VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PostAuthor: Daniel J » Sat May 30, 2020 3:46 pm

Hi!

I'm very new to these forums. I semi-recently acquired an 83 Virago 500 that sat in a garage for the last 30 years and that was never properly stored. I've had it for a couple years but just have not had the means to work on it. I recently bit the bullet and started getting the parts and fluids to get it going again (new petcock included). The bike itself is in pretty good shape but as you can imagine the fuel sitting in the carbs for so long had an impact.

I've gone through the carbs and the rubber caps that sit under the main jet (and what looks like forcing fuel to go into the main jet) disintegrated. Would anybody be able to point me in a direction for carb rebuild kits for some of these seemingly more niche gaskets and caps? I believe I did the basic bowl gaskets, needle valves, and floats when I first got the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Jake on Sat May 30, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from XV 500 People- check in?

Daniel J
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1983 Virago XV500
Sex: Male

Re: Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PostAuthor: Jake » Sat May 30, 2020 4:17 pm

1st

:VTF:

Please add your location to your profile so no one has to ask in the future. With members all over the globe, some info is geographically specific.

Add your location at this link to your User Control Panel

2nd

I spilt your post from the original thread because you asked some questions in a thread that clearly stated it was a “show and tell” thread, not for asking questions:

rchawaii wrote:Mod edit:

This is a show and tell thread. Please do as the OP asks and please do not ask questions about problems you are having. If you have an issue you need help with, start a new thread.

That was so I would not have to do this sort of thing. You are forgiven for this since it’s your first post.

Now, someone will be along to help you shortly.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Sat May 30, 2020 5:35 pm

Hi and Welcome.

The XV 500 is the most unique Virago you can get.

So congrats on that!

As far as the pieces you’re referring to you should go to partzilla.com and search for the bits you need first. They will be broken down there by part sections, so look under carb.

If you try that and don’t find them, check back in here.

I can’t access them at the moment. But if part I’ll doesn’t have them we will have to look for another solution.

Cheers rchawaii
My Ride is a 1983 XV 500 :usa:
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 Yamaha Virago XV500

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat May 30, 2020 5:59 pm

Howdy Daniel.

Welcome to VTF.

the xv500 is kind of a 'rare-bird' in the USA. it was only available here for (IIRC) one year. later morphed into the 535.

although some OEM parts are still available (shared off-the-shelf with other models no-doubt) >>> https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam ... carburetor

if the your 500 is like the other XVs, it likes totally clean-as-brand-new carbs (esp. the old Hitachi carbs)

Bonne chance & ride safe.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: baxterj787 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:47 pm

I do not know of any carb kits off the shelf for the 500 (or 535). I know those plugs in the carb; one each pilot and main jet plugs (per carb). They are still available from OEM Yamaha.

I had to replace those plugs (all four), both pilot jets, main jet nozzle o-rings, jet block gaskets (paper, look like a skeleton key hole for lack of a better description), decel enrichment valves (aka transient enrichment valves), CV diaphragms, fuel mixture screw o-rings, petcock and all vac lines / fuel lines, all individually through OEM Yamaha. Check that; the lines were sourced from AutoZone.

It runs well now; 55 mpg is normal, easy start and smooth idle.
Good Judgment comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgment.
baxterj787
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 XV500K

PostAuthor: Daniel J » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:57 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses! I actually forgot to check back here for a little bit. I ended up using BabbitsOnline for the part numbers and ordered the rubber caps and new fuel cock from Yamaha directly (cheaper than I would be able to order anything into Canada from a 3rd party). I'm at a bit of a loss at this point. Every day I start it runs totally differently. One day the front cylinder won't run, the next both will work great, the next only the rear will run. Im thinking I might just need to give it a good long soak in a cleaner. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ill try and keep some progress updates to help out any others who are going through the same thing.

Daniel

Daniel J
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1983 Virago XV500

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV500