Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Air Cleaner Stuff

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Air Cleaner Stuff

PostAuthor: JSF » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:20 pm

Being a long time biker (40+years) and the new owner of a previously not too well maintained 2005 XV250, I found myself looking at something that I have not seen except on my lawnmowers...the virago 250 oil-soaked foam air cleaner element. I was not impressed. The element was disintegrating and could not be working very efficiently -- this thing was not going to say on my bike! However, I was somewhat shocked to find no real aftermarket paper filters for the bike....so....looking around this is what I found... a Mr. Gasket 4" (and other similar brands) air cleaner kit (for a car I assume)...

250ac4.jpg

The element is exactly the right size and the top cover fits perfectly....

250ac5.jpg

250ac6.jpg

I wanted something that fit within the original air cleaner housing since I like the stock look.

Bike runs perfectly with this at all speeds and it is a thrifty value at around USD$12. The replacement elements are about USD$6. These kits seem to be available at most auto parts stores and at many places online ...

I apologize if this has been posted before...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JSF
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 2005 XV250 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Air Cleaner Stuff

PostAuthor: Tom Boyte » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:53 pm

JSF,
Firstly, Welcome Aboard The Virago site!! Glad to have you.
That air filter is pretty neat. Some of us who have gone the "bobber route" have removed the stock air filter/crankcase breather system (and smog system)and have gone to K&N cone filters which work very well. I didn't have to make any carb adjustments with the new filters even after altering the exhaust system as well. Hope to see you posting regularly.
Tom
Last edited by Tom Boyte on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Boyte
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: A 2014 harley Davidson Sportster "48"
1989 Yamaha Route "66"
1957 Cushman Eagle (restored) Motor Scooter

PostAuthor: grazingazer » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:17 pm

welcome to the vtf...good info...stick around we can use your help
if you're asking for help please include the year and model of the bike in your signature
then turn your signature on

my bike is a modified 1981 virago xv75012927the rockabilly rat
grazingazer
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: modified 1981 xv750 virago...1975 650 xsb

PostAuthor: jstokes3 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:56 am

That's a very cool find. Thanks for sharing.
2005 Yamaha Virago 250cc
16t-40t JT sprockets, EK X-Ring Chain 520 SRX, MT66 Pirelli 140 Rear Tire, National Cycle Dakota Windshield, K&N 62-1515 Air Filter, Drilled outer baffle
jstokes3
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 2005 XV250

PostAuthor: Wesso » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Welcome to VTF JSF.
Thanks for posting and sharing that info on the air filter. Now I just hope I can find the same one down here in Melbourne AU.
It looks so much nicer and so clean compared to the oil soaked filter.
I wonder why they didn't use a paper filter to begin with?
I like the original look of the XV250 also which means that I won't be removing the chrome plated pods at any time.
Cheers
Wayne

ImageThe preferred method of posting attachments to VTF can be found in the Attachment Pictorial.
To get there, click on the link below. If clicking on it doesn't work , just copy and paste it to your address bar.

http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=29506#p263323
or copy and paste the link into the address bar of your browser and press Enter.

If you're looking for a Service or Owner's Manual, try this link
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545
We might just have what you are looking for.
Wesso
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1997 XV1100S Virago

PostAuthor: jfred » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:12 pm

I saw this while looking for the oil filter size for my '07 XV250, and added it to my list. I was going to O'Reilly's for something for my mower anyway, and decided to get ready for an oil change. The air cleaner was $12.99 plus tax. It is available in Texas at O'Reilly's Auto Parts.
jfred
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2007 XV250W1(C) Virago (sold)
17/43 Sprockets
Enterprise Windshield

PostAuthor: Dadzo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Auto Zone has 'em, too. Just look for the 4" size. :banana:
Dadzo
Probation
Probation

Flag
Bike year & model: .......

PostAuthor: planeman2010 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:34 pm

I installed one today on my '05 XV250, fits great. Thanks for sharing.

These are such great little bikes!

planeman2010
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 2005 xv 250 virago

PostAuthor: Bentspoke99 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:26 pm

JSF, I like that. Welcome to the 250 area of the forum. Would you share the manufacturer and part number for that 4-inch air filter? I'd like to do the same to mine.
Bentspoke99
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2008 Yamaha 1300T
2009 Virago 250

PostAuthor: Dadzo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:58 am

My packaging looked different than his, but the product was the same. They are a generic aftermarket air cleaner used on 2 barrel carbs. Just look for the 4" size.

Most parts store should have them and @ competitive prices.

Dadzo
Probation
Probation

Flag

PostAuthor: TransAm » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:39 am

I used the Mr. Gasket cleaner on mine too. I ordered a K&N to fit it as well. I still have the part number for the filter if anyone is interested in using this cleaner. My only complaint after the first year is that while the chrome is high quality, the stud and wing nut corrode fairly quickly.
2006 Virago XV250V. Got it down to 250lbs. Everything but the kitchen sink... No, wait. Tried that too.

1987 Harley-Davidson 883 Sportster De Luxe

1979 Yamaha XS400 Special II - Now becoming a hardtail frame for the XV250V

1972 Yamaha Enduro 100 2 stroke

1980 Pontiac Trans/Am 455 bored to 468 inches, TH400, and 9inch Ford.
TransAm
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 2006 XV250V 5,000mi

PostAuthor: Dadzo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Only parts I used from the kit are the filter and lid and retained the bikes own wingnut, washer and stud.
Dadzo
Probation
Probation

Flag

PostAuthor: jfred » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am

Dadzo wrote:Only parts I used from the kit are the filter and lid and retained the bikes own wingnut, washer and stud.

Same here. My foam filter was deteriorated, and must have restricted the air flow. With the Mr. Gasket filter installed, the 250 runs much better and it has better acceleration. It also holds cruising speed, whereas before, speed would drop in 5th gear due to wind resistance on my enterprise windshield. :bike:
jfred
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

17/43 Sprockets
Enterprise Windshield

PostAuthor: Tom Boyte » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:36 pm

Good info. all,
Yamaha could do so much more to make these bikes better, starting with the styling and then things like these air filters etc. I have probably taken 50 pounds of "stuff" off the 09 Star my wife owns in my Bobber project and either replaced it with better looking stuff or better quality stuff or...stuff it didn't need anyway!! Have saw...will travel, this Star is gonna get lighter! :lol:
Tom

Tom Boyte
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1989 Yamaha Route "66"

PostAuthor: Riverside » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:14 pm

Got one from autozone per Dadzo's post. It's a Spectre pn4790 for $12.99. I thought that I had a bit more performance afterward and a slightly different exhaust note. The foam filter was six years old and dry as a bone. I might be breathing better. It's not a big difference and ~could~ be all in my mind.

Used an Allen wrench number 5 to remove the two bolts. There was a lot of stiction, enough to think that something plastic was going to break. The clamp screw was put on before the tank and pointed up and back making it impossible to put a screwdriver on it. Channel locks gripping the top and bottom of the screw allowed me to rotate it. The screw head is so tiny that it was hard to keep the screwdriver in and I thought that I was destroying the screw head. I still couldn't pop the rubber off so I just pulled a bit and the other end popped out and it was free. Hoses popped off easy. Two screws to separate and there was the foam air cleaner. Wiped everything clean, centered the paper air filter and put the cover on. There's a gap but the original washer will cover it and the wing nut holds everything together. I tried just popping the unit back on but it wouldn't fully seat. The rubber finally came off so it could be shoved into the air cleaner and I rotated the clamp so the screw head faced forward and underneath making it easy to tighten. This seemed harder than it should have been for a routine maintenance item but it's all good now.
RK Racing 520 M Standard Chain*Sunstar Steel Rear Sprocket - 40T*Sunstar Front Sprocket - 17T*BikeMaster Oil Filter JO-Y103*Valvoline 20W50 Motorcycle Oil*100MPG
Riverside
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2006 Virago XV250

PostAuthor: nmw24 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Having read this post about changing the air filter i decided to see if i could find one when i went to auto zone for some oil. Sure enough i found one and said hell ill give it a try, b/c when i first seen what kind of air filter they had on these viragos i was kinda dumbfounded myself. Only seen these oil soaked filters on mowers before and mine was dry as a bone. So i installed it and went on a couple rides over the week and i have experienced a little more power and a little different exhaust sound. also holds higher speeds better. But wonder if its having any adverse affects on my bike b/c when i started my bike after installing the new air filter i needed to choke it and never had to before which basically what happened is i leaned my bike out and i think its enjoying the extra air its getting. But can running lean have bad long term consequences or is it better to run lean than rich?

nmw24
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 2006 Virago XV250

PostAuthor: jfred » Sat May 05, 2012 8:24 am

nmw24 wrote:Having read this post about changing the air filter i decided to see if i could find one when i went to auto zone for some oil. Sure enough i found one and said hell ill give it a try, b/c when i first seen what kind of air filter they had on these viragos i was kinda dumbfounded myself. Only seen these oil soaked filters on mowers before and mine was dry as a bone. So i installed it and went on a couple rides over the week and i have experienced a little more power and a little different exhaust sound. also holds higher speeds better. But wonder if its having any adverse affects on my bike b/c when i started my bike after installing the new air filter i needed to choke it and never had to before which basically what happened is i leaned my bike out and i think its enjoying the extra air its getting. But can running lean have bad long term consequences or is it better to run lean than rich?

Perhaps the old filter was acting as a partial choke, if it was rotten like mine and causing an airflow restriction. If performance is better, I don't know how it could harm the engine. It seems to me that the paper filter protects the engine better than the foam one to keep airborne crud out of the carb and off the cylinder walls. This is only my opinion, and I'm not a mechanic, so i haven't really answered your question with any experienced technical knowledge. $0.02
jfred
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

17/43 Sprockets
Enterprise Windshield

PostAuthor: chev28 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:01 pm

I found one of these Mr Gasket air filters recently and put it on the bike. I think it might be the last one in Australia!

The bike defniitely feels better at high speed and seems to hold a high speed climb better. I have only been running it for a couple of hundred k's but so far so good. I will pull the plugs soon to see if it is too lean.

The only trouble now is finding replacement 4" elements but I guess I have time to keep looking. I think Rocket Industries can get them in for a price.
1992 XV1100
chev28
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1992 XV1100

PostAuthor: TimXCampbell » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:51 am

I ordered an air filter from Summit Racing and (apart from one question — see below) it seems to have installed just fine. Here are some photos...

Now for my question. A neighbor gave me a spray bottle of something called “Air Filter Cleaner” which he had no use for. It says that after cleaning the air filter one should oil it. Does this kind of air filter (i.e. the one I'm using in the photos) require oiling? If so, it'd be a good thing for me to do that before I ride. If not, it'd be very bad for me to do so. Can anybody enlighten me on this matter?
TimXCampbell
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2003 XV250 Virago

PostAuthor: Tom Boyte » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:50 am

Tim,
It looks like a paper element and they usually don't require anything other than installation, none I have ever seen anyway.
Tom

Tom Boyte
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1989 Yamaha Route "66"

Next

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV250