VTF Google Search
 Click Here

XV 500 People- check in?

• Advertisement

Post a reply

XV 500 People- check in?

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:26 pm

Mod edit:

This is a show and tell thread. Please do as the OP asks and please do not ask questions about problems you are having. If you have an issue you need help with, start a new thread.

Can anyone who currently owns a 500 check in? There just aren't that many of us around, so I thought I'd start a post where we could all share.

This is the one I've had since I joined. Currently redoing the fuse block and many others things.

where is yours? Do you have pics? How is it running? What have you learned?

I've attached pics of mine,m when I got it and how she currently sits.

Originally the small pics where I found her, then the pics with the red "skull" tank and then the black with the tan seat is how she is now. After adding a lot of parts more patience :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Ride is a 1983 XV 500 :usa:
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 Yamaha Virago XV500
Sex: Male

Re: XV 500 People- check in?

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks Jake sir, yes this was merely meant to be a discussion for those of us who own the 500. Thanks for clarifying for everyone!
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: baxterj787 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:58 pm

virago.jpg
Hi, Jason here; Xenia, OH and have been running my '83 500 since 2014. It had 9k on the odometer when I bought it in early 2014. I am up to 26k now. I commute on this bike 10 months out of the year, rain or shine. The bike can do extended highway touring. I rode twice from SW Ohio to western MA this summer / fall. 1400 miles each trip. No issues. What have I learned? Lots.

Carbs: The carbs are basically the same (no VBoost oviously) as the 1st gen Yamah VMAX. The carbs are very particular. If they are clean / synchronized, have all of the small o-rings present in the correct locations (and the o-rings are in good shape), the bike will run just fine. CV diaphragms can be replaced separate from the slides. I bought a pair of diaphragms from carburetordiphragms.com. Installation was a bit of a pain but a lot cheaper than buying new diaphragm / slide assemblies from Yamaha.

Float Level: You can get close following this process: https://v4musclebike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31182 ; close enough for mine anyway. I did verify using the "wet" or "tube" method and, well, it worked.

Fuel petcock: yes, it is expensive. I am grateful it is still available seeing as how Yamaha designed it and Mikuni built it. Y only used that lovely design on 2 models in the early 1980s. There are no other models that will interchange. There are no rebuild kits.

Air filter: Inspect / replace the gasket around the lid above the air filter. The bike runs terribly if the intake system has any leaks. I also plugged the port into the air filter and routed the crankcase breather vent line to exit at the bottom rear of the bike. Reason: extended highway jaunts can cause an oil mist to get sprayed onto the back-side of an otherwise good air filter. The paper will swell shut if saturated in oil; the bike won't run well (if at all). At $55 a pop, I don't want to waste air filters! Again, make sure the hole going into the air filter housing is plugged and airtight.

The exhaust can / will rust and crack where the rear head pipe meets the collector (in front of the rear wheel). I have had moderate success by wrapping the entire (cracked) joint in thin-gauge sheet metal and using 3 heavy-duty hose clamps around the sheet metal. I have 18 months on the current installation and will be swapping it out this spring (sheet metal and clamps). I'll get pictures next time I am "in there".

The starter motor rebuild kit from Powerparts360 goes in with no drama and is a very cheap rebuild kit.

It is possible to get a larger battery that mostly fits into the standard battery box. A slight amount of trimming is needed. I'll update this post with the battery model / part# in the next week.

I cut off the "tool kit holder" underneath the LH plastic sidecover to make valve adjustments easier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good Judgment comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgment.

baxterj787
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 XV500K

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:17 am

Great Info! Thanks for sharing your bike and those bits of information!
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:51 am

almost-original.jpg
Just some pics to share. When I got my bike it has sat for years in someones back yard in the weather. It has come a long way. Even up until now I have been scouring places for replacement parts. I recovered the seat with what I had, but it is interfering with me trying to decide on a paint color.

I recently disassembled the left hand controls and repainted the housing a midnight metalflake black so it looks deeper than the old faded unpainted or half painted aluminum. I havent taken a photo of that but it looks outstanding. Also took some white nail polish to the "Horn" lettering on the button. Hope to also repaint the lettering on all of the controls back to how they should be.

Thanks to a few awesome owners throughout the world, I've gotten most parts back on her. Still looking for tires, and my new title and tag should be here any day.

Once I finalize a color on the tanks I'll get to work on her running again. I had a leaking petcock and bought another and a new o ring for the old one just in case. The original would be Bright Red and Virago black. I just want it highly visible and clean looking when I'm finished.

Repainted the tank but the color is ugly, so Ill have to do it again when I decide on a theme. The whole Easy Rider thing is making my itchy so a flag? never know I guess.

I also bought a wheel at Harbor Freight that is for cleaning wood or metal that you chuck in a drill and used that to clean the fins on the rear crank case jugs. (Youll see in the photo). Worked pretty well as mine is badly oxidized form years of neglect.

tank-brown1.jpg

Shes looking better every day.
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:56 am

baxterj787 wrote:
The exhaust can / will rust and crack where the rear head pipe meets the collector (in front of the rear wheel). I have had moderate success by wrapping the entire (cracked) joint in thin-gauge sheet metal and using 3 heavy-duty hose clamps around the sheet metal. I have 18 months on the current installation and will be swapping it out this spring (sheet metal and clamps). I'll get pictures next time I am "in there".

The starter motor rebuild kit from Powerparts360 goes in with no drama and is a very cheap rebuild kit.

It is possible to get a larger battery that mostly fits into the standard battery box. A slight amount of trimming is needed. I'll update this post with the battery model / part# in the next week.

I cut off the "tool kit holder" underneath the LH plastic sidecover to make valve adjustments easier.

Have been thinking about these comments.

First the Rear Down Pipe. I have that issue as I see a Pipe clamp on it, but everything there is very rusty. Ill have to do something similar. Maybe some roof flashing I have around or something non permanent.

I haven't done a starter rebuild. I didn't think it was necessary on these bikes? Just curious as to how much of a difference this made, and or if you were having issues and this made you do this?

The toolkit holder section is kind of in the way anyway and useless so that's probably not a bad idea at all.

Haven't decided on a permanent battery so this is information Ill also digest when I decide on one. I had one, but it died a year ago and is shot, so I'm just using a lawn and tractor battery for now.
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: baxterj787 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:33 pm

The battery I mentioned above is sourced through Parts Unlinited; most US dealers can get stuff from PU. Part# 2113-0031; I recall paying around $78 for it. It is a CTX14AHL-BS. Stock battery is 12A; this one is 14A and almost the same physical size. Between the stronger battery and a rebuilt starter motor, this thing cranks with enthusiasm!

baxterj787
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: baxterj787 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:42 pm

Cosmetically mine is ugly. The tank looks like a used tube of toothpaste; dented and chipped paint. Some previous owner decided to spray-paint all exposed aluminum and a poor job was executed to say the least. Silver overspray everywhere as no parts were masked off or removed prior to painting. Drugs are bad... I have not attempted to remove any of the spray paint and also have never washed the bike in the years I have owned it; rain-rinsing happens regularly.

Mechanically, it runs like a top. 55 mpg is normal for me (commuting 20 miles / day).

Tires: I am running a Shinko 712R on the rear. It was easy to mount and balance (I did both myself). The front is a Maxxis that was new when I bought the bike. I will be replacing with a matching Shinko when that time comes.

Roof flashing would likely work for the exhaust. My first attempt was made from an empty beer can (I tend to have a few of those handy at any given time...) that I cut with metal shears. It lasted about 6 weeks before the thin aluminum burned through and failed.

Stater motor brushes were badly worn. The bike had a habit of "slow" cranking even with a new battery; a typical symptom of worn brushes. Simple enough to disassemble / inspect / replace brushes. A word of warning: you do have to drain the oil before pulling the starter motor! I think they became so worn because previous owners had cranked and cranked and cranked on the starter to try to get the bike to start, causing the brushes to wear out.

baxterj787
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV500