Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Chopped rear end fender options

Chop it, rake it, slam it, build it for show.
New parts, old parts, built from scrap. [Hammered out of bare stock & welded with sweat.]
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Chopped rear end fender options

PostAuthor: Thera XV1100 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi all, so recently bought myself an xv1100 1996 model. It's had the rear end chopped and a single bobber style seat fitted.

Now the previous owner chopped down the original rear fender, dis quite a nice job actually. They then attached it to the frame just behind the seat and attached stays from the fender to the swingarm... this resulted in the suspension travel becoming non existent.

Now, I've got couple of options. Fit a bobber style rear fender or figure out how to attach the original rear fender without using the struts fitted to the swingarm.

Anyone any experience of fitting a bobber fender to the frame? Do they look goofy? Any idea how to support the original rear fender without the rear section of frame?

Any help / ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thera XV1100
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 XV 1100
Sex: Male

Re: Chopped rear end fender options

PostAuthor: dazthebiker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:47 pm

any photos of the bike as it stands, to better understand where its currently at.

What sort of look do you want when its finished?

dazthebiker
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 81 xv750

PostAuthor: dazthebiker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:50 pm

Im trying to get my head round how the suspension has been re-mounted! Hard to imagine a set up where a traditional bobber style mudguard and seat works with a twin shock set up. Bobber style is really suited to hardtails, or bikes with a monoshock that are designed to look like a hardtail

dazthebiker
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 81 xv750

PostAuthor: Thera XV1100 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:55 pm

dazthebiker wrote:Im trying to get my head round how the suspension has been re-mounted! Hard to imagine a set up where a traditional bobber style mudguard and seat works with a twin shock set up. Bobber style is really suited to hardtails, or bikes with a monoshock that are designed to look like a hardtail

Think I confused myself with that first post. The original fender is still on but is only attached to the frame with 2 bolts just behind the solo seat. It's then propped up with 2 struts attached to the swingarm. This effectively stopped the suspension from moving.

I've got a short bobber style fender which I'm thinking of attaching to the swingarm all tho I do like how this http://player1moto.com/yamaha-virago-xv ... -56-27-pm/

Looks with the fender still on the frame.

Thera XV1100
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 XV 1100

PostAuthor: Jbp222 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:09 am

Hey.

Did you figure out how to mount your fender? I will be doing the same pretty soon. I was going to weld on some fender mounts to the swing arm set behind the seat. Probably where your original ones were just down low actually on the swing arm. Then add the struts from the axle bolt to the fender. The fender should be nice and low to the wheel but travel with it as all the mounts are on the swing arm. Is that what you did?

Jbp222
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1984 yamaha virago 750

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Choppers Customs Café