Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Defective 'new' starter solenoid

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Defective 'new' starter solenoid

PostAuthor: Pamtha7 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:15 am

Well, today I went to take my bike for a spin. Last time I took it out I kept missing neutral when I parked it and after about 4 or 5 attempts I just turned it off while in first gear. So, when I went to start it today it gave a little cough and then nothing. Tried again, same thing so I let off of the clutch, it lurched forward and started even though I didn't have my finger on the starter. I tried to turn it off with the key and while the motor stopped the starter kept clicking. I took the key out of the ignition and still the starter clicked. I flipped the emergency stop button and still the same. My BIL was there and thought I was out of my mind at first until I took the key out and showed him I couldn't stop the starter from trying to engage and he said he could hear the starter even when I had the engine on. He ran off to get my husband as the bike was still in gear, I again started it, backed it up and drove over to my husband. He had to take the terminals completely off the battery in order to stop the starter. Well, it turns out that a few weeks ago I removed my old corroded starter solenoid and replaced it with one I bought on eBay. Clearly, this new one was defective with only a closed circuit that wouldn't open. Husband said the new solenoid is worthless. Here is the one I bought. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Relay- ... 2749.l2649 Does anyone know where I can find a GOOD one?

Pamtha7
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 Yamaha Virago XV500
Sex: Female

Re: Defective 'new' starter solenoid

PostAuthor: Andrew500 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:47 pm

I did a quick search on one of the Genuine pars dealers, and it appears that Yamaha still has some.
Andrew500
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1984 XV500L Virago
Sex: Male

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV500