Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

My 1982 XV1000 Bobber

Chop it, rake it, slam it, build it for show.
New parts, old parts, built from scrap. [Hammered out of bare stock & welded with sweat.]
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: My 1982 XV1000 Bobber

PostAuthor: faffi » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:09 am

Always great when it runs :cl:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: SteveO531 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:51 pm

Put some insurance on the bike and have about 160 miles on it so far. Loving it.

I parked it the first night and the next morning I noticed some oil had leaked out of the final drive. Not from the drain bolt, but from the front where the drive shaft enters the final drive. I pulled the rear end off the bike and I'm seeing there is a bearing retainer that needs to come off, but it looks like I need a special tool with 4 lugs on it to spin the retainer out of the housing. Any ideas on what to do here?

I'm thinking of finding a socket or piece of pipe that would fit and then grind off part of the pipe to leave the four lugs that I need to engage the bearing retainer. I would then weld a piece of bar to the pipe to spin it.

I'm going to go ahead and order replacement o-rings - looks like I need 3 of them for the front of the final drive.

Another question - According to the parts diagram, it looks like I can pull out the driveshaft and replace the 3 o-rings without removing the pinion gear. Is that correct? I'm hoping that I can replace the seals without having to worry about creating additional problems.
SteveO531
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 xv750 virago

PostAuthor: SteveO531 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:50 am

Can't believe it's been almost a month since my last post, but I finally got everything completed and can say that the bike is done. I've been waiting on the engine cover piece for the past few weeks, but finally got it this week and it's painted and on the bike.

Some things that I did in the last month:
  • Replaced the leaky seals in the final drive. This was a comedy of errors, but I was able to replace the 2 oil seals and it's working fine now. Who knew that the pinion collar was a left-handed thread. Doh!
  • Wrapped the exhaust.
  • Tidied up the fuel lines and made them shorter.
  • Replaced the $16 eBay brake master cylinder with a better one.
  • Replaced the starter relay with a new one. It happened a few times where I would get back from a ride, turn the key to off, and the starter motor would start cranking over. Did I mention that the key was off? :ops: I have an almost bare-bones wiring, so it was either the starter relay, or the starter solenoid. I had an extra fuse slot in my fuse panel, so I changed the starter relay so it only has power when the key is on. I've ridden the bike a few times since I put in the new relay and it seems to work fine now.

I think that about covers everything new. Here are the latest pictures:
16805 "Lucky 87" doesn't have anything to do with the bike. "87" is the answer I always gave to my kids when they asked me questions like "How much did that cost?", or "How many more miles until we get there?" It made sense to me to add it to the bike.

I have about 600 miles so far and I've only lost one bolt (bolt that locks the shift linkage to the splined gear on the bike). I replaced the bolt - this time adding some thread locker.

I think I'm going to take some time off from another bike project and try to enjoy riding this one before winter comes. I believe I have enough parts left over from the 1981 and 1982 virago bikes that I can build another. I'm really leaning towards doing a Street Tracker type bike. It seems most people tend to make the early viragos into Cafe Racers, but they just aren't my thing.

Thank you to everyone who commented, or contributed to this thread and other threads on this forum. This forum was a valuable resource as I built this bike.
SteveO531
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: SteveO531 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:19 pm

Carb question. Now that the bike is put away for the winter, I'm dreaming up some changes that I want to make for the spring. I'm thinking of replacing the stock carbs with TM 38 Mikunis. Anyone have an opinion, good or bad? I want to stay with the 2 carb setup.
SteveO531
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Previous

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Choppers Customs Café