Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Wire wheel and disc brake conversion

Chop it, rake it, slam it, build it for show.
New parts, old parts, built from scrap. [Hammered out of bare stock & welded with sweat.]
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Wire wheel and disc brake conversion

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:34 am

faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel
Sex: Male

Re: Wire wheel and disc brake conversion

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 am

You ever tried lace'n? I did ONCE. More than enough times for me. I can true a wheel, but lace'n. No way. :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Re: Wire wheel and disc brake conversion

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:11 am

Done it once and it was less stress than I imagined. I took a plate, drilled a hole in the center and put the wheel with the axle through the hole. I then made four fixtures around the rim - under and on the outside - so that after taking the wheel apart and fitting new spokes etc. I knew where I needed to be. Then it was just a matter of getting the spoke pattern correct and roughly through the wheel on my jig before doing the final truing.

However, you can get it ready built from Cognito motor. Probably around 1200 USD included bearings, lacing, truing, tyre and shipping if I am to guess.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Choppers Customs Café