Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

"Clunk" Noise When Starting

• Advertisement

Post a reply

"Clunk" Noise When Starting

PostAuthor: Andrew500 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:13 pm

This evening I took my Xv500 for a spin. It had not run for almost 2 weeks, and with the cooler weather, it took a number of attempts to get it started (Nothing new here).

I never crank the engine long when it doesn't want to start, Instead I give it a couple moments and try again. On a couple of the times when I aborted the start the engine came to a stop with a loud and very unpleasant "clunk" sound. As if someone hit it with a hammer.

I am quite sure that this noise is caused by "kick back" of the engine on the starting system, whenever I happened to abort the start on a compression stroke (probably approaching TDC). I've had this happen 3 or 4 times in the last 3 months, after I took the bike out of storage. I can't recall if it ever made this noise before it went into storage 9 years ago.

Is this normal? Is it bad for the Starter Clutch, starter gears, or the Starter itself?

Thanks in advance.
-Andrew
Andrew500
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1984 XV500L Virago
Sex: Male

Re: "Clunk" Noise When Starting

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:18 am

I've had similar occurrence with various brands.

check your battery is fully charged ....
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Andrew500 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:02 am

You are right that this may be due to slow cranking, but in my case definately not due to a bad battery. I always thought that my bike cranked slow, even with a brand new battery or even when connected to a car battery (car running).

I've heard of strarter motors failing all together, but can they wear out and crank slow? I put over 50,000km on this bike and It always seemed to crank slow, it not a recent change.

-Andrew
Andrew500
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:34 pm

it has been my experience (over 50 years) with motorcycle batteries, that they can and will unexpectedly surprise you.
I have had them fail "right-out-of-the-box", and "out-of-the-blue", and nearly always for no apparent reason.
I think it all depends on the temper/humor of the pixies inside it.

having said that; you might try taking your starter apart and servicing it - clean, lube, and replace the brushes. I have seen that restore a questionable electric motor to "as-good-as-new" service.
finding parts could be a separate issue.

Never jump a motorcycle from a running automobile unless you are wanting to replace the bikes charging system (and maybe the harness)....
auto alternators can put out far more amps than your bike was designed for, things that should-never could-start to arc-weld. from only a car battery is OK.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:56 pm

For that slow turning starter...you could, before taking the starter out and giving it a good cleaning/lube/brushes etc, you might want to take the two hold down starter to case bolts out. Fold over piece of sand paper and give that area between the starter lugs and engine a good rub. Seen bad grounding can draw down a start motor. Do a search and you'll probly find the fix of running a ground wire from this area up to the negative of the battery. Some claim is works to give yer starter extra boost. I just don't find this is really needed, myself. Just me, but I find this work-a-round, is kinda like using a larger capacity battery cuz the bike don't start right away. To me, there's something else wrong of a bike don't fire in one or two revolutions. But... to each their own.
Flyingdog
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Andrew500 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Thank you both for the advice.

I will check/clean the ground contact on the starter. And maybe rebuild the starter this winter. I did come across some rebuild kits somewhere recently.

Good to know about not jumping a bike from a running car, Mark. I've done it many times, but I'll play it safe next time.

Thanks Again!
-Andrew
Andrew500
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV500