Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

xv250 does not maintain the revs

• Advertisement

Post a reply

xv250 does not maintain the revs

PostAuthor: Leonardo_R » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:42 am

Hello a few months ago I stopped using the bike for about 5 days and when I turned it back on and rode it I noticed a loss of power that was enlarged over the days to the point of turning the bike on and having to be accelerating to keep it on. I left it stopped for a few months and bought the spare parts. I just changed the clutch discs, oil pump gears, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, new carburetor, carburetor intake, rubber air filter, new spark plugs. The only thing I can think of is to calibrate the valves, but I really don't know if that has anything to do with the bike not maintain revs. The idle speed of the new carburetor I haven't touched it and I don't plan to touch it, it's new and it's already adjusted. I hope you can help me is the first time I do this and with the cyclepedia manual in hand I do what I can. I wrote this with a translator Thank you :thanks: .

Leonardo_R
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: Yamaha Virago XV 250 1995
Sex: Male

Re: xv250 does not maintain the revs

PostAuthor: AlanSmith7 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:47 pm

If your engine started just fine and idled OK on the choke, but quit when you stopped using the choke, I would say that the idle jets and ports and passages were all plugged up.

You should wastes gas though and the idle RPM will tend to hang up when the engine is hot.

Check and make sure your spark plug is in working condition and is clean.
How old the gas is in your tank? I am not a carburetor expert so I can't say anything about its adjustment.
AlanSmith7
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 2016 Yamaha V Star 250

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:03 pm

:VTF:

Not sure bout anyone else, but does that translator thing have to put out "Bold Print". PITA to read. :bg:

Leonardo_R wrote: I stopped using the bike for about 5 days and when I turned it back on and rode it I noticed a loss of power that was enlarged over the days to the point of turning the bike on and having to be accelerating to keep it on.

Was this thing in storage before you took it out for a ride? New carburator without adjusting it? I highly doubt that one as in most carbs, specially just outta the box need some minor adjusting. I bet the biggest part of your problem is the carburetor. And "new" carb usually needs adjusting to "YOUR" conditions where you're at. And, no...valves wouldn't cause this problem unless, for some reason, they tightened up on ya and you loss all valve lash. Then, the bike wouldn't start. Check them, is all I can say.

Leonardo_R wrote: The idle speed of the new carburetor I haven't touched it and I don't plan to touch it, it's new and it's already adjusted.

Why won't you adjust the idle? Very possible this is the only reason it won't stay running. As in: Idle too low. Be curious to know who says this new carb is already adjusted? Where you bought it from? The instructions? I could be wrong, but that just doesn't sound right. Unless someone did this carb "just for you". While you at it, probly wouldn't hurt to check for any vacuum leaks, since you "have tinkered" with the intake stuff.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:15 pm

Howdy Leonardo.

Welcome to VTF.

because of certain OEM marketing factors, it can make a difference where you're located. please, add your global location to your avatar. [doesn't need to be very specific]
there are minor variations [market-vs-market] and helps toward better answering.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not --- :fan:

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely ---> Semper Vigilans --- always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

Thomas Paine --- 1776 December 23

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV250