Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920 Part 2

Chop it, rake it, slam it, build it for show.
New parts, old parts, built from scrap. [Hammered out of bare stock & welded with sweat.]
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:36 am

From Haynes:

0BC97807-A53C-4B83-ACFD-F5B62B23F54C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Thanks UM and Jake.

I opened up the carbs and looked at the jets and pilot. The numbers are correct.

So I'll go with that as the baseline and adjust if necessary.

Just ordered new clamps so when I get them, I'll put the carbs back on and start routing fuel lines.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv920j

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:19 pm

Been trying to track down a diagram that shows fuel and vacuum lines routing for the '82 920. Clymer only shows the 750 and 1100 versions. Nothing about it in the manual and I've not had much luck searching through this forum. Might someone have something handy?

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Mr Biggz » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:15 pm

Can you share some detailed pics of your tank lift and how the tank is mounted to it? I’m perplexed by how you can take the tank off with the cover welded on the back of the tank. There’s some pictures on earlier pages, but it’s difficult to make out the details. Sucks they botched it at the shop, but I’m interested to see how you fixed it.

Thanks!

Al

Mr Biggz
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 Virago XV920J

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:48 pm

Mr Biggz wrote:Can you share some detailed pics of your tank lift and how the tank is mounted to it? I’m perplexed by how you can take the tank off with the cover welded on the back of the tank. There’s some pictures on earlier pages, but it’s difficult to make out the details. Sucks they botched it at the shop, but I’m interested to see how you fixed it.

Thanks!

Al

Happy to do that. Let me take some pictures tomorrow and I'll post them and then show where they botched it so neither you or anyone else will make the same mistake.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:06 pm

The clamps finally came in so I did some work on the carbs and boots today so that I can put them back on the engine.

Since the carbs were still off, I decided to do the pilot jet modification as outlined in an article in the tech section ("Vitalizing the Virago" by Joe Minton). I took out the #41 pilot jets and hand-drilled them with a #76 drill which is readily available at any hobby store. The particular drill I got (pictured) was mounted in a grip so I could grip it with my forefinger and thumb and turn it by hand while holding the pilot down on the flat surface of the table and positioning and driving the drill and keeping it as straight as possible, at the same time.

handdrill.jpg

I managed to find a bottle of wintergreen oil at Bed Bath and Beyond, for boiling hardened rubber. I followed a formula posted on the adv rider forum (I have a boxer) which calls for 2 oz of wintergreen oil to every 48 oz of water. I boiled the carb boots and the crankcase vent hoses for 30 minutes, and they came out quite pliable. I'll treat them with mother's back to black before I put them back on.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to clear out the dust and debris from inside of the frame which doubles as an airbox for the carbs. I'm thinking to just remove the air filter and stick a hose in, from an air compressor and just blast as much out of there as I can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: spectra » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:19 pm

Looks like progress :bg:

What size tires are you running on that now ?

spectra
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 83 XV920

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:25 pm

spectra wrote:Looks like progress :bg:

What size tires are you running on that now ?

Metzeler 880 Marathon tires, 130-80-17 front, 130-90-16 rear

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:48 pm

Today's weather was mild so I spent some time in the shed. I cleaned out the inner airbox by blasting it with a compressor/hose, and then got the carbs on. Takes patience and is tricky to wiggle in there as it is such a tight fit. I can see why some people elect for using a single carb.

carbs.JPG

I'll be working on hooking up the vent systems- just noticed that I don't have the plastic container that goes on the air vent pipe from the frame to the carbs, part# 4X7-14197-02-00. It's not available anywhere I look for it. Does anyone have a spare handy? Or is it okay to just bypass it? What purpose does it have anyway?

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: uncleromo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:49 am

Rare as hens’s teeth. Ebay ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/81-82-YAMAHA-V ... :rk:8:pf:0 ) or maybe one of the bikes on the site being parted out. Small but not extremely effective air filters. They connect the frame to the carb and provide relatively calm air at atmospheric pressure for the vacuum slides to function properly. Used ones should be thoroughly cleaned with dish soap and water. I believe there is a rebuild thread on these also.
UR

XV 981J
uncleromo
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920J

PostAuthor: faffi » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:14 am

I believe the foam in them is there to prevent oil vapour from entering the carbs via the hoses, but I am not sure. I cannot see them being vital; the foam inside mine were basically disintegrated, but I have not had any running issues.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920 Part 2

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks UR and Faffi,

If that's all they are, then I'm probably better off devising a workaround.. perhaps a longer tube with a small air filter at the end? Or just reroute it to the unused nipple that's on the inside of the frame, right below the mono-shock. I'd need a Y channel for that.

Where to get rubber hoses with 13mm ID, that's not too thick? Any suggestions?

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:59 pm

uncleromo wrote:Rare as hens’s teeth. Ebay ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/81-82-YAMAHA-V ... :rk:8:pf:0 ) or maybe one of the bikes on the site being parted out. Small but not extremely effective air filters. They connect the frame to the carb and provide relatively calm air at atmospheric pressure for the vacuum slides to function properly. Used ones should be thoroughly cleaned with dish soap and water. I believe there is a rebuild thread on these also.

Found the threads:

http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=29793

http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... f43e8ed355

And this is a good SBS:

http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... f&start=20

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:43 pm

Lucked out and snagged this set off ebay- from a '81 xv750

s-l1600.jpg

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:55 pm

While I wait for this to arrive- my focus goes to the brake/lever and MC.. I have a nissan brake lever which is a well-designed aluminum piece, but I hate the plastic MC and am going to replace it with an aluminum billet version:

p.jpg

I took apart the nissan MC and took out the plastic nipple that attaches to the lever. I will have to have an aluminum version of the bottom, wide part machined, drilled and tapped to take the aluminum MC.

nipple.jpg

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:21 pm

Had the day off from work, and it was unusually warm out so I got the chance to put in some good work on the bike-

Installed the new coils (thanks to Uncle Romo for the mount idea):

coils.JPG

Also decided to mount the R/R on the centerstand mount (which I'll get rid of) under the bike rather than on the passenger bracket mount as I felt there wasn't enough "grab" to drill and tap, because the thickness of the bracket isn't to my satisfaction.

RR.JPG

I guesstimated the placement with just enough clearance for the muffler, but we'll see when I get the muffler on Thursday. Hopefully the pipe won't run too close, but if not- the bracket is attached with screws so I can just unscrew it and swap it out if I can't get things to work in that area.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: spectra » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:58 pm

Was there an issue with the factory coils?

spectra
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 83 XV920

PostAuthor: uncleromo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:15 am

In my opinion poor starting caused more early Viragos to be abandoned than any other single issue. The starting system is weak, but add to that a marginal ignition system, and if the battery got a little drained the bike is either difficult to start or won’t start at all. It is difficult and costly to modify the starting system, it can be done with an XV 1000 stator cover and corresponding starter and parts but as stated difficult and expensive. Keeping the battery fully charged certainly helps, so when the bike is parked a “Battery Tender” is a good idea. The Ignition system is relatively easy and inexpensive to modify to achieve a hotter spark. The Accel 140408 coil is one component and I’ve found platinum/Iridium plugs, (I use Bosch Fusion 4506 ’s) help. I also use solid core plug wire. The impedance change has not yet caused any problems with the TCI. I’ve been running this combination for over 8 years with no problems. The fully charged battery and modified ignition system go a long way toward mitigating the poorly designed starting system.
UR

XV 981J
uncleromo
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920J

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:27 am

UM has explained it better than I could. As he mentions, the starting system is the weakest point of the Virago and any way I can improve it can only be a plus.

Mufflers and spark plugs came yesterday. I kinda cheaped out on mufflers and got 2 in 2 Mac slash pipes. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me in the @$$. Question: is it possible to get the down pipe on the rear cylinder without taking out the rear tire? Could anyone who has put theirs on, share their experiences with me? Much appreciated, thanks.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:22 pm

wrenchguy wrote:Mufflers and spark plugs came yesterday. I kinda cheaped out on mufflers and got 2 in 2 Mac slash pipes. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me in the @$$. Question: is it possible to get the down pipe on the rear cylinder without taking out the rear tire? Could anyone who has put theirs on, share their experiences with me? Much appreciated, thanks.

I asked questions on the exhaust subforum and apparently the rear wheel does have to come off, so I'll see if I can do that tomorrow if it's not too cold. It was 22 degrees today in the unheated shed. I had a space heater going but might as well have had a candle for a heat source.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Previous

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Choppers Customs Café