VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Carb Covered with aluminum flakes

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Carb Covered with aluminum flakes

PostAuthor: Jessesavoey » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:18 pm

Hi Guys,

This is my first bike! I bought it rode it home, and it died on me while on the freeway. The guy I bought it from gladly took it back, cleaned the carbs out and it ran perfectly fine! A week later while I was riding home from work it died and lurched to a stop while on the freeway again. I tow it home and decided to just take it apart and do it myself or just see what I could maybe do myself really. I took off the carb and it looked like it was covered in like little aluminum flakes 100% clogging it up. So I took off the spark plugs to have a look and it looked like one exploded. The only way I could describe it. So how should I clean this all up? Should I just have the guy do it again or is this easy enough to do myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jessesavoey
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 2007 xv250 virago
Sex: Male

Re: Carb Covered with aluminum flakes

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:44 am

First: :VTF:

Jessesavoey wrote: The guy I bought it from gladly took it back, cleaned the carbs out

Unforturnately, this happens all to often to the unknowing. Carb cleaning.

Jessesavoey wrote: So I took off the spark plugs to have a look and it looked like one exploded.

The two most offenders here would be: Wrong Plugs (NGK C6HSA/#3228)..piston and/or valves made contact..... or something caused your bike to go "Super" lean..and it ran like that for awhile. A plug not properly torqued or crossthreaded can back out and cause this to go lean. But enough to explode a plug? Possible, just never came across it, first hand. And..the plug still looks dark, pointing to possible mechanical damage..so, at this point..would take some investigating. Fouling enough to cause the electron to melt/explode? Usually, it just won't fire, but anything is possible. Is this condition on both side of the throttle valve and throughout the carb?. What's it look like on the air filter side of things?

Jessesavoey wrote: So how should I clean this all up? Should I just have the guy do it again or is this easy enough to do myself.

Well, that totally depends on how comfortable you are in your abilities. But..either/or: ABSOLUTELY..clean the carbs.."spotlessly!!" Something caused this and it's a must to find out why. Depending how seriously you wanna get..I would suggest getting some kind of endoscope, but not knowing where you're located, but in the states you can find them at Harbor Freight, Home Depot and the like. But either/or you should check out "inside" that cylinder/piston/valves. Something like those flakes (most likely metal).... can fuse themselves to the walls of the cylinder or mess with the valves seating. If something in this area got snafu'd, it's going to take a hel-a-va lot more than just a carb cleaning to make it right. Sorry for the bad news, but facts are facts.
You may wanna really get with the seller for a solution. If he's that great of a guy. Maybe there was a reason why he "gladly" took it back the first. Going to be a tough call, as this seller "already" took it back, once. :;:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:00 am

:yup:

I'm afraid you have some major damage, a carb cleaning and new spark plugs will not fix that. Besides, all of the flakes are external to the carb.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:35 am

Have you checked your air cleaner? Personally, I would take the bike back to the seller and tell him to fix it or give back my purchase price.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:01 am

Yeah I have to agree. I mean metal in the carbs is one thing, but that looks like a major issue with metal pieces in the crankcase.

Check your oil screen with the magnet and see what is in the bottom of the engine. I would definitely see if the PO would take it back, but it being well over a week, that is doubtful.
My Ride is a 1983 XV 500 :usa:
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 Yamaha Virago XV500

PostAuthor: Jessesavoey » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:47 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. I talked to the seller he’s willing to take it back. Definitely looks like something I couldn’t handle on my own :thanks: to

Jessesavoey
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 2007 xv250 virago

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:26 pm

Jessesavoey wrote:Thanks for all the input guys. I talked to the seller he’s willing to take it back. Definitely looks like something I couldn’t handle on my own :thanks: to

THATS AWESOME NEWS!!
My Ride is a 1983 XV 500 :usa:
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 Yamaha Virago XV500

PostAuthor: gleam » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:43 pm

Please update us with what comes of this, and what was found to be the issue. This makes absolutely no sense to me, which tells me this is an opportunity to learn something. Very few people who read forums actually post anything, so if I'm curious there's gotta be at least 10 other guys that are interested in learning something here.
1992 XV750
gleam
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1992 XV750 (wrecked)

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:05 pm

:yup:

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Arjay » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:07 pm

My guess the cylinder ran way to lean, the excess heat caused spark plug core broke off into the cylinder, tore up cylinder, head, valves piston, engine backfired ( explains chunks in carb ), finally seized up.

I doubt any damage to the bottom end. I assume this bike has AIS so no pcv. So no parts travelled from bottom end to carb by airway.

It is still possible that no significant damage happened. The broken off plug section may have jammed at tdc. The rpm may have been reduced prior to jam.

Or not.

Arjay
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 Virago 1100

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV250