Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

XV920 caferacer

Chop it, rake it, slam it, build it for show.
New parts, old parts, built from scrap. [Hammered out of bare stock & welded with sweat.]
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

XV920 caferacer

PostAuthor: thijsdj » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:12 pm

hi guys,

decided to share my project as well, bought the bike from a guy who let it sit for three years... so of course it was in pretty bad shape, thankfully it had been stored in a garage.

since i'm only 21 years old, and have to be at least 22 to drive a motorcycle with this amount of power, i still have some time to finish the build.

after siting for three years, the carburetor was filled with gum, so the first thing i did was remove it, clean it using ultrasonic cleaning. some of the chromed parts were unsalvageable, so i sandblasted those and painted them black. i also put a revision kit inside it.
before:
after:

i decided i wanted to do something different than the Mohave gas tank, and decided to use a tank of a Honda CB bol d'or.
the plan(great photoshoping skills):
the tank:

of course all the aluminium parts where in the worst shape possible, but working as a metal worker, i have a lot of tools at hand to get them nice and shiny.

i had to move my bike to another location, at this new place i had more space and the possibility to lift the bike, using an old hospital bed!
i also fitted the tank to the bike, fits beautifully!

i hope you guys like my process, as this is my first project bike, all of this is new to me.

the future plans for the bike are to modify the frame to fit the R1 rear shock, buy and mount a USD-front fork, and make a custom sub frame with custom seat.

thijsdj
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 virago xv920
Sex: Male

Re: XV920 caferacer

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:38 pm

Looking good so far - nice job on shining the aluminium! Does the tank fit without any mods to frame or tank?
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: thijsdj » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:54 pm

faffi wrote:Looking good so far - nice job on shining the aluminium! Does the tank fit without any mods to frame or tank?

sadly no, i had to chop off the old mounting point, both tank and frame, so i have to think of a new mounting solution.

frame outer side was 85mm, tank inside was 90mm (i believe)

thijsdj
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Thank you for the update :thumbs:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: zjohnson1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:25 pm

Very cool build. Honda tank looks awesome and the concept drawing with the tail section has great lines. I'm a big fan of the red ninja forks with honda tanks, be the first yamaha with a set!

honda-cx500-caferacer-7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zjohnson1
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920

PostAuthor: thijsdj » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:31 am

zjohnson1 wrote:Very cool build. Honda tank looks awesome and the concept drawing with the tail section has great lines. I'm a big fan of the red ninja forks with honda tanks, be the first yamaha with a set!

indeed! it looks awesome with the red ninja forks, but i'm in talks with a seller for a set of GSX-R forks, he is willing to sell for a good price.

thijsdj
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:48 am

I changed all of your images to thumbnails. The page loads faster and the post is more compact.

Please use the thumbnail feature in further posts for images over 800x600.

If anyone wishes to view the full size image, they can click the thumbnail and the image will expand

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain

Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: thijsdj » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:24 pm

thank you Jake! :thanks:

this weekend i bought a USD fork from a GSX-R , i'm going to post some pictures when i receive it!

i also have a question for you guys! does anyone have experience with "ACF-50 Anti Corrosion"??
the plan is to use this when the engine is soda-blasted, the specifications of the product says it is heat resistant, and also water and salt resistant ( it really does have good specifications :;: )

thijsdj
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: thijsdj » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:22 pm

last weekend i inserted the USD-fork , it went in pretty easy.
when comparing the two forks, the height difference made it look like it would be a nightmare..
but when i placed it in the bike and put it on the ground the stance of the bike was pretty good!
of course it will need different bearings, but except that i didn't have to modify anything!
the result:

thijsdj
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: jgyuen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:03 am

Never heard of a direct swap usd front end .. what bike did those forks come off of? Looks like a gxr wheel.
1982 xv750J - Cafe!

jgyuen
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: BC, Canada
1982 xv750 with a xv1000 swap.

PostAuthor: califbikeguy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:34 am

Great looking project, please keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
califbikeguy
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750 Yamaha Virago

PostAuthor: thijsdj » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:41 am

thanks,

the front fork came of a suzuki gsx-r, i still cant say it went in perfectly because i still have to fit the new bearings.. i hope this wont give me any problems.. :;:

i also put some new work into the bike, i started with the modification of the gas tank!

thijsdj
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: TexasSlinger » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:45 pm

Big difference in size on the forks. I used a cbr 600 swap and it was a huge deference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasSlinger
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 2010 Triumph Bonneville

PostAuthor: thijsdj » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:50 am

so it has been a while since i have posted anything, but i haven't been sitting still..

i finished the gas tank, the heat from the welding did turn the metal inside, but the painter said it wouldn't be any problem to fix it.

and split the spare engine in two, it went pretty good, and this weekend i will probably start with the second engine.
all of the parts looked pretty good, no weird scrape marks

i also found a cool looking paint scheme, i might paint it like this...

for the front fork conversion i had some trouble finding the right bearings, but eventually i found the right bearings in china.
i ordered them and now i have to wait until they get here.

thijsdj
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: faffi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:32 pm

I used to have a CB1100F with that paint scheme, albeit a Euro version with larger fairing and Comstar wheels.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: thijsdj » Fri May 19, 2017 8:56 am

so today i took the gas tank to the motorcycle and test fitted it, i think it looks great! cant wait to get the rest of the parts ready for fitment!

i also designed some block-off plates for the sandblasting, and a custom bracket to mount the tank.

the next step is to get the engine done.. i have decided to sandblast it, and paint it with VHT engine enamel, probably going for the silver paint, and put some black on to the cylinders. to make sure i wont get anything in the engine, i will make custom block-off plates, they are going to be from aluminium, with a rubber gasket behind it since it is only going to be used once.

thijsdj
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: reth » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:48 pm

I'd be lying if i said i wasn't interested in following along with your project. On a side note I was also looking at swapping in a set of gsxr forks for my build ( either that or those sexy red ninja forks ), if you don't mind me asking, which gsxr were they from ( year / model ) and i'm guessing you used the suzuki stem with the chineese bearings? if you have a link to the source for the bearing would be great. Thanks

reth
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 virago vx920

PostAuthor: thijsdj » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:02 pm

hi there!

i actually thought no one was reading this forum.. because of a lack of comments haha

i bought the bearings on aliexpress, sadly they are not a straight fit, a little bit of a size difference between the frame and bearing. so i'll have to do a little adjusting.. but if you are good with your hands you'll manage.
the link is : https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-1-PC-32906-30X47X12-Tapered-Roller-Bearing-2007906-30-47-12/885585348.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.N6YuCn

the forks came of a gsx-r 600 1997

back on topic;

i brought the cylinder to a mechanics shop, where they will hone the face of the cylinder.
i wanted to put a oversize piston in it, but couldn't find anything! not even on this site.. so ill have to go with a new set of piston rings and hope it'll last!

also removed all the bearings from the engine case.. only i have trouble dismantling the cardan drive, for the sandblasting. anyone here with experience doing this job?

also did some cleaning of the parts, inside the oil pump there were a couple of metal chips, so i removed those.

some pictures;

thijsdj
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Choppers Customs Café