VTF Google Search
 Click Here

PLEASE HELP!!! Flywheel/Starter Clutch Removal

• Advertisement

Post a reply

PLEASE HELP!!! Flywheel/Starter Clutch Removal

PostAuthor: Imthegirlnextdoor » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm crossing my fingers that someone can help me. I have an 83 virago xv500 and the starter clutch went out on it. the problem I'm having is that I am using a puller tool, but I can not get the flywheel off!!! I am completely stumped and don't know what to do next. Is there something I'm missing? I don't want to damage anything (well, actually I'm almost at the point where if I damage something I'll just fix it, I just need it off! Lol.). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Pic was taken before I removed the center bolt.

Thanks in advance!
Suzie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Imthegirlnextdoor
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1983 Yamaha virago 500
Sex: Female

Re: PLEASE HELP!!! Flywheel/Starter Clutch Removal

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:54 am

Imthegirlnextdoor wrote: Is there something I'm missing? Suzie

Probly not, sometimes ya swear they're welded on or it's one piece. Few things you can try. Definitely use the bolt type puller, not the jaw type (not sure the jaw type would even fit). Anyhow, tighten to the point of just below maximum tensile strength of pulling bolts (meaning: pretty damn tight), get out your propane torch and heat the inner hub. Not red hot..just pretty hot. Let it cool some, reheat and start rapping on the tool and/or inner hub of the rotor, with a hammer. Basically, as you probly can guess, you're setting up shock waves to help the rotor free. If you got a can of computer compressed air, you can turn the can up-side-down and spray it on the hub, during the cool down. It'll give that sudden shock of temperature change. All the time keep turning the puller slightly tighter between the heat and cool cycle (if you can). Between all these cycles, it should pop off. BUT..be ready for a bang..so to speak..when it does let go. Be a good idea to have a towel/sheet or something laying on the floor, so if any off the dowels/springs.. don't hit/bounce or roll off into that "never to be seen again" zone. There's a definate advantage to using a impact gun on the puller. Lotta times (not always) just the vibration of the gun is enough to break the bond. But use short trigger pulls, you don't want the puller to explode on ya. Even squirts of penetrating oil before heating helps. The heat will cause the fluid to soak in. Much like soldering copper water pipe joints.
Good luck and be safe at that. You're dealing with a lot of stresses.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Imthegirlnextdoor » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Thanks Flyingdog!!! I followed your directions, and was FINALLY able to get it!!! The only bad part was that for some reason I sheared all 3
bolts that connect the starter clutch to the flywheel. I was able to get them out pretty easily, and without damaging the threads. After looking at the starter clutch that i took off the bike, and the one I just ordered, I noticed that the new one doesn't have any little holes on the outside of the starter clutch but the old one does. Will the new starter clutch still work??? Thanks again for all of your help!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Imthegirlnextdoor
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1983 Yamaha virago 500
Sex: Female

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:16 am

Imthegirlnextdoor wrote: FINALLY able to get it!!! The only bad part was that for some reason I sheared all 3

:GJ: ...but that's too bad it was such a pain. Mechanics are much like that as you're well aware of. Hmm, they weren't 'right hand' threads, were they?

Imthegirlnextdoor wrote: new one doesn't have any little holes on the outside of the starter clutch but the old one does. Will the new starter clutch still work???

Almost seems like the holes were for balancing. Or..maybe they were for oiling and Yamaha decided they were not needed. :con: Wish I could help, but I'm unfamiliar with that. I'm sure another member will jump in here and give ya an answer, soon.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV500