VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Has anyone tried Vitalizing their 500?

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Has anyone tried Vitalizing their 500?

PostAuthor: PatKD » Mon May 14, 2018 7:58 am

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any XV 500 owners have used Joe Minton's recipe (Vitalizing the Virago, linked in the tech articles) on their machine? I'm considering the progressive fork springs, the fork brace and the midsets for sure, and maybe the rear spring, but before going into these expenses, I wanted to check if anyone had feedback about these light mods and if their impact is noticeable on the 500. Also, another noob question : could someone point me towards a clear fix for the box-of-rocks starter?

Cheers!

PatKD
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1984 Yamaha XV500
Sex: Male

Re: Has anyone tried Vitalizing their 500?

PostAuthor: Andrew500 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:35 pm

I cant help you with Vitalizing the bike, as I've kept mine as original as possible. I wouldnt suggest pouring too much money into this old bike, given its age you will probably be spending enough cash (and even more time) keeping it running decently.

What problem are you having with the starter?
Andrew500
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1984 XV500L Virago

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Thu May 17, 2018 7:25 pm

The 500 has starter problems?

Joe's article is for the 750, however the same mods will work on any motorcycle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: PatKD » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:39 am

Hey guys, I thought the box of rocks plagued the entire early-model Virago lineup but after listening to a couple of 750 and 920 starters on YouTube I can see that I don't have the box-of-rocks problem at all. However, my starter turns over and over and over (sometimes a full minute) before the engine actually starts, especially when the engine is nicely warmed up. I haven't checked my compression, but what could that be about? Carbs or cylinders?

Also, my ride is extraordinarily stiff, both at the front and rear. Any clue as to what's going on there?

Thanks in advance for any helpful answer anyone can provide!

Cheers

PatKD
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1984 Yamaha XV500

PostAuthor: Andrew500 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:25 pm

Mine never started too well either, although when its warm outside its usually no problem at all. But to crank for a minute is definately an indication of a broblem. I find every little thing helps, fully charged battery, clean air filter, and most importantly clean spark plugs. Recently I finally installed the AP63 plugs that everyone raves about and it definately made starting much easier.

Make sure you dont flood it, I usually start with no choke, with a hint of throttle. Then i carefully add some more throttle so it doesnt stall as I choke it 1/3 to 1/2 of the way to reach about 2000rpm for the warmup.

I thought i had a starter problem (worn brushes maybe), so i rebuilt the starter a few weeks ago. The old brushes were fine, but after putting in new brushes anyway, some cleaning and lubrication, it turns over a bit faster (approx 240rpm vs 225rpm before). Its hard to say, but it seemed to help with starting also.

I might try messing with the carb mixture screws one day to see if that helps any.

Make sure your carb is clean also. Other than that there is not much else I can say. Hopefully someone else can give us some more ideas.

One more thing, my compression is on the low side, under 140psi. Maybe thats the real problem here.
Andrew500
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1984 XV500L Virago

PostAuthor: Gimptank » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Andrew500 wrote:Mine never started too well either, although when its warm outside its usually no problem at all. But to crank for a minute is definately an indication of a broblem. I find every little thing helps, fully charged battery, clean air filter, and most importantly clean spark plugs. Recently I finally installed the AP63 plugs that everyone raves about and it definately made starting much easier.

Make sure you dont flood it, I usually start with no choke, with a hint of throttle. Then i carefully add some more throttle so it doesnt stall as I choke it 1/3 to 1/2 of the way to reach about 2000rpm for the warmup.

I thought i had a starter problem (worn brushes maybe), so i rebuilt the starter a few weeks ago. The old brushes were fine, but after putting in new brushes anyway, some cleaning and lubrication, it turns over a bit faster (approx 240rpm vs 225rpm before). Its hard to say, but it seemed to help with starting also.

I might try messing with the carb mixture screws one day to see if that helps any.

Make sure your carb is clean also. Other than that there is not much else I can say. Hopefully someone else can give us some more ideas.

One more thing, my compression is on the low side, under 140psi. Maybe thats the real problem here.

im no expert, but i did look at a service manual for the carb and it says its not adjustable. they are factory set and should not be changed.

just saying..

Gimptank
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1983/84 Virago XV500

PostAuthor: faffi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:16 am

You can punch/drill the lid placed over the idle mixture adjusters and remove them, which will give you free access to the adjusting screws.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV500