Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

A few (probably) simple questions (SOLVED)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: A few (probably) simple questions

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:06 pm

just out of curiosity I have used a L-T to check head / cylinder temps on Yamaha, harley, Honda (VFR) and all seem to operate around 180-200F.

if you are worried about summer temps over heating - not a big concern because they are designed to be air-cooled. [w/ reasonable air-flow, of course]
don't sit idling/not moving for long time[20-30 min?] periods. take note of 'spark knock' --- those things could cause trouble :skull:
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:59 pm

Flyingdog wrote:
GlassTiger wrote: If it really get too hot, I really think something will let loose, looong before a cylinder meltdown.

I’ve experienced over heating, at idle in traffic. What will happen is you will notice the idle slowing down, gradually getting slower and slower.

You can park your bike at that point and let it cool or as I did get out of traffic fast.

It happened in Gettysburg, instead of continuing on through town on the high traffic streets, I made a few detours and got out of town.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Arjay » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:28 pm

for me I really like the idea of anything that extends engine longevity. There is a sense of satisfaction keeping an old every day engine running in top shape. Im surprised no comments on the colortune plugs. I just recently discovered them and plan to buy one.

I guess they are old news to some of you but seem like a really fantastic must have tool especially for us older bike riders.

Heres video of tool.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9mKQvWM0nMg&t=11s

Arjay
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 Virago 1100

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:07 am

Arjay wrote:I guess they are old news

Oh buddy..are they...bout 60yrs old news. Came into use around when Beemers, Triumphs were hot ticket. (cars not bikes) Big diff between revving to 4k sitting still in neutral vs riding to 4k, putting all the different loads the bike will go thru, which you really can't do unless ya ride in the dark. Glass will probly melt, anyway, under load. :bg: Nothing, outside of maybe a full blown exhaust analyzer and a Dyno will take the place of pull'n the plug and reading it. NASCAR/Indy to NHRA...the plug is "always" looked at.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Re: A few (probably) simple questions (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: Arjay » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:58 pm

this thread says solved, but where does it say how solved?

Arjay
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:15 am

The way I understood it, GlassTiger decided heat wasn't going to be a factor.
GlassTiger wrote:Wow, thanks FlyingDog! I was just writing up my reply about probably overreacting about the heat and you said that - very reassuring! My tuning is "okay," no running lights on the rear and I shouldn't be worrying as much about the heat as long as it is within reason. I think we can stick a fork in this one. Pack it up boys!

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Was most likely "my" fault for responding "your" post in "GlassTigers" thread, that kept this alive. Kinda like "now". (I just wacked my nose with rolled-up paper) "Bad Dog"!!
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Re: A few (probably) simple questions (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: Arjay » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:05 pm

no, Im just new to this site and usually the SOLVED text is a link that takes one to the correct answer part of the thread, no problem. Is what it is.

Arjay
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Previous

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV250