crappy weather conditions, this part is going on hold :-(
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

78 Suzuki GS750

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:28 am

well, it was a while when i got this project started, will be finishing up hopefully in the next month or so....
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

78 Suzuki GS750

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:29 am

just a few more pix
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

78 Suzuki GS750

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:45 am

You may want to coat the inside of the tank while you have it stripped. POR15 is the way to go. Don't bother with Cream.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:12 am

that was the first thing i did, removed KREEM liner that caused a nice layer of rust and POR-15 it :cl:
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

78 Suzuki GS750

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:33 pm

guys, where do you usually get your paint?
i've got a little change of plans and going to go with Yamaha 0918 Deep Red Metallic K. but lookinf for a supplier of base/paint/2k clear? anyone got sugestions?
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

78 Suzuki GS750

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Paint Shop