Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Project 920R Cafe' Build

Chop it, rake it, slam it, build it for show.
New parts, old parts, built from scrap. [Hammered out of bare stock & welded with sweat.]
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: Project 920R Cafe' Build

PostAuthor: gs58 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:45 pm

DGA wrote:I always look at frame loads in the front end as the forks are a lever arm trying to twist the headstock sideways. Try the stock XV and while riding at maybe 40 mph, give the bars a deliberate quick (small to start with!) turn and then feel the response as the stability of the rake and trail react and see how long it takes the bike to recover to a steady state. Mine was pretty spongy stock and raising the fork tubes up through the triple clamps eliminated most of this. But that exercise shows which way the front of the frame needs to be stiff in; the sideways twist, the front wheel and it's divergence from a straight line, which translates into head shake and in extreme cases, a tank slapper. So, the best frame design there would be with maximum section to make it resist the headstock's sideways twisting.

DGA, I think that a lot of the spongy feel that you got is due to the original puny front forks. Raising the forks through the triple clamps will reduce their length and therefore their ability to flex. Adapting stronger and shorter forks (R6 etc) will reduce flex enormously.

I really like what I see here though. It is simple, it is strong, and it is different to what we normally see. I'm watching with interest.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get really interesting until 150" - Craig Bourne, Philosophical Ridings: Motorcycles and the Meaning of Life

gs58
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1981 TR1
1979 GS1000S
2004 FZ1
2008 DR650
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: DGA » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Yes I said that it helped reduce flex by raising them as I did. The problem here, is that guys don't understand the load directions totally. There are some vertical loads, and the OP's frame will be incredibly strong in that direction, but that is not what makes a bike shake or wiggle. Looking from in front of the bike, the head stock will be twisted as the front wheel diverges from a straight line. Those that cut the back off their frame will feel this more as they think the stock frame to head mount will cover the lack of torsional strength, but that head mount is only pressed plate and will parallelogram, and the headstock will rotate sideways.
I hand the OP back his thread, sorry for the interruption....
'81 XV750, clip ons, 18" rear wheel, lowered 920 forks with twin discs and 1.5" spring spacers, 1100 brake master cylinder with CNC billet cap, -3 braided brake lines, lowered instruments and headlight, CNC billet mirror mounts, small billet turn signals with running lights, Koso tach/ speedo, stainless 2 into 1 stepped headers with reverse cone muffler, starter heat shield, 4 guage starter cables, rear exhaust heat shield, 4" round open air filter with billet CNC mount, TM38 flat slide Mikuni carbs, XV700 ported heads, BT-C05 cams, colder BP8ES NGK plugs, stiffened swingarm, polished engine side covers, polished rear peg mounts with carbon cover panels, single horn relocated, Sparto tail light with 3D printed lens, BSA tank kneepads, one off carbon fiber cafe seat with brown cover, fork gaiters, KDX200 rear shock, single tach/speedo with carbon fiber dash, red LED under tank and seat lights, black pearl paint with silver accents.
DGA
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1974 Kawasaki H2 750, 1981 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, 1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre, 1986 Kawasaki KDX200, 2003 Honda XR100, 2004 SDG140.

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:39 pm

Doing some more work on the frame. I made the mounts that goes from the heads to the frame and finished most of the welding. Still need to add the third mount from the frame to the head. Also I was planning on adding a rear support from frame to my CNC pieces as well as one more brace up front, but I'm going to wait until I get the tank, exhaust and seat figured out before I add more frame supports just in case I need clearance for that stuff. At this point I should be able to make it a roller pretty soon.
XV frame c2.jpg

XV frame c3.jpg

XV frame c4.jpg

XV frame c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 XV920R

PostAuthor: Southclaw » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:36 am

This thread gives me so much hope that I can also do this! I've been slowly plotting out my master plan, which includes a custom frame. But up until I saw this thread the other day I thought it could only be done by other means. Keep up the good work man!
Josh. 1982 xv920 cafe project.

Southclaw
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 xv920 virago

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:20 am

Is that a Kawasaki KZ rear wheel I spot in the background?
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:40 pm

I was able to make it a roller. I put the 08 CBR600rr forks back on the new frame but ended up using a CBR929 Triple clamp to get the correct brake caliper spacing for the RC51 SP2 wheel. The disks are 08 CBR600RR. The rear RC51 SP2 wheel was of course a direct bolt on to the RC51 swingarm. Hopefully this will keep me more motivated.
The next step is to figure out my tank and tail section I have several ideas just need to decide.
XV roller b.jpg

XV roller a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:13 am

Looks great! :GJ: Although compared to all your other trick bits the engine now looks like an antique.. :r:
The Flying Anvil XV750SE '82 - Custom rear subframe, Bar end mirrors, New indicators, New tail light, 18" rear wheel conversion, KOSO speedo, lithium battery, custom wiring harness, clipons, modified SR500 rearsets, Lucas replica switchgear, K&N air filter, many parts powdercoated
XV920 '81- Watsonian Monaco sidecar tug project-work in progress - top end rebuild time
TR1.1 '81 Basket case project - Work in progress - Sepp Koch style frame chop plus refinement, XVS1100 jugs piston crankshaft conversion, nanno's 9 plate clutch conversion, BMW r850r rear shock, spoke wheels XS650 front & rear, twin 320mm discs with Yamaha Blue spot calipers, XT500 tank, twin Webber carbs, home built exhaust (hopefully) seat and subframe, footrest hangers...
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE UK Model - The Flying Anvil - awaiting better weather

1981 XV920 - sidecar tug project bike - Watsonian Monaco sidecar to be fitted

1981 TR1 - Basket case project - bought completely dismantled and teaching me mechanics 101

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Picked up a tank on Ebay from a BMW 9T. Really liked the shape of it ever since it came out. It had some minor damage but nothing to serious. I did have to do some surgery to the underside to make it fit and I will have to cap off the hole for the fuel injection and add a petcock. It is an aluminum tank so there will be some TIG welding involved to make it work. The nice thing is there is plenty of room under the tank for the battery and all the electronics. After I get in mounted I am going to work on my tail section.
XV roller aa.jpg

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:23 am

Nice choice of tank. I've been wondering about a large GS tank to increase range between fill ups for my sidecar project!
The Flying Anvil XV750SE '82 - Custom rear subframe, Bar end mirrors, New indicators, New tail light, 18" rear wheel conversion, KOSO speedo, lithium battery, custom wiring harness, clipons, modified SR500 rearsets, Lucas replica switchgear, K&N air filter, many parts powdercoated
XV920 '81- Watsonian Monaco sidecar tug project-work in progress - top end rebuild time
TR1.1 '81 Basket case project - Work in progress - Sepp Koch style frame chop plus refinement, XVS1100 jugs piston crankshaft conversion, nanno's 9 plate clutch conversion, BMW r850r rear shock, spoke wheels XS650 front & rear, twin 320mm discs with Yamaha Blue spot calipers, XT500 tank, twin Webber carbs, home built exhaust (hopefully) seat and subframe, footrest hangers...
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE UK Model - The Flying Anvil - awaiting better weather

1981 TR1 - Basket case project - bought completely dismantled and teaching me mechanics 101

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Working on the tail section. I was able to make a subframe tail section out of tubing. It also ties the rear of the frame to the billet parts for added strength. I am going to add some pieces to the back of the tail section to fill it in. The muffler will run under the tail and exit at both sides of the rear part of it. This part is removable so I could make other tail sections later on to give the bike a whole different look.
XV subframe a.jpg

XV subframe b.jpg

XV subframe c.jpg

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:10 am

:pop:
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Fri May 12, 2017 10:35 pm

Made a seat pan out of fiberglass. I taped everything off first and laid down several layers of mat. After it hardened I shaped it to fit. I'm sure I'll be itching for a bit, but happy with how it came out. Just need to add a couple of mounts then I'll glue in and shape the seat foam.
XV seat a.jpg

XV seat b.jpg

XV seat c.jpg

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: subheatadey » Sat May 13, 2017 6:28 am

You Sir are utterly bonkers :GJ:

subheatadey
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: Virago XV 750 1983

PostAuthor: Tank126 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:52 pm

Keep it up Mate!
One day I hope to have access to the equipment so i can try something like this!
Slowly building up my tools / knowledge.

Tank126
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 Virago XV920

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:04 pm

I did some more work on the seat. I glued in several pieces of foam and shaped it to form. I then covered it with a final thin layer of foam mat that helped keep it all together. I'll probably wait till I get closer to finishing the bike to get it upholstered so I don't have to worry about damaging it.
XV seat d.jpg

XV seat e.jpg

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Finished the muffler. The can is a Two Brothers pipe that I shortened to fit under the seat. The tip was fabricated from 2 Mercedes exhaust tips a short piece of tubing and a couple of jigsaw pieces to close it all in. I cut the tip off the muffler and made a mount that bolts it all together. Getting it all to line up was a ***** but worked out great. I am going to make a heat guard between the seat and muffler. Next is the exhaust system itself. I already know how I'm going to route it just need to find some time to make it.
XV muffler a.jpg

XV muffler e.jpg

XV muffler d.jpg

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:22 pm

Cool exhaust :GJ:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:20 pm

I'll say. Good for roasting chestnuts. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: ivogiev » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:15 am

Can't wait to see how you plan on routing the exhaust and what lengths for each cylinder you will use.

ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 XV920K

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:42 pm

Getting Back at it. I came up with a taillight and headlight. Cut the front cowl on a plasma out of aluminum and welded it up. Going to used 2 projector beam lights.
XV Head light c.jpg

XV Head light b.jpg

XV Head light a.jpg

XV Head light d.jpg

XV Tail light a.jpg

XV Tail light b.jpg

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PreviousNext

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Choppers Customs Café