VTF Google Search
 Click Here

(Build) 1989 Yamaha Virago XV250 Route 66

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: (Build) 1989 Yamaha Virago XV250 Route 66

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:51 pm

Jake wrote:You may be interested in these pipes viewtopic.php?f=208&t=52367

Yes I talked with Mr Tim on Sunday. I will see about getting those pipes soon. I found out today that my speedo is only off the normal. My GPS was set to KNOTS and not MPH (Duh on my part). A fellow brother from the American Legion (H-D rider) said now we can hooligan again after our monthly meeting tonight lol. We left and rode around the long way back home just for snizzles and giggles lol. Most hear it and ask if it is a H-D or a 600-700cc bike. Everyone likes the red look but I have tole them I will be going with the black and white concept for the tribute build. It just feels good to get out and ride and clear the mind at times. I am looking towards the fall/winter time to do the custom paint work. I just hope I can do it justice. I removed the front fender looks even better that way. Yes I will paint it but not put it back on ... yet. I do think I am going to have to replace the shifter as there is to much play (side to side) and I think that may be my issue with it. So far so good and a lot to come with this build. I do want to get a matching tachometer and GPS speedo combo. Ohhh the thoughts and fun has yet the really begin....

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Two wheels down head on a swivel
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1989 Yamaha Virago XV250 Route 66
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:12 pm

Well the sprockets and chain are done. The bike feels almost perfect. I went from factory 16/45t up to 17/38t and now I can tell what gear I am in. I hit 75mph speedo in 4th gear then shifted to 5th so she is real highway ready. Better on gas millage also.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:44 am

Images of the test paint job. The color is Dodge Intense Blue Pearl covered with a good coat of 2K clear. Not to bad for rattle can and test painting. Working around some other things also. Looking at doing a highway bar custom using chrome moly tube either 7/8th" to 1 1/4" diameter. Not a crash bar but just for feet. Also looking into hard case panniers/ saddle bags. Viking Bags have a set I want but $$$ they do cost lol. Work in progress is on going and the ride is fun. Did a service job with oil/ filter/plugs and she runs a little better. A good friend gave me a H-D Fat Bob air cleaner cover and told me to use it. I will try to make a mount and see how it looks. More to come team.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: faffi » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:36 am

Nice colour and paint work :GJ:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:40 am

faffi wrote:Nice colour and paint work :GJ:

Thanks. Took those mirrors off and put on the bar end mirrors. Made it look better also. A veteran buddy of mine is going to help me with a bobber style seat. Next will be the shock (Honda Rebel) to lower the rear stance.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:42 am

Forgot to mention that I will give the paint a month to cure good then wet sand with 3k grit pad then buff with compound to a smooth finish. The is very little orange peel in the clear but it is there.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:32 pm

:GJ:

ditto the blue, too.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not --- :fan:

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely ---> Semper Vigilans --- always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

Thomas Paine --- 1776 December 23

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:21 pm

mark75 wrote::GJ:

ditto the blue, too.

Thanks. I wanted the Cobalt blue but had this blue for an older project (custom computer).

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:05 pm

Been busy with the grand baby and riding. Updates are stainless allen screws for the covers (not yet installed) and hard case leather saddle bags from Viking with shock cut outs (solid mounted). The plans are to paint the covers all gloss black and the new screws will give it a button look. LED lighting will be ordered soon (Front and rear turn signals with full headlight replacement). I may do a custom forward foot rest out of a handle bar but not sure yet. I want to try my hand at powder coating but the funding is not there yet. All is good and the breeze in the knees is what I enjoy for now. Just got voted into 1st Vice Commander at my American Legion Post so I will be triple busy for sometime. First fuel check with the sprocket change netted me 87mpg while I am still hand fisted WOT most of the time lol

Have fun and enjoy the rides,
Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:01 pm

Heedehcheenuh wrote:LED lighting will be ordered soon (Front and rear turn signals with full headlight replacement).

If you are going with LEDs, upgrade the R/R to a mosfet, otherwise the stock R/R will leave you stranded, and possible fire.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:25 pm

Jake wrote:
Heedehcheenuh wrote:LED lighting will be ordered soon (Front and rear turn signals with full headlight replacement).

If you are going with LEDs, upgrade the R/R to a mosfet, otherwise the stock R/R will leave you stranded, and possible fire.

With a stereo and amp installation It will use up the extra voltage to prevent the burn out. Also will install the digital GPS speedo that will use some of the extra voltage.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:15 pm

Well Saturday was a blast. Had a support ride between two counties and man we had a blast. The bike ran fine and run mid-pack of over 200 riders. Most kept asking if it was a 883 bobber and we all got a chuckle out of it. Ran up I-74 and as fast as 80mph speedo at one point. Wish my funding was right to get most of the work finished but the bike is ready to roll at anytime. Have fun and roll on.....

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: faffi » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:46 pm

:GJ:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:45 pm

New post of things done and to come. Added the VW Beetle Air Cleaner and I have the 7" LED headlight (not installed yet). Viking Saddle Bags ( https://www.vikingbags.com/Charger-Side ... Cutout.htm ) installed and holding firm. Looking for the $$$ to order the larish41 2.0 exhaust. Looking into doing 200mm shock conversion. Still have to do the rear turn signal relocation. Wife ordered the China crash bars and they got lost in shipping. Been around the block a couple times with this cold wet weather here in South Carolina USA. This bike has so much to give with a little $$$ to do so. Is it enough? I say yes it can be enough it just depends on your view and your aim in the right direction. I am looking at getting another bike/scooter in a 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 as back up. But just waiting to see how things roll out. With my disability getting worst I may end up going with a Can Am Ryker 600 (to start with). Three wheels will help me but being twist and turn with no clutch to worry with is another added bonus. I will do some videos and pictures soon. This weather has me down ( physically) and the cold does not help.

Chime in and have some fun team....

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on .....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:06 pm

Just a few shots of the bags. Setting in front of the American Legion Post 60 building we are renovating and upgrading for the 100th Anniversary (Dec 2020). Yes I am a busy old phart lol. 1st Vice Commander of the Post 60 with two locations to cover at time. https://americanlegionpost60redbluff.com/ . Between the grands, disability and life I do what I can when I can. Salute 07 from this old veteran. Have a blessed day.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on .....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:16 pm

Ohhh not to be forgotten in the hustle and flow. I did order the stainless steel hex head screw set for the covers. I will paint the case gloss black then install these. The jugs/ cylinders will be painted flat / matte black and the head covers gloss black. I will order special decals and badges for my personal military honor. I have now decided to call the bike the "Wart Hawg" ( Wart Hawg is a spin off off the Hog H-D) as a tribute to my USAF and A-10 connection. I got two A-10 Rounds made into flask and may order a few to detail the bike out in 30mm rounds lol.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on .....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Previous

Post a reply

• Advertisement