Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

Chop it, rake it, slam it, build it for show.
New parts, old parts, built from scrap. [Hammered out of bare stock & welded with sweat.]
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:02 am

Thanks for the photo references, they give me an idea. I'll continue to experiment.

BTW, when I clicked on the battery info on that website, there is a warning that all their r/r's are to be used with lead batteries only..?

Two others I'm looking at:

https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/Li ... tor-14_409

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHINDENGEN-MOS ... =R40&rt=nc

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: MA Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv920j
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: jonno51 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:06 am

wrenchguy wrote:Thanks for the photo references, they give me an idea. I'll continue to experiment.

BTW, when I clicked on the battery info on that website, there is a warning that all their r/r's are to be used with lead batteries only..?

Two others I'm looking at:

https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/Li ... tor-14_409

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHINDENGEN-MOS ... =R40&rt=nc



Yes but AGM batteries are so good I see no reason to go the lithium route unless you really need to save space
Tough on chrome, tough on the causes of chrome :;:
User avatar
jonno51
Senior Membership
Senior Membership
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:02 pm
Location: North Yorkshire, England Flag
Bike year & model: 1995 xv 1100 4PP Japan home market model
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:55 pm

Experimenting with new location for r/r. Although I won't have rear-set pegs, I'll still carry the rear peg brackets because I feel they afford good protection for the swing arm and drive shaft. Might as well hide the r/r behind the left one.

fromback.jpg


upperview.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: MA Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv920j
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:43 pm

Mine's behind the battery.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
User avatar
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Austin, Texas Flag
Bike year & model: '82 XV920R
Sex: Male

Re: The

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:45 am

Hellgate wrote:Mine's behind the battery.


I'll be tucking my battery under the gas tank, along with the M-unit blue and the TCI.

Don't want the hot r/r anywhere near that pile of electronics/wirings.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: MA Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv920j
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:53 am

Took off left and right side covers, and cam sprockets covers for paint removal, sanding, and polishing.

Right side looks good.

Left side (stator cover):

leftside.JPG


Stator:

stator.JPG


Looks good- no cracks in insulation, worn wires, or corroded contacts. I will test for resistance.

startergear.JPG


Starter gear looks good- doesn't look smashed up or worn out.

oilpumpchain.JPG


A little worried about the oil pump cam chain, it seems to be pretty loose. Is a cam chain guide supplied for '82 920 models? There doesn't seem to be one here.

dirtyrotor.JPG


Dirty rotor- looks like it needs a good cleaning. What's a good way to clean it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wrenchguy on Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: MA Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv920j
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: uncleromo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:10 pm

Your oil pump looks like it should. There is no guide or tensioner for the drive chain. All big Virago oil pump chains are loose. How loose is correct seems to be a guess. Your flywheel looks about like I would expect it to look. They’re kind of rough looking from the factory. Don’t know if you can get the oil pump off without pulling the flywheel, but it would be worth you while to clean the pick-up screen and the sump as long as you have it torn down that far. My original venture into rebuilding a Virago motor occurred when the pick up screen was so full of junk that the motor starved for oil and spun a bearing.
User avatar
uncleromo
Senior Membership
Senior Membership
 
Posts: 372
Images: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:27 pm
Location: Brentwood, CA Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV920J
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: minerma1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:13 am

A gen 2 Reg/Rect will fit on the foot peg bracket. I bolted mine to a piece of shaped aluminium and bolted that to the bracket. I did have to shape the bracket a little bit. I'm thinking if it does get a bit hot there, I will attach a heat sink to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

minerma1
Junior Membership
Junior Membership
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:47 pm
Location: Queensland Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 XV750 cafe two wheeled bastard child
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:54 am

uncleromo wrote:Your oil pump looks like it should. There is no guide or tensioner for the drive chain. All big Virago oil pump chains are loose. How loose is correct seems to be a guess. Your flywheel looks about like I would expect it to look. They’re kind of rough looking from the factory. Don’t know if you can get the oil pump off without pulling the flywheel, but it would be worth you while to clean the pick-up screen and the sump as long as you have it torn down that far. My original venture into rebuilding a Virago motor occurred when the pick up screen was so full of junk that the motor starved for oil and spun a bearing.


Boy, that's a good point. I don't have a flywheel puller... I'll have to look into it some more. When I let the oil out of the bike, I saw there was no metal on the magnet pickup of the oil plug, but there was quite a bit of sludge that came out at the bottom.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: MA Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv920j
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:55 am

minerma1 wrote:A gen 2 Reg/Rect will fit on the foot peg bracket. I bolted mine to a piece of shaped aluminium and bolted that to the bracket. I did have to shape the bracket a little bit. I'm thinking if it does get a bit hot there, I will attach a heat sink to it.


Thank you for sharing. I like how you concealed the wires in the recess of the bracket. That's an idea I'll be stealing from you.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: MA Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv920j
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:14 pm

As I mentioned, I took the covers off and hit them with citristrip out of a spray can. The paint came off fairly easily and I quickly rinsed all the parts in plenty of water. Next I used a big-ass brass wire wheel to remove the anodizing.

Now comes the laborious part of sanding, sanding, and sanding. Right now I'm to 1000 grits, but think I may have jumped ahead too soon- not sure. I'll just keep going and work my way up to 2000 grits and then polish the aluminum with the compounds.

covers.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: MA Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv920j
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:19 pm

I've been looking through this site for AM footpegs, but haven't come up with much in the way of reference. I'm thinking of using the knurled footpegs below and fit them into the existing footrest assembly.

https://www.2wheel.com/tc-bros-nomad-fo ... swodn_sFfA

Unless anyone has a better suggestion or idea.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: MA Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv920j
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: bbqb4racin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:34 pm

wrenchguy wrote:I've been looking through this site for AM footpegs, but haven't come up with much in the way of reference. I'm thinking of using the knurled footpegs below and fit them into the existing footrest assembly.

https://www.2wheel.com/tc-bros-nomad-fo ... swodn_sFfA

Unless anyone has a better suggestion or idea.



Try this >>>>>> viewtopic.php?f=61&t=58775
User avatar
bbqb4racin
Junior Membership
Junior Membership
 
Posts: 35
Images: 26
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:20 am
  Flag
Bike year & model: 1983 Virago 920
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:27 pm

bbqb4racin wrote:
Try this >>>>>> viewtopic.php?f=61&t=58775


Thanks- I think I'm going to stay with how "forward" the perch is- I just want to change the pegs.

Now, I'm starting to run into trouble as far as sourcing OEM parts.

Can't find 750 tank emblems. Also can't find the filter screens that go on the 750 petcocks. Anyone have any suggestions? I have been looking on ebay, and don't like the emblems there. No luck on the filters.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: MA Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv920j
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:00 pm

For emblems create a search on eBay. Also do a Google search for Yamaha Badges. There are aftermarket ones.

Finding NOS XV920R side cover badges took over four years!
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
User avatar
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Austin, Texas Flag
Bike year & model: '82 XV920R
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: uncleromo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Hate to admit it but I paid $75 for a pair on NOS ’82 XV750 Tank Badges. Fuel screens are likely the same for most of the 1982 Yamaha line, I know the XV750 and XV920 are the same. I also bought a complete thoroughly trashed XV750 tank on eBay for $15 because it had the cap with key and complete petcocks on it. Look on the internet for NOS Yamaha motorcycle parts. Might be able to find what you want. Might not like the price.
UR

XV 981J
User avatar
uncleromo
Senior Membership
Senior Membership
 
Posts: 372
Images: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:27 pm
Location: Brentwood, CA Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV920J
Sex: Male

Re: The

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Hellgate wrote:For emblems create a search on eBay. Also do a Google search for Yamaha Badges. There are aftermarket ones.

Finding NOS XV920R side cover badges took over four years!


:o: :o: :ops: :ssorry:

Thanks for the heads up. Might need to get a little creative here. Plenty of xs650 badges.. don't suppose I could get that style to work? I'm sure the screw holes are different, but perhaps fill in the old ones and drill new ones?

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: MA Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv920j
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:37 pm

uncleromo wrote:Hate to admit it but I paid $75 for a pair on NOS ’82 XV750 Tank Badges. Fuel screens are likely the same for most of the 1982 Yamaha line, I know the XV750 and XV920 are the same. I also bought a complete thoroughly trashed XV750 tank on eBay for $15 because it had the cap with key and complete petcocks on it. Look on the internet for NOS Yamaha motorcycle parts. Might be able to find what you want. Might not like the price.


Now that's a great idea, I'll be doing that as well. Thanks.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: MA Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv920j
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:24 pm

wrenchguy wrote:
Hellgate wrote:For emblems create a search on eBay. Also do a Google search for Yamaha Badges. There are aftermarket ones.

Finding NOS XV920R side cover badges took over four years!


:o: :o: :ops: :ssorry:

Thanks for the heads up. Might need to get a little creative here. Plenty of xs650 badges.. don't suppose I could get that style to work? I'm sure the screw holes are different, but perhaps fill in the old ones and drill new ones?
I'm guessing the Yamaha ones are the same. Find the part numbers and cross reference them.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
User avatar
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Austin, Texas Flag
Bike year & model: '82 XV920R
Sex: Male

Re: The "poor judgment" cafe project: '83 xv920

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:20 am

I ordered Yamaha badges originally for a snowmobile, but very similar in size. Only $34 dollars. I'll see what I can do with it, if not, I'm out only $30 something and I can just turn around and flip them on ebay.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: MA Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv920j
Sex: Male


PreviousNext

Post a reply


  • Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Choppers Customs Café

Who is online

Registered users: Albert100, Google [Bot], KC1100, Polkahero, PSTEPHENS415