Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Project 920R Cafe' Build

Chop it, rake it, slam it, build it for show.
New parts, old parts, built from scrap. [Hammered out of bare stock & welded with sweat.]
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Project 920R Cafe' Build

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:11 am

New to the site and just picked up a 920R that was crashed for $400 bucks. Have some of my own ideas and some good inspiration from this site. One thing I was looking at was a possible single sided swingarm since I have one laying around from a VFR800. Not sure if I can make it work until I get the bike torn down and size it up. Definitely some motor mods and more modern suspension and brakes are in the plans.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 XV920R
Sex: Male

Re: Project 920R Cafe' Build

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:40 pm

Finally getting back to this build after a couple of years. I was side tracked by other projects for a while. I did collect some parts and decided on a direction for this bike. I will be building a frame for this bike. I acquired an 08 CBR600rr front end, RC51 swingarm , shock and RC51 SP2 wheels.
I mounted the frame and engine into my frame jig and sized up the RC51 swingarm for starters.
XV920r 1b.jpg

XV920r 1a.jpg

XV920R c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: DGA » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Nice, taking on a whole frame, need a full design really, when going that route, but the jig helps a lot there.
'81 XV750, clip ons, 18" rear wheel, lowered 920 forks with twin discs and 1.5" spring spacers, 1100 brake master cylinder with CNC billet cap, -3 braided brake lines, lowered instruments and headlight, CNC billet mirror mounts, small billet turn signals with running lights, Koso tach/ speedo, stainless 2 into 1 stepped headers with reverse cone muffler, starter heat shield, 4 guage starter cables, rear exhaust heat shield, 4" round open air filter with billet CNC mount, TM38 flat slide Mikuni carbs, XV700 ported heads, BT-C05 cams, colder BP8ES NGK plugs, stiffened swingarm, polished engine side covers, polished rear peg mounts with carbon cover panels, single horn relocated, Sparto tail light with 3D printed lens, BSA tank kneepads, one off carbon fiber cafe seat with brown cover, fork gaiters, KDX200 rear shock, single tach/speedo with carbon fiber dash, red LED under tank and seat lights, black pearl paint with silver accents.
DGA
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1974 Kawasaki H2 750, 1981 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, 1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre, 1986 Kawasaki KDX200, 2003 Honda XR100, 2004 SDG140.

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:56 pm

I wanted to find a way to give the new swingarm more support rather than just the original mounting point off the back of the engine since the RC51 swingarm is much beefier and I will be running a 190 tire on it. I devised some mounts out of wood for mock up that utilize the stock peg mounts and support the outside of the swingarm. I used the original frame mount and made a center piece to locate the swingarm closer to the countershaft sprocket and give it a better alignment for the pivot point. I also raised the engine for a better swingarm angle. The new mock up pieces will serve several functions (1) Swingarm support (2) top shock mount (3) sub-frame mount (4) foot peg mount, and (5) Counter shaft outer bearing support. It took some time to get it all sorted but it looks like it should work really well. I will have these pieces made out of aluminum on a CNC.

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Artie » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:59 am

Any updates on progress???
Artie
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Location: East Coast of Australia - Bateman's Bay New South Wales Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 xv750 virago x 4 (too many??)
1983 Ducati Pantah
1954 Triumph Speed Twin (sold)

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:30 pm

Getting back to it. I finally designed my support pieces in CAD and had my CNC guy make them. They fit great. I also finished the rear mount that hold the swing arm and is a support for the shock. The supports also gave me a place to mount the foot pegs. Going to start on the main frame next.
XV r bracket.jpg

XV L2 bracket.jpg

XV L bracket.jpg

XV bracket.jpg

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: faffi » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:56 pm

Great skills and ingenuity :GJ:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Carter240 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:37 pm

I am such a sucker for CNC parts. Nice work!

Also what CAD program are you using? I have Fusion 360 but I have yet to make time to learn how to use it well.
The 12 Gauge Virago build thread

https://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=56557
Carter240
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 Yamaha Virago 920

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:18 pm

Carter240 wrote:I am such a sucker for CNC parts. Nice work!

Also what CAD program are you using? I have Fusion 360 but I have yet to make time to learn how to use it well.

I used Fusion 360 to draw these parts. It was the first things I've done in CAD. I had a friend show me the basics and then took my time learning how to use the program. It takes a bit at first ,but once you figure it out it's really great. I still have a lot to learn and there are plenty of tutorials online.
Here is a shot of one of the more complicated pieces I did. It is the main cover for the sprocket, and support for the other parts it also will be a outer bearing support for the countershaft. You can see how I designed the back side for that. I must of measured all the points 100 times just to make sure everything was precise.
xv left mnt B v19 a.jpg

xv left mnt B v19.jpg

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Looking forward to seeing what you will do for the rear exhaust, looks like it will be quite a tight squeeze.
The Flying Anvil XV750SE '82 - Custom rear subframe, Bar end mirrors, New indicators, New tail light, 18" rear wheel conversion, KOSO speedo, lithium battery, custom wiring harness, clipons, modified SR500 rearsets, Lucas replica switchgear, K&N air filter, many parts powdercoated
XV920 '81- Watsonian Monaco sidecar tug project-work in progress - top end rebuild time
TR1.1 '81 Basket case project - Work in progress - Sepp Koch style frame chop plus refinement, XVS1100 jugs piston crankshaft conversion, nanno's 9 plate clutch conversion, BMW r850r rear shock, spoke wheels XS650 front & rear, twin 320mm discs with Yamaha Blue spot calipers, XT500 tank, twin Webber carbs, home built exhaust (hopefully) seat and subframe, footrest hangers...
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE UK Model - The Flying Anvil - awaiting better weather

1981 XV920 - sidecar tug project bike - Watsonian Monaco sidecar to be fitted

1981 TR1 - Basket case project - bought completely dismantled and teaching me mechanics 101

PostAuthor: noidvh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:38 am

Nice project. What did you have to do in order to place the CBR600 front end?

noidvh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: '83 xv500

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:43 pm

noidvh wrote:Nice project. What did you have to do in order to place the CBR600 front end?

To make the CBR600RR forks work I had to cut and lengthen the steering stem and use different bearings that fit the XV frame and the CBR stem.
I will also have to weld new steering stops to the frame at some point.

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:20 pm

Working on the frame. I used box tubing to make the main part of the frame and welded it to the stock head stay. I designed and had two support plates cut out to box it in. The plates will attach to a custom bracket mounted to the head similar to stock. I had my frame come down closer to the head for more support. I also will be securing it with 3 bolts instead of 2 like the original. I did move the steering head stay closer, lower ,and at a more aggressive angle than stock for improved handling. Need to finish up the welding and make my mounts to the engine.
XV frame b.jpg

XV frame a.jpg

XV frame bracket.jpg

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:55 am

Nice work! that frame looks a lot narrower than stock, what tank are you planning to use?
The Flying Anvil XV750SE '82 - Custom rear subframe, Bar end mirrors, New indicators, New tail light, 18" rear wheel conversion, KOSO speedo, lithium battery, custom wiring harness, clipons, modified SR500 rearsets, Lucas replica switchgear, K&N air filter, many parts powdercoated
XV920 '81- Watsonian Monaco sidecar tug project-work in progress - top end rebuild time
TR1.1 '81 Basket case project - Work in progress - Sepp Koch style frame chop plus refinement, XVS1100 jugs piston crankshaft conversion, nanno's 9 plate clutch conversion, BMW r850r rear shock, spoke wheels XS650 front & rear, twin 320mm discs with Yamaha Blue spot calipers, XT500 tank, twin Webber carbs, home built exhaust (hopefully) seat and subframe, footrest hangers...
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE UK Model - The Flying Anvil - awaiting better weather

1981 TR1 - Basket case project - bought completely dismantled and teaching me mechanics 101

PostAuthor: faffi » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:01 am

I'm no frame builder, and I know this part basically is to attach the steering stem to the engine, with the engine doing most of a normal frame's job, but will the small dimensions be enough to resist sideways twisting? Or have you deliberately designed it to flex in that direction to aid suspension during a racing pace?
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:32 am

Fabrication wise I think this looks ok, the yamaha frame is not as stiff as what this will be unless the OP has used thin walled box section. There is a lot more sideways material in this than the original, vertically those triangulation plates will help a lot and the cylinder offsets help with eliminating flex too. I would make sure the head brackets are nicely braced but other than that the most flex will be in the front forks, really wants some nice bigger diameter modern items in there..
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:46 pm

rantingsmith wrote:Nice work! that frame looks a lot narrower than stock, what tank are you planning to use?

