VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Putting the carburetors back together

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Putting the carburetors back together

PostAuthor: Cykomiko » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi all,

I just changed all diaphragms on my XV carburetors. There are in place as they should be.
It worked fine, apart for two little things.
1.One plunger goes down slower than the other. Not by much, but it is noticeable. Plungers color have turned from copper to brownish. Maybe it is the reason?? (corrosion? )
2. There is a tiny hole at the bottom of the plunger, right next to the needle. Does this need to be in a particular position when I put everything back together?

Thanks for your help on the matter. Glad to help with anything if I can!

Mika

Cykomiko
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: XV 500 SPECIAL 26R
Sex: Male

Re: Putting the carburetors back together

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:02 pm

Cykomiko wrote:1.One plunger goes down slower than the other. Not by much, but it is noticeable. Plungers color have turned from copper to brownish.

Not familiar with the 500. What year is it? Far as the slide goes..could be one of the problems. Rub it down with a Scotch Brite pad, Brasso brass polish or even something like Turtle Wax polish usually helps. If you're gentle, #1000-1500 grit with water or some liquid works, too. Up & down motions only. There's really many ways to clean them up. If that's your only problem. Don't over look the slides' bore, too. Sometimes, if the diaphragm isn't installed correctly it can hang the slide.
All said and down, you're looking for the "Clunk" test when ya let the slides fall on their own. (And I'm not talk'n bout letting them fall on the floor) Be surprise how many get this wrong. :bg:
Do your carbs have the black hoses w/the black bulbs coming from the top of carbs? They need to be clear. Have been known to plug up. Absolutely needed for the slide to work right.

Cykomiko wrote:2. There is a tiny hole at the bottom of the plunger, right next to the needle. Does this need to be in a particular position when I put everything back together?

There again..is it Hitachi carb? Hitachis' have vacuum holes in the bottom of slides and they must face toward the cylinder. Yours? I will assume it's the same.

Someone more familiar with the 500 could verify. The year would be helpful to look it up.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:39 pm

Flyingdog wrote:There again..is it Hitachi carb? Hitachis' have vacuum holes in the bottom of slides and they must face toward the cylinder. Yours? I will assume it's the same.

These are Mikuni downdraft carbs...........
Last edited by Jake on Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package (sold)
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:11 am

bstig60 wrote:These are Mikuni downdraft carbs...........

"As" with Hitachi, the Mikuni (w/ round slides..83'?) the vacuum hole goes toward the engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:38 am

Flyingdog wrote:
Not familiar with the 500. What year is it?

My resources tell me the XV 500 SPECIAL 26R is a 1983. The year is important for us to know as the 500 was manufactured at a later date.

Please add the year to your profile so no one has to ask in the future, not all members can determine the year by 26R.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV500