Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Rear Cylinder Miss Fire! (SOLVED)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Rear Cylinder Miss Fire! (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: Quarterbiker » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:25 am

After much trouble shooting and following symptoms from normal procedures of diagnosis i finally found the problem. A small leak in the fuel pump was allowing fuel to pool in the vacuum line that runs to the intake manifold this was causing a rich condition and miss fire at idle and low RPM. higher engine speeds the bike ran fine. This was a slow developing problem, i first noticed the bike was getting slower to start and the mileage was dropping then the last couple of days it became hard to start and noticeable the rear cylinder was not running so it was time to find the problem

I call this engine a Happy Motor because it normally jumps right to life!

These symptoms could also be a week coil, fouled or worn out plug, carb problem, ECU problem. tight or sticking valve, low compression, cracked manifold and a few other things. I checked all of those before finding the problem. This vacuum controlled fuel pump is a first for me and others that i asked, it never crossed my mind this could cause Only the rear cylinder to miss fire! It has 1 carb and a shared manifold! Anyway for those that experience this problem and cant find the answer it might very well be the fuel pump.

I purchased a 22 dollar one from Amazon.

During this head scratching experience i discovered my valves were a bit tight, so check them every 5k miles or so. Hope this helps!

Quarterbiker
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 95 250
Sex: Male

Re: Rear Cylinder Miss Fire!

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:00 pm

Glad you found the issue. Thanks for sharing.

I am going to mark as "SOLVED" to help others searching.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
Sex: Male

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV250