Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Custom Vintage Style Bobber Project

Chop it, rake it, slam it, build it for show.
New parts, old parts, built from scrap. [Hammered out of bare stock & welded with sweat.]
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Custom Vintage Style Bobber Project

PostAuthor: hidalgo.ceo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Getting Ready to remove the ais system ... want to know if those 90's unthread from the head? If so, are those normally willing to come out or should I find some sort or cap as many others have. I want to run the KjS. Single carb manifold and make the engine smoother, and simpler.

Also if I remove the fuel pump and convert to single tank petcock setup besides the jet in the carb and fuel plumbing is there anything else I have to worry about.

Also I want to put another rear wheel on the front the 15 inch 5 spoke. After looking at it with reasonable machining it seams do able to keep the dual front breaks. I spoke with cafe 750 and he said possibly if some things like fork distace and available space were the same his kit may be adaptable. Has anyone swapped the 15 inch rear wheel on the front. If so is there a kit availale like the first gen kit?

Getting ready for a custom exhaust depending on price will dictate how extreme I go. Could I use standartd car exhaust pipe to the head. Like would a muffler guy with creativity be able to use standard exhaust pipe to get new curves from the front of the motor or should I connect to stock pipers under battery box to the rear. WOuld he be able to adapt or create a flange that will work. going for a upswept exhaust in the rear but want to move exhaust from under bike to the side. of motor for clearance.

hidalgo.ceo
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1994 XV1100 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Custom Vintage Style Bobber Project

PostAuthor: DGA » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:56 pm

The AIS pipes won't come out of the heads. I cut mine off flush with the fins and TIG welded a plug in them.
'81 XV750, clip ons, 18" rear wheel, lowered 920 forks with twin discs and 1.5" spring spacers, 1100 brake master cylinder with CNC billet cap, -3 braided brake lines, lowered instruments and headlight, CNC billet mirror mounts, small billet turn signals with running lights, Koso tach/ speedo, stainless 2 into 1 stepped headers with reverse cone muffler, starter heat shield, 4 guage starter cables, rear exhaust heat shield, 4" round open air filter with billet CNC mount, TM38 flat slide Mikuni carbs, XV700 ported heads, BT-C05 cams, colder BP8ES NGK plugs, stiffened swingarm, polished engine side covers, polished rear peg mounts with carbon cover panels, single horn relocated, Sparto tail light with 3D printed lens, BSA tank kneepads, one off carbon fiber cafe seat with brown cover, fork gaiters, KDX200 rear shock, single tach/speedo with carbon fiber dash, red LED under tank and seat lights, black pearl paint with silver accents.
DGA
Jr Mod
Jr Mod

Bike year & model: 1974 Kawasaki H2 750, 1981 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, 1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre, 1986 Kawasaki KDX200, 2003 Honda XR100, 2004 SDG140.

PostAuthor: hidalgo.ceo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:52 am

That's why your a bada$$ sir. so Cap em off wonder if I could adapt a temp gauge. would'nt that be cool. Knowing each cylinder temp. Thanks for the knowledge. One down some more to go. Keep em coming guys.

hidalgo.ceo
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: DGA » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:08 pm

I don't know all about the 110 fuel system, but think you will lose the lower tank, and I'm guessing you already have, with no pump.
'81 XV750, clip ons, 18" rear wheel, lowered 920 forks with twin discs and 1.5" spring spacers, 1100 brake master cylinder with CNC billet cap, -3 braided brake lines, lowered instruments and headlight, CNC billet mirror mounts, small billet turn signals with running lights, Koso tach/ speedo, stainless 2 into 1 stepped headers with reverse cone muffler, starter heat shield, 4 guage starter cables, rear exhaust heat shield, 4" round open air filter with billet CNC mount, TM38 flat slide Mikuni carbs, XV700 ported heads, BT-C05 cams, colder BP8ES NGK plugs, stiffened swingarm, polished engine side covers, polished rear peg mounts with carbon cover panels, single horn relocated, Sparto tail light with 3D printed lens, BSA tank kneepads, one off carbon fiber cafe seat with brown cover, fork gaiters, KDX200 rear shock, single tach/speedo with carbon fiber dash, red LED under tank and seat lights, black pearl paint with silver accents.
DGA
Jr Mod
Jr Mod

Bike year & model: 1974 Kawasaki H2 750, 1981 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, 1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre, 1986 Kawasaki KDX200, 2003 Honda XR100, 2004 SDG140.

PostAuthor: hidalgo.ceo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 pm

So guys I am at the point where I am getting close to finishing up this project. My biggest task at this point is modifying the factory rear wheel on the second gen 1100 to mount on the front while retaining facotry dual disk breaks. The front hub is roughly 9 inches in diamter on the drum side the front wheel width is 5 inches wide and the rear wheel is 4 ,so my idea is to get with this machinist to machine down the drum side to cleare the left side caliper and have him weld a plate or make adapter to run front rotors, as well as compensate some how for axle differnce.

I was wondering if the 8 cell lithium batteries give anyone problems. I want to remove the plate the old battery sat on and mount it flat under the seat. will removing the plate have any structual effects? I love the idea of seeing the back of the motor and swing arm move as I ride it. I am removing the fuel pump does that effect the need for cca.

Since I am removing the fuel pump I figue I switch to a 700 gas tank and run an idian larry style side tank
style gas feed since the kjs system is side mounted should be highly visible serviable and accessible. When I do this can i just roll up the old pump wiring and hide it and will this effect the gas light in anyway, if so not a problem I will install sight gauge on side of tank or should I retain factory 1100 tank and modify it? and will this effect ignition timing as I am getting rid of ais system as well. Any suggestions on caps or the elbows

thanks

hidalgo.ceo
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:39 am

:worthless:
The Flying Anvil XV750SE '82 - Custom rear subframe, Bar end mirrors, New indicators, New tail light, 18" rear wheel conversion, KOSO speedo, lithium battery, custom wiring harness, clipons, modified SR500 rearsets, Lucas replica switchgear, K&N air filter, many parts powdercoated
XV920 '81- Watsonian Monaco sidecar tug project-work in progress - top end rebuild time
TR1.1 '81 Basket case project - Work in progress - Sepp Koch style frame chop plus refinement, XVS1100 jugs piston crankshaft conversion, nanno's 9 plate clutch conversion, BMW r850r rear shock, spoke wheels XS650 front & rear, twin 320mm discs with Yamaha Blue spot calipers, XT500 tank, twin Webber carbs, home built exhaust (hopefully) seat and subframe, footrest hangers...
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE UK Model - The Flying Anvil - awaiting better weather

1981 XV920 - sidecar tug project bike - Watsonian Monaco sidecar to be fitted

1981 TR1 - Basket case project - bought completely dismantled and teaching me mechanics 101

PostAuthor: hidalgo.ceo » Tue May 09, 2017 7:40 pm

I tried to post pics it said the resolution was too high. I don't know how to post them . Looking through post I saw that some one used a cm400 gas tank on the bike looking it looks like it may fit. I believe the member 67camaro is no longer online. does anyone know if this is a direct swap.

He suppiled a photo but did have fab skills and never discussed if it required alteration on his part to mount.

hidalgo.ceo
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: 23swampy » Fri May 12, 2017 5:16 pm

I have a cm400 tank on my bike, it's not a direct fit. You have to weld new mounts for the front, the back essentially just bolts up. I also clearanced the tunnel of my tank with a hammer to get it a little lower on the frame. If you have a welder it's very straight forward. In the second pic you can see the new mounts just forward and up from the originals.

23swampy
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1987 xv700 SOLD
1987 XV1100

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Choppers Customs Café