I am still a little undecided about the tank. I may end up using the stock tank with some modifications done to it. I don't plan on using a Mojave tank only because it has been so played. With the narrower frame I do have more options. After I finish the frame and mounts I will make a decision on the tank.

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: JAGspeed » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:04 pm

faffi wrote:I'm no frame builder, and I know this part basically is to attach the steering stem to the engine, with the engine doing most of a normal frame's job, but will the small dimensions be enough to resist sideways twisting? Or have you deliberately designed it to flex in that direction to aid suspension during a racing pace?

The frame I built is much stronger than the original Yamaha frame. The only reason the Yamaha frame is so wide is because it acts as the air intake to the carburetors. If you look at most single backbone frames they are much narrower and many of them the backbone is smaller than the steering head tubing. The Yamaha frame wall thickness is smaller than anything I used on my build. My rectangle tubing is 2"x1"x1/8 wall. and my side plate were cut out of 3/16 plate. Probably a little overkill, but with all the modern suspension, tires, and brakes I wanted it as stiff and strong as possible. Even with all that I was planning on adding in a couple things to add a little more rigidity.

JAGspeed
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:26 am

If you look at the Yamaha frame, carefully you can see where they welded in internal strengthening plates, also the tube welded in to serve as a tank locator adds stiffness but you are for sure stronger in the frame anyways.

Are you going for a classic cafe look? The narrower frame will give you much more choice in tanks anyway so it'd be silly to just use the Mojave. There is a whole series of repro polished aluminium and steel tanks being made in India that would look lovely on a classic cafe.. check here: fuel tanks from India Otherwise I always thought a tank from a Yamaha XJR would look good.

Cheers,

Rant.
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: DGA » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:14 am

I always look at frame loads in the front end as the forks are a lever arm trying to twist the headstock sideways. Try the stock XV and while riding at maybe 40 mph, give the bars a deliberate quick (small to start with!) turn and then feel the response as the stability of the rake and trail react and see how long it takes the bike to recover to a steady state. Mine was pretty spongy stock and raising the fork tubes up through the triple clamps eliminated most of this. But that exercise shows which way the front of the frame needs to be stiff in; the sideways twist, the front wheel and it's divergence from a straight line, which translates into head shake and in extreme cases, a tank slapper. So, the best frame design there would be with maximum section to make it resist the headstock's sideways twisting.
'81 XV750, clip ons, 18" rear wheel, lowered 920 forks with twin discs and 1.5" spring spacers, 1100 brake master cylinder with CNC billet cap, -3 braided brake lines, lowered instruments and headlight, CNC billet mirror mounts, small billet turn signals with running lights, Koso tach/ speedo, stainless 2 into 1 stepped headers with reverse cone muffler, starter heat shield, 4 guage starter cables, rear exhaust heat shield, 4" round open air filter with billet CNC mount, TM38 flat slide Mikuni carbs, XV700 ported heads, BT-C05 cams, colder BP8ES NGK plugs, stiffened swingarm, polished engine side covers, polished rear peg mounts with carbon cover panels, single horn relocated, Sparto tail light with 3D printed lens, BSA tank kneepads, one off carbon fiber cafe seat with brown cover, fork gaiters, KDX200 rear shock, single tach/speedo with carbon fiber dash, red LED under tank and seat lights, black pearl paint with silver accents.
DGA
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1974 Kawasaki H2 750, 1981 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, 1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre, 1986 Kawasaki KDX200, 2003 Honda XR100, 2004 SDG140.

Next

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Choppers Customs Café