Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Xv500 will not start anymore (SOLVED)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Xv500 will not start anymore (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: marcdesantis » Sun May 19, 2019 6:18 pm

Here I go, ,will try to be as clear as possible. Bike was running fine, only think that was weird is that when I started the bike after a winter of bike work in the garage, I did see some sparks where my ground was tagged on the bike. It did start all good and I road it 3 times for about 80km. Yesterday I started it and it did stop, as usual when I don't play with the choke correctly, I tried starting it again and then nothing, no lights, no flasher, nothing. Started trouble shooting, found the ground was not good, changed the ground location and all lights and horn ect worked find. But the starter button did not work, just one click and nothing after. Now I did rebuilt the starter, it was pretty old and actually was in bad shape, could it be because of the bad ground ? I think so. Now still can't start the bike, as soon as I hit the starter, it clicks and nothing after that. Neutral light goes dark, weird. If I put the emergency switch to off the Neutral light goes on. Could this be one of the relay that is bad ?

marcdesantis
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: xv500 1983
Sex: Male

Re: Xv500 will not start anymore

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun May 19, 2019 6:26 pm

The first thing that comes to mind is the battery is drained. If the bike wasn’t grounded properly, it probably wasn’t charging the battery either. You need the ground to complete the circuit.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:54 am

Make sure you have a fully charged battery before trying to start the engine. Once you have the ground issue resolved and a fully charged battery, try it again, if you still get just a click, check the solenoid to make sure it is passing 12v directly to the starter terminal..
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: marcdesantis » Mon May 20, 2019 8:54 am

Thx guys, battery is good,12.6. Ground is also good now, all lights work as intended.
The issues is it only does one click and the neutral light goes off and does not came back on, thus no more click if I try the starter button. The neutral light comes back on after some time.

marcdesantis
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon May 20, 2019 9:54 am

JMO: Sounds to me like your starter relay (usually magnetic reed) is sticking. Weird you're not experiencing any heat/smoke/funky smell if that is the case. You could try hitting your starter button again..during which "feel" the relay (roundish thing mounted down by your battery...see if you can feel any excessive heat. Or..as Bill said... could expose the two lugs on the relay, put a volt meter on the connection (usually right terminal) that goes to your starter's connection same time you hit the starter button. You're looking for: "no" current to the starter "until" you push the button..and..checking to see if current to battery shuts "off" when releasing starter button. Could also have a weird acting starter relay "under" the seat, too. Would be identified by the wires/connector going from the main relay (by battery) up to the one under the seat.
You could also undo your starter button assembly, clean it up best you can, look for any unusual burnt wiring/contacts, button fully pops back out when releasing. Careful, though, there's spring/ball bearing in there that just loves to take flying lessons on ya (sometimes)..never to be seen again. :bg: Make sure all connections..battery, relays, etc are shiny clean and tight. Sometimes the simplest things puts lotta resistance/extra draw on the starter. Could be wrong, electrical is a brain-cell burner, sounds like something's temporarily stick'n.
https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempar ... ectrical-1

Checking the relay off the bike..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK1HqCkyO9A

The fact you mention bout rebuilding the starter is also, somewhat, suspicious. As in possibly a broken internal wire (armature) or shorted commutator..as in did you undercut the mica between the brush contact / copper plates? Maybe starter motor is drawing longer than it should. Starter motor brushes?...lotsa possibilities. Quite possible a new starter is needed, if your old one is that crappy and you don't feel like doing the 180° resistance testing on all the commutator/armature stack, which is kinda tedious at times.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: marcdesantis » Thu May 23, 2019 4:50 pm

Ok here is what I tested and still the same issue, so need to figure out how to test finding if it's a bad TCI, starter cut out relay, side stand relay, etc.

1- starter relay, all good
2- battery all good, 13.2V
3- Starter Motor all re-build
following steps from totallyredvirago » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:54 pm from PLEASE HELP! 1983 Yamaha Virago XV500 - NO SPARK (SOLVED)
4- key on red/white wires at both coils and TCI, all good
5- orange and gray wires at the coils all good Power
6- No Spark, as the starter only does one click, then Neutral light goes out, only way to get it back on is to shake the bike, , like backing it up and hitting the break.
7- went to the TCI found the black/white wire and I cut it, no changes
8- TCI red and blue 148 ohms
9- TCI green and brown 148 ohms

next ?

marcdesantis
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:57 pm

The "click' you hear when you push the start button.... Where is it coming from? The start switch (solenoid) or is it the starter clutch kicking in? if it's the latter, your starter may be bad. Did this issue start before or after you rebuilt the starter? Do the solenoid check I described above and let us know what you find. If the starter isn't turning the engine, you are not going to get a spark. So rule the TCI out for now.. Once you get the first problem fixed, we can address the spark issue if any.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: marcdesantis » Sun May 26, 2019 11:05 am

starter clutch not engaging, Starter switch test all good as you described earlier. The click is in the starter switch and the starter cut out relay. On that relay the Blue and yellow cable, if I test it for power it makes the neutral light flick to a point where the neutral light comes on back for good, Then round and round we go, hit the starter, one click, neutral light goes out.

marcdesantis
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:09 pm

It could be a loose ground somewhere. Check the starter cutout relay as well.
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: marcdesantis » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:18 pm

looks like the starter cut off relay, if I energize the skyblue (neutral switch) the neutral light comes back on. Click the starter, neutral light goes off and stays off until I re-energize it.

marcdesantis
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:10 pm

I don't have a wiring diagram for the 500, but in the bigger bikes, the sky blue wire is a ground - the neutral switch provides ground through the sky blue wire to the bulb which gets its power from the tan/brown wire. Don't know if that helps, but it has been suggested that you have a bad ground somewhere...
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: marcdesantis » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:43 pm

as this was a rainy Sunday, spent some quality time with the Virago. As stupid as this sounds looks like the entire problem comes from the fact my starter is not grounded, why I have no clue, how can a starter stop being grounded ? I guess I will run a ground cable from the starter to a good ground location and should work, will keep you posted

marcdesantis
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: marcdesantis » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:39 pm

ran a cable from the Starter to ground point, all good. I will always be amazed how something as easy as a bad ground can bring so much frustration and time wasted. Consider this one solved

marcdesantis
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

Re: Xv500 will not start anymore (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:51 am

I marked this thread solved per your request. However, the starter is grounded to the frame via it's mounting bolts on the engine. If the mounting surface gets corroded or dirty it can lose contact. Also, the way the negative ground cable is situated on the 500 can also create corrosion problems. I would check it where it mounts on the frame and make sure it is clean and tight.
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Post a reply

• Advertisement