Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

(Build) 1989 Yamaha Virago XV250 Route 66

• Advertisement

Post a reply

(Build) 1989 Yamaha Virago XV250 Route 66

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Tue May 12, 2020 2:02 pm

Getting ready to build a 1989 Yamaha Virago XV250 Route 66 model. Not sure yet at what direction I will go [ Bobber/Custom/Stock] Looking for sure at doing the gear change and LED lights (headlight/brake light/turn signals). I have been looking into the CDI/TCI as the V Star uses the TCI and the Virago uses the CDI. Which one would benefit better. Coils and performance wires. Plug types as in standard to platinum to iridium. I will be running Prem fuel (mostly for the cleaning agents over regular) and I do have Boostane for adding octane boosting when testing. Skinny tires over bigger/taller rear tires. Larger capacity fuel tank. Maybe a bigger rear fender (for looks) and Honda Rebel rear shocks to lower the stance. I may even get a company I know to help with F.I. conversion. I will see about a full exhaust for sure (need to hear the thunder). This will be a rider project have fun bike for me. I am an old hot rod builder getting into the two wheel scene. Chime in and have fun team. I missed out on getting a XV535 but not this XV250. This build/ bike will be a long term daily driver also.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

P.S. Deposit made and will pick up soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Two wheels down head on a swivel
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1989 Yamaha Virago XV250 Route 66
Sex: Male

Re: (Build) 1989 Yamaha Virago XV250 Route 66

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue May 12, 2020 2:31 pm

The XV250 uses a TCI. Transistorized Controlled Ignition

A CDI, Capacitive Discharge Ignition is used with breaker points of which the Virago doesn’t have.

LED lights and signals will place a strain on your R/R, unless you upgrade to a mosfet R/R.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue May 12, 2020 2:39 pm

Speaking from experience, you are doing yourself a disfavor by using premium, and by adding octane booster is a really bad idea, I’ve done it . Fouled plugs over and over.

Larger fuel tank ? Never saw it done on a 250, the problem is the tunnel width you need. The frame is very wide and your best option is probably harley split tanks.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Tue May 12, 2020 5:00 pm

Jake wrote:The XV250 uses a TCI. Transistorized Controlled Ignition

A CDI, Capacitive Discharge Ignition is used with breaker points of which the Virago doesn’t have.

LED lights and signals will place a strain on your R/R, unless you upgrade to a mosfet R/R.

Everything listing is saying CDI Igniter so I say CDI but figured there was a switch up to TCI but not sure. Even scooters list them as CDI up to the new FI models. LED headlight and bulbs will be the same voltage if not less but brighter white than the yellow glow bulbs. Most will be insert replacement bulbs. If I research right and find the right lumens with less voltage that will save on the out put from the stator. If the newer V Star has a higher output stator then I can replace the older with the new and gain voltage that was also. Relays and flasher do the same. Yeah I know the old phrase of the fuel and octane. I have been working on old school rods that ran points and switched to MSD and adjusting old carbs to get the settings just right. 283 small block Chevrolet from an old 1967 built with updated electronics and fuel systems. She was a screamer. Tuning exhaust with equal lengths to get the sound right etc.ect. Like I stated I am going to tinker with some updated systems to make an old bike run like a new one. Funkin Fast Fuels System can get me lined up with a FI kit and work around plug and play set up. This old veteran just tinkers with things to fight PTSD and feed information at what works or does not. I read all the post others have and take bits and pieces to put the puzzle together for all to enjoy.

Thanks again.
Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue May 12, 2020 5:44 pm

Heedehcheenuh wrote:If I research right and find the right lumens with less voltage that will save on the out put from the stator. .

That’s where you are mistaken. The stator output never changes, no matter what. It’s the R/R that does all of the work.

Once the battery is charged, the R/R dumps the excess voltage. Excess voltage is converted to heat, the R/Rs worst enemy.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue May 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Heedehcheenuh wrote:Everything listing is saying CDI Igniter so I say CDI but figured there was a switch up to TCI but not sure.

Online listings use TCI and CDI as if they are the same thing.

This screenshot was taken from the manual for the Route 66, I gave you the link to earlier.

E9EE4677-1C4F-4F22-9C59-5348D4107E7A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Tue May 12, 2020 6:34 pm

Jake wrote:
Heedehcheenuh wrote:If I research right and find the right lumens with less voltage that will save on the out put from the stator. .

That’s where you are mistaken. The stator output never changes, no matter what. It’s the R/R that does all of the work.

Once the battery is charged, the R/R dumps the excess voltage. Excess voltage is converted to heat, the R/Rs worst enemy.

So a good R/R will do the job to run all the LED and GPS speedo. Does MSD make any performance coils (higher voltage output)? I can step up with 10mm wires from 8mm (as heat draws away voltage). It is all good and new for me but the same concept in the end being combustion engines. I see every one say the Virago runs low compression and I scratch my head as I remember the 70's engines with little to no compression at all lol. We made them hook up and run. 7-9 to 1 compression was weak back then. We called them boat anchors lol. Do they make after market cams for the 250? even 1mm-2mm more lift (and duration) will draw in more fuel/air mixture to gain a little to produce more power. Yamaha like Honda are conservative with the engines they build as they want to protect the reliability image from the factory.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue May 12, 2020 8:02 pm

If you are going to run LEDs, a mosfet R/R is the one you want. Many people here thought the same as you, on reducing load on the charging system. End result was burnt out R/Rs, and an occasional fire.

Read viewtopic.php?f=75&t=59784

As far as the other stuff goes, not too many have hopped up the 250, dig through the 250 section and you’ll find a few.

Here is one thread, he has put the most into the XV250 viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25599

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Wed May 13, 2020 9:42 am

It's a clean looking bike, but why a 250? Granted you're still determining the direction you want to go, but a 250 will never be a screamer or high performing bike, it is a starter/learner bike.

The OEM ignition is very good and changing out coils, wires, and plug will not change the performance of the bike. Now if you have cams and pistons custom made a new ignition may help.

Honestly, the bike looks clean, ride and enjoy it.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Wed May 13, 2020 11:02 am

Hellgate wrote:It's a clean looking bike, but why a 250? Granted you're still determining the direction you want to go, but a 250 will never be a screamer or high performing bike, it is a starter/learner bike.

The OEM ignition is very good and changing out coils, wires, and plug will not change the performance of the bike. Now if you have cams and pistons custom made a new ignition may help.

Honestly, the bike looks clean, ride and enjoy it.

I will run it as is for a while. Not to many bikes and price selections near me. It will become a project for me when I get bored with it. The fuel injection set up will be no issue as it will be plug and play. The company will need the engine size and type of bike then put a kit together to do the FI. Like most people when you purchase a car/truck/bike they begin to modify it to fit their style. Most of my mods will be for my disability mostly as in small floor boards and heel toe shifter. There is a very few selection of light weight bikes I can ride and this was one of them. I have R.A. stage 3-4 with disfigured hands and feet. I am limited with holding up to much weight (knees are messed up).
Besides if you stop and think about the 2015 Honda PCX150 (153cc) I had would run 70mph (GPS) all day long then the 250cc should be able to hold the same if not better (80-85mph) all day long. I even rode with my brothers (military) on charity rides with the PCX and held my own. One old brother (veteran) asked what size motor I had ("What size is that a 300cc?") and we laughed and enjoyed the ride. It will be a fun project for me and a pass along project for my son and grandson. I am not really into the fast speed but want to be able to hang with my H-D riding brothers and sisters while enjoying the ride. If I can get the bike to run 80-90mph(GPS) that would be way more than enough for me. Lugging around doing 60-65mph all day (low rpm) will do fine. The extra would be for passing and getting out of trouble.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck d
Ride on.....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Thu May 14, 2020 3:49 pm

https://virago250street.com/ Lots of great information. Worth reading and looking into.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Tue May 19, 2020 6:33 pm

Picking the bike up tomorrow weather permitting. Hope to test it out when we get it home. We are going to trailer it home and do the run through checks and then give it a short ride. So ready to work off this PTSD.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue May 19, 2020 9:17 pm

I’ll bet that short ride will shortly lead to a longer ride.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Tue May 19, 2020 11:02 pm

Jake wrote:I’ll bet that short ride will shortly lead to a longer ride.

You know it. I feel that it may become a full tank run just because the fuel was there lol. I just need to get rid of the PTSD right now. The cabin fever is bad enough.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Sun May 24, 2020 11:04 am

She is here and a blast to ride so far. I removed the rear seat and set out a few short runs checking everything over real good. Me and my son will chop the exhaust this week end or Monday 25th. I will order the 17/38 gears and a new O/X Ring chain. She runs good and smooth. I see what every one was talking about with the factory gears lol. Mine are so low I can duck walk the bike in first gear at idle lol. I will want to make the short floor boards and the heel/toe shifter. For my veteran theme I am thinking of doing "Artic White" on tank and covers with black shadow badges. I will do the mini bagger hard cases look also. The rear fender will the for POW?MIS and fallen brother image. Chime in and give me some tips and enjoy.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:57 pm

you might peruse this thread for some juicy 125/250 tidbits >>> viewtopic.php?f=88&t=21116

it's from the crypt so it may make you 'have-to-log-in' again :con:

the OP has visited in ~5 years.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Heedehcheenuh » Tue May 26, 2020 11:54 am

mark75 wrote:you might peruse this thread for some juicy 125/250 tidbits >>> viewtopic.php?f=88&t=21116

it's from the crypt so it may make you 'have-to-log-in' again :con:

the OP has visited in ~5 years.

Thanks. Great info for the upgrades listed. Being a 1989 model and 1st Gen I will research if any of this has been applied. I did like the cam shaft information. I may order the cam shafts for the new models to get the extra torque as it seems to add a few 2-5ftlbs over the originals. Every little bit helps.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Heedehcheenuh
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV250