Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Cusstout's Chopper

Chop it, rake it, slam it, build it for show.
New parts, old parts, built from scrap. [Hammered out of bare stock & welded with sweat.]
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: Cusstout's Chopper

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:36 am

:GJ:

Cusstout 1100 wrote: Wife was away, so the first two bakes/cools took place in her kitchen oven :;: .

Oooh...that'll give the next batch of cookies that down-home-earthy aroma. Just smile and say: Scrumptious :bg: .. :xmas:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:30 am

Anything new & exciting going on with yer chopper? Did Santa come thru with yer upholstery?..Man-0-Man..that fella is quite the "jack of all trades". :;:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:37 pm

Yep, the jolly fat guy came through. :bg: There was a nicely wrapped box about 5" square and 5' long under the tree. Inside it was 2 yards of black 2-way stretch upholstery material and a large spool of red thread from Sailrite. I had written out all the specs, description, item numbers etc. of my "research" from their website and left it out where it could easily be seen (hint, hint...). I'd stumbled across their website when looking for info on "upholstering motorcycle seats", or some such wording; they popped up because they have a very good You Tube tutorial video on the subject. Actually, they have two videos, one with pleats on a simple seat, the other is a more complicated plain cover. Of course touting their product lines, but worth checking out if anyone is interested in building their own, or re-upholstering an OEM seat. Because I don't have a source for that type of product(s) locally, and because we like to "one stop shop" when we have to pay freight, they got the order. Just a comment on their website: they have an excellent selection of materials, and recommend thread type and size for the material and compatible with home sewing machines. All helpful info for a guy like me who knows nothing, or very little on the subject. I think their prices are reasonable/ competitive.

So now the crash course in sewing begins. :ops:

Oh yeah, and another small package under the tree from youngest daughter, turned out to be a "Guardian Bell" with the Canadian flag on it. Perfect for Cap'n Canuck. (Maybe it's the superstitious nature of our Scottish/Irish heritage, but we have them on all our bikes....)
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:06 am

Cusstout 1100 wrote: I had written out all the specs, description, item numbers etc. of my "research" from their website and left it out where it could easily be seen (hint, hint...).

:GJ: ..same tactics Ralphie used to get his Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle. :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Flaekingr » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:21 am

This has been an awesome read! Just what I needed to inspire me to get in the workshop tomorrow and start tearing my 750 down.
Flaekingr
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 xv750 Virago "Moby Dick" cos getting this bloody thing fixed up is my white whale!!
2019 Lifan xv250, getting shoehorned into my CCW Heist frame

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:12 am

Cusstout:
Was at the LBS couple weeks ago. Kinda looked at these: https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/chrome- ... 391568.sku ....and was going to mention, when I replaced my mirrors..I didn't use the mirror's holder bosses, cuz of the odd angle they'd be put at, cuz of the handlebar swap. I opted, instead, to redrill the lever's pivot points and put the mirror's stem thru there. Using a ground down bushing and shaker washer, never had one work loose....yet. Actually, just used a bushing on just 'one' bike. The other is just using the mirror's bolt as the pivot pin. Thought this maybe a consideration, since you mentioned having to bend the arm to get the angle you want.

Well, I should take that back, cuz 'my' mirror did work loose at one time. Probly cuz the the cheap-arse metal things are made of now-a-days. Little trick that I've used forever, since I only own, maybe, three taps. :bg: Whenever I have to re-tap, I just get at least "two" bolt/studs I'll be using. One of them will become my tap. I just grind out a wedged portion of the bolt for the relief...voila..a tap. I can thank my Grandfather for show'n me this trick, some 50yrs ago. :bg:
HomeBrew tap.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:46 pm

Damn! Computer crashed just after my last post; new hard drive and system upgrade puts a big dent in my play money budget, so mirrors and speedo are on hold for the time being. I've been checking out the Emgo line; my handlebars and mufflers are by them and seem to be good enough stuff at the right price. They have a few of those clamp-on mirrors available and I can get them through a CDN site free delivery. So I'll likely go that route, and buy a M10 left hand thread die and tap so I can use the original Virago mounts. The thing I like about the Emgo mirrors is that i can cut the arms to whatever length I want. I'd be drilling out a pair of nuts to re-thread to the M10 left and right for locknuts.

I have a good collection of taps thanks to my life as a Mechanical Millwright in younger years, especially Standard Thread from machine screw to 3/4". Nice to have the 3-tap sets, starter,#2 and plug. My metric sizes are just a small cheap set, but suffice in most cases. The taps are all what I would call #2, or combination starter/#2, so don't thread to bottom in a blind hole. I'll be trying Flying dog's suggestion for finishing those kind of holes in the future; a "home-made plug tap".
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:31 am

Cusstout 1100 wrote:Damn! Computer crashed just after my last post; new hard drive and system upgrade

Ah-Man, that's the pits! Was kinda wondering. Thought maybe ya had a total black-out from the snow. Stuff just won't stop fall'n round here. Hell..high country got 10'-12'..so far. We're getting slammed again, tomorrow thru Tuesday.
Hope you can at least retrieve your data, pics or anything important, from the dead drive.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:03 pm

Thought you may get a chuckle outta this. Been long time user of Fizik saddles...just got this email...thought wow..now if that could be adapted to our saddles. No more monkey butt.. :id: :bg:

https://www.fizik.com/us_en/antares-ver ... tore=us_en
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:47 pm

Wow! And only $400. My son used to road-race and time trial bicycles - he wouldn't have flinched at that price...if it was also light weight ("My nuts are titanium"). Custom wheels and tires at $1,000 a piece (got them at a bargain price), carbon fibre frames, etc. But the old guy here will have to stick with his gel inserts to get some comfort within a meager budget. By the way, when he quit racing, he moved on to Ducati - go figure.
:;:

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Cusstout 1100 wrote: By the way, when he quit racing, he moved on to Ducati - go figure. :;:

No doubt. :;:

Bike shop I get stuff from does lotta work for Colorado's pro riders...Unbelievable the bucks dropped on a BICYCLE! :bg:

Cusstout 1100 wrote: But the old guy here will have to stick with his gel inserts :;:

Hmmm, sooo... you wear those cutzy spandex thingies? Now....I don't go that far. :r:

Your son may get a chuckle outta this...My first serious bike..81' Schwinn Deluxe Varsity. 30# of steel. Still hang'n in the garage.
Bicycle - Copy.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Nope, no spandex here. I don't use any transportation devices that don't have a motor. :bg: So my regular "biking" apparel is all leather. :cl: . Many years ago I had a Peugeot 10-speed...that ended up in some South American country through a charitable organization my son supported at the time. It didn't have any gel in the saddle....just that old-fashioned molded leather type with no springs either. Cap'n Canuck does have gel in the seat in a strategic location. I think I mentioned one time that one of the biggest advantages of custom fabrication is just that: customization to suit yourself!

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:45 am

Cusstout 1100 wrote:just that old-fashioned molded leather type with no springs either.

Ah..sounds like a Brooks. Supposedly one of the most comfortable....personally..."I don't See It". :bg:

Soo..how ya come'n on your (motorcycle) saddle? I'm sure this isn't new to you..one of the most indispensable tools in upholstering.
DSC_0001 - Copy.JPG

To this day..my mom wonders where her electric knife went to. Hmm..one of life's little secrets..I guess. :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:08 am

Nosey.PNG

Anything "New & Exciting"? Pretty boring round here..(Colo). Nother 6" snow job few days ago...50°, now. So it's bout gone. Got all setup to change side cover gasket..and wouldn't know it, can't find the only "one" I've had, lay'n around for years. Figures. Did finally get around to ordering braided line for wifes' bike. So I gots that little job to look forward to. You ever get your seat figured out (more importantly...sewing lessons..IE: straight seams? :bg: and/or mirror situation? ) Pics, if ya have some.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:45 pm

Same old...every time I get the driveway down to bare concrete we get some more white stuff. I make sure I keep a strip bare along one side so when the street finally clears up I can get out - probably another month anyway. But I digress.... I found an '84 with WIRE WHEELS!!! :bg: But it's about 1,200 miles from here, and they're asking $1,000 firm. :ops: Too much by the time I went to pick it up, I'd be lucky to flip it and get my money back. It's missing some parts, but I have them, so that's not a big deal. Plan would be to switch wheels with the Cap'n and then get rid of it - we don't need another one since there's already 6 Viragos in the stable and a '75 XLCH Sporty among 3 riders. But economics will prevail and I guess I'll end up stripping, and a combination of buffing and painting the OEMs.

Not much to report except this (sampler? :;: ) little piece of practice material with experiments in stitch length, tension, width of pleats, etc. But since then, I've acquired some better, heavier thread (it's red because I want the stitching to be somewhat decorative) so it's back to the drawing board. I'll be using 1 1/4" width for the pleats, or rolls, whatever you call them?

IMG_3923.JPG

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:46 am

Ditto on the snow factor..just won't let go this spring. Gone riding few times, so far. Actually ticked 70° last week, but dropped again w/white stuff. Kinda holding steady lately (around 50ish), but April is/can be our snowiest month. The biggest draw back with nice weather this early..draws out some of the crazy bike riders, too. You know the type: groups of 10+/crouch rockets/scream'n @10K, front wheels skywards. Oh-looky at me..how cool....yea right. :;: No wonder our insurance is so frikk'n high.
Yea...I've always thought red (silver-close second) was the best color against black. Unfortunately, it does show-up the oops factor, pretty easily. Not being anywhere near an upholster, I would think we (or I) could call anything..whatever we want. Pleats, tucks, rolls, tuck & roll w/pipe'n. Who cares, it's our stuff... :bg: I'm sure the experts will substitute the right words, when it becomes necessary. Besides..the oops is where the uniqueness comes into play. :cl:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:54 pm

Just about finished...still waiting to get the upholstery done; wife seems reluctant to tackle it, it's looking more all the time that I'm going to have to take it on myself. I have enough materials to do it twice, so we'll see... Meantime, took care of a couple details.

For the life of me, I couldn't find a coil cover for it, maybe it didn't come with one, I dunno. Did find one through the forum, but by the time I would pay shipping on it, it was too expensive for my liking. So I decided to make one. Carbon fibre would have looked pretty trick, but I couldn't come up with a small piece to do it with, so resorted to fiber glass. made a male mold of what I wanted out of wood, then cast a female mold out of plaster of Paris. First one broke, but I persisted, cast another one, and was able to lay up a pretty decent cover (if I do say so myself). Fits well, but it's only good for 750's or those 1000, or 1100's that have done away with that goofy little box on top of the OEM coil covers.

IMG_3976.JPG

Wooden copy on left, plaster mold center and finished product on the right, painted to match the red on the bike.

Also decided since I'd given up on the idea of spoke (wire) wheels, that I should do "something" with the OEMs. So I stripped the clear coat off them, then starting with 180 grit and working up to 2000, then two grades of buffing compound and a polish on the exposed aluminum. The ridges on the five-spokes still had the milling machine marks on them, so it was a bit of an undertaking. Patience is a virtue and damn the tender finger tips at the end of it all. Took many hours to accomplish that, and a total of 10 hours just to mask them for the paint; again it's candy red with red 'flake to match the tank and fenders. It doesn't show well in the digital pics, but here's a look at the finished front wheel.

IMG_3965.JPG

So that's the progess report to now....getting anxious to ride the ol' girl; had her out of the garage to rearrange some stuff, and got to ride her back in, but that's all for now.

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Wed May 20, 2020 7:43 pm

Nice work [emoji106]
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu May 21, 2020 1:19 am

Yes, indeed. Very nice.

Cusstout 1100 wrote: had her out of the garage to rearrange some stuff, and got to ride her back in, but that's all for now.

Yeowser...that's a sure way to control Monkey Butt. :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:38 pm

Well, the wife finally relented and sewed up the upholstery for me. Her machine isn't heavy-duty enough to really do a great job, but she persisted and ended up with a more than adequate job, her first attempt at upholstery!
So that brings the project to an end....for now, maybe there'll be a 1,000 or 1100 motor swap in the future, or other mods if I think I want to change anything. My daughter posted some pics she'd taken on a different Virago site and some guy from Quebec dissed the Canadian flag theme; she replied that we're Canadian and love our country - At's my girl! A couple weeks ago, I entered her in a local show & shine for cars, trucks, bikes and she ended up tied for first place with a resto-mod '53 Chevy pick-up. :bg: There was a poker derby included as part of the day, but every time I put my helmet on, someone would come by and ask about the bike, so I didn't get to leave the display area to complete my 5 card hand. I've put on 800 kms. (about 480 miles) since getting her safetied, insured, and plated; pleased with how solid she feels on the highway and manoeverability around town. Synchronized the carbs and did a bit of fine tuning to get her running really nice; seems to me she cruises at a bit lower RPM with the 1100 final drive.
Here's a few different views of "Cap'n Canuck" all done!
IMG_4004.JPG

IMG_4005.JPG

IMG_4006.JPG

IMG_4007.JPG

IMG_4008.JPG

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PreviousNext

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Choppers Customs Café