Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Can I spray clearcoat over decal?

Rattle can jobs done outside to pro equipment in down draft booths.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Can I spray clearcoat over decal?

PostAuthor: mr vroom » Fri May 12, 2017 1:24 pm

I painted a "reserve" fuel bottle to match my tank with an epoxy primer, base coat and urathane clear coat. Now I've sanded the final clear coat with 600, applied a decal and am a bit worried about spraying the clear coat on the decal....

Is it a problem?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1981 Virago XV750

mr vroom
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 xv750 virago, rear to front wheel, benelli mojave tank, extra ground cables, 4 brush starter,
work in progress...cafe thing

4 brush starter, extra ground cables

Redding CT
Sex: Male

Re: Can I spray clearcoat over decal?

PostAuthor: DGA » Fri May 12, 2017 7:21 pm

Yes. Spray the first coat very dry, light, let it tack up, then the next a little wetter, tack up, etc, till you get the decals covered. Don't worry that the first coat is dry, it will remelt from the next, but do it in stages. Make sure the decals are pressed down well, no wrinkles or problems.
'81 XV750, clip ons, 18" rear wheel, lowered 920 forks with twin discs and 1.5" spring spacers, 1100 brake master cylinder with CNC billet cap, -3 braided brake lines, lowered instruments and headlight, CNC billet mirror mounts, small billet turn signals with running lights, Koso tach/ speedo, stainless 2 into 1 stepped headers with reverse cone muffler, starter heat shield, 4 guage starter cables, rear exhaust heat shield, 4" round open air filter with billet CNC mount, TM38 flat slide Mikuni carbs, XV700 ported heads, BT-C05 cams, colder BP8ES NGK plugs, stiffened swingarm, polished engine side covers, polished rear peg mounts with carbon cover panels, single horn relocated, Sparto tail light with 3D printed lens, BSA tank kneepads, one off carbon fiber cafe seat with brown cover, fork gaiters, KDX200 rear shock, single tach/speedo with carbon fiber dash, red LED under tank and seat lights, black pearl paint with silver accents.
DGA
Jr Mod
Jr Mod

Bike year & model: 1974 Kawasaki H2 750, 1981 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, 1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre, 1986 Kawasaki KDX200, 2003 Honda XR100, 2004 SDG140.

PostAuthor: mr vroom » Fri May 12, 2017 8:33 pm

DGA wrote:Yes. Spray the first coat very dry, light, let it tack up, then the next a little wetter, tack up, etc, till you get the decals covered. Don't worry that the first coat is dry, it will remelt from the next, but do it in stages. Make sure the decals are pressed down well, no wrinkles or problems.

Thanks. That's exact what I needed!
1981 Virago XV750

mr vroom
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 xv750 virago, rear to front wheel, benelli mojave tank, extra ground cables, 4 brush starter,
work in progress...cafe thing

4 brush starter, extra ground cables

Redding CT

PostAuthor: marvson » Tue May 23, 2017 6:01 am

I've heard that wetsanding between coats is a good practice.

marvson
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 XV750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Paint Shop