Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

What are my Petcock replacement options?

• Advertisement

Post a reply

What are my Petcock replacement options?

PostAuthor: TrailKlaus » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:22 pm

Howdy!
I'm working on a '83 XV500 Virago at the moment, and I'm struggling to control/eliminate the leaking from the original petcock, with the gaskets and seals being in poor shape. I'm interested in just putting this one behind me and moving to something a bit newer, such as this petcock:
https://www.amazon.com/Petcock-Switch-S ... B07Q6KJ9VF

I've confirmed that the mounting holes match, at 50mm apart. However, I'm uncertain if the ports will sync up between the two that the replacement has, one each for vacuum and fuel, and the three that can be found on the original. Included below is an image of an original, with the three valves labeled. Would someone be able to tell me the purpose for each valve? I believe C is the main fuel line, and B is the vacuum line, but I'm not sure what purpose A serves.

1983-Genuine-Yamaha-Virago-XV500-XV-500-OEM copy.jpg

Ultimately, I'm just trying to find a replacement that is generally compatible with the bike, thus avoiding any unnecessary headache.

Much thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TrailKlaus
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1983 xv500 virago
Sex: Male

Re: What are my Petcock replacement options?

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:19 pm

Here's the stock replacement for the bike. Take the part number and do a google search. https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamah ... a9fe76be80
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Re: What are my Petcock replacement options?

PostAuthor: baxterj787 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:07 am

"A" in your picture is the return line. "C" is the line from the tank to the fuel pump. "B" is a small-diameter vac line going to the front intake manifold.

The hexagonal-shaped component in-line between the petcock and carb is the vacuum-operated fuel pump. The pump moves fuel according to engine RPM and is operated off a medium-diameter vac line going to the rear intake manifold; more RPM = more pulses on the fuel pump diaphragm = more fuel moved to the carbs. Why did Y do this? The fuel outlet is lower than the float level in the carbs; a pump is required.

Once the carbs are full and the float has closed, the excess fuel is returned to the tank through that "A" fitting.

Sadly, I have not seen a direct replacement for the petcock on the XV500s. No one makes a rebuild kit either (to my knowledge). This is a case where you have to take the plunge on the part. Thankfully they are still available; remarkable as this valve was only used on the XV500 and XZ Vision 550 for a very short time in the early '80s.
Good Judgment comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgment.

baxterj787
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 XV500K

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV500