Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Cusstout's Chopper

Chop it, rake it, slam it, build it for show.
New parts, old parts, built from scrap. [Hammered out of bare stock & welded with sweat.]
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: Cusstout's Chopper

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:41 am

:GJ:

Cusstout 1100 wrote:some guy from Quebec dissed the Canadian flag theme; she replied that we're Canadian and love our country - At's my girl!

That's pretty low alright..specially being from the same country. Too bad it's so easy for these basement dwelling, keyboard punch'n, bottom feeders to blurt out anything.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:01 am

Cusstout 1100 wrote:So that brings the project to an end.

Yea right..like that's never been said before. Specially on something built from the ground--up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:51 am

Yea, well... I guess it's always to be expected with "amateur" engineering. :;: The Cap'n hasn't been without initial gremlins: The first ride out to get the MOT safety for insurance and licence plate revealed a couple new grooves in the rear tire. "Damn", I thought, must've picked up a rock in their driveway and jammed it between the fender and tire. Passed the safety OK though, everything was functioning even through their test ride. Got her home and found the signal light fuse blown. I had fabricated a "conduit" out of a steel brake line and welded it inside the fender to bring the wires from the right rear signal over to the left where I had another conduit running just inside the edge for the rear harness to get to under the seat. That was a mistake; the tire made contact with the cross-over conduit, wore through it and cut the wires for the right side. OK, take the rear wheel off, grind the tack welds off and remove that conduit, drill a hole through the fender, install a grommet and run new wires from the right signal, under the seat to the connector near the battery box. Padded the bottom of the seat with foam, Gorilla taped the wires to the top of the fender and there....I fixed it. Except at about 180 kms into a 220 km ride, the guy behind me tells me every time I go to pass a vehicle, he sees smoke coming from the back fender. Turns out the padding under the seat wasn't enough to protect the wires and they had worn through and were shorting out....melted power and ground wires together and melted the paint through to bare metal on the fender until finally blowing the fuse. So, sand down the area and re-paint. Ran new wires along the outside of the fender, just at the edge of the fender so they can't be seen unless you're standing on your head. :bg: Problem solved.

2nd issue (and I can't be blamed for this one except for my frugal Scot ancestry...) Discovered the cheap E-bay petcock I had installed was no longer functioning, as in wasn't shutting off the gas. I hadn't synched the carbs on the bike, only on the bench, so removed the tank to get at the adjusting screw. Surprise! Pissed right off that the petcock didn't shut off and pissed gas all over until I got the line back on and found a cap for the spigot. Ended up buying a Yamaha OEM manual petcock and solved that problem as well

I've put 1100 kms on her so far, getting to really like the ride (so much so that I'm getting a decal made for my 1100 that says "My Old Flame"). If I mount my roll bag vertically on the sissy bar, she becomes really comfortable. Everyone asks how my back is with the hard-tail, but so far I haven't noticed any problems in that regard. She feels real solid/steady on the highway, and no problem handling the corners and keeping pace with (or running away from) the group.

I do have one little nagging concern, and that is that I may have made the rear fender clearance a little too close; I never considered tire growth (centrifugal force of the tire) when building/mounting the fender. It's fine at 110 kph, but I'm wondering if I'm still getting some rubbing when passing at speeds of 140 or above ????

And, I need bigger main jets for the carbs, and JETS R US aren't shipping outside the U.S. because of border issues with the pandemic situation. I can't find an outlet in Canada for them. She cruises fine, and plugs look good, but stumbles at W.O.T., so I have to sort of sneak by when passing, and I'm not used to doing that!

So that's the long story/update on Cap'n Canuck for now; she's been a hit wherever I park it...I'm going to have to start charging other bikers for having their pictures taken on it. lol :bg:
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: koabd1978 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:46 am

beautiful bike , amazing work you did to it , gives me hope and ideas for mine ! and I really dig the Cap'n Canuck theme again great job !!!!

koabd1978
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 xv750 virago
2006 HD wide glide

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:39 pm

Thanks for the kind words! We're just breaking spring here so I've had the bikes out for a couple short runs, I'm always happy when they fire right up with no problems after sitting all winter, so I've put a couple hundred kms on them - gets the blood flowing. Last fall just before putting her away, my daughters thought they should take some "Easy Rider" type pics. So we went out on a fairly quiet secondary highway - them in my truck and me on the Cap'n - and off came the helmet just for the "photo shoot". Figure the silver hair kinda matches the chrome on the bike. :bg:

thumbnail_received_335769404466160_Original.jpg

The shutter speed was away to fast so it stopped motion - we were actually cruising at 100 kph.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Ita » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:57 pm

Naughty... But nice :GJ: Great work mate... :bg:

Ita
I'm a black bat baby,
Bangin' on your window pane.
Well I'm a black bat babe,
I need my high octane.

Ita
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 XV 750 Virago (Café Racer Retirement Project)

Previous

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Choppers Customs Café