Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

a bobber inspired build on a smaller budget.

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: a bobber inspired build on a smaller budget.

PostAuthor: Tom Boyte » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Rudge75,
Just give CXN time and a piece of wood...he will come up with something. Yes, I'm going with staggered short shots too but with baffles of a sort.
Tom

Tom Boyte
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: A 2014 harley Davidson Sportster "48"
1989 Yamaha Route "66"
1957 Cushman Eagle (restored) Motor Scooter
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: scrambles » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:30 pm

just got an 09 and i am doing very similar things oddly enough. and that was just as of a week ago and i had never seen ur pics lol. anyways thought yall might know of a smaller budget option for the stock hand controls( i hate their look and feel). Been racking my mind trying to decide whether to replace or reshape them. slick lookin ride btw.
09 XV250
work in progress
scrambles
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 2009 VX250 customizations in progress

PostAuthor: cxn » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:19 am

@Tom hahaha!

i just reworked the seat with a no smoking sign i found behind the dumpster at work :bg: i updated the thread on the DIY solo seat, but i FINALLY got a new phone so i have a working camera again and wanted to do an updated build video. once i have the weather to do anything but get to and from work i'll post a link here.

@ scrambles thanks! you should bust out a grinder and have at it :r: i have been toying with the thought of running internal wiring, or a whiskey throttle type set up from lowbrow with inverted controls and ditching all that plastic stuff.
debadged tank / matte painted tins, engine, exhaust, and head covers / keystone bars installed / signals, and tail light switched out / 100% hand made solo seat / 10"struts installed / baffle cut out / flipped risers / swapped front pegs with rear pegs / rear fender made from support liner of stock fender / all DIY, all cheap. check out the "bobber inspired build on a smaller budget" for pics and walk through!
cxn
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 2009 Yamaha V Star 250

PostAuthor: nina.reigns » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:14 pm

:fonzy: much respect cxn. your bike is sick!!! so inspiring! I have so much schoolwork to do tonight, but I can't peal my eyes away from your thread, and YouTube videos. lol. I'm picking up my xv250 tomorrow, so I'm pumped with all the "small budget" possibilities.

your solo seat is gorgeous. rugged and yet elegant. but... CNX, WHERE IS YOUR ORIGINAL HOMEMADE SEAT!??! :look:
Could I purchase it from you??? I don't feel confident that I can sculpt my seat into that utterly perfect silhouette even with your detailed instructions... (i'm new to this forum and riding world, so I apologize if my request is bogus and distasteful, if it's not, PLEASE consider it).

p.s. you killed this project! cheers to that! :beer:

nina.reigns
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 xv250 virago
Sex: Female

PostAuthor: daddydutch » Sun May 25, 2014 7:19 am

Mate,
A few nice updates have been made since I last read this. I loved the youtube vids..
I was actually thinking yesterday of using the rear fender support as a rear fender, I'll try out my chopped spare first though before deciding.
I sparayed my plastics & tins the other day. Just need to upload some new pics to my thread. Keep up the inspiring work mate.

Al.
:bg:
1985 xv750, which I have started bobbing & servicing.
Parts already bought are,
Front brake pads x2, SS clear cover brake lines, Fork seals, Dust seals, Oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, rear brake shoes, TC Bros 7/8" Lane Splitter handlebars, Biltwell Old School white grips.
Still to come,
Full Gasket set, Engine Oil, Fork Oil, Final Gear oil, Black Exhaust wrap, Maxxis Whitewall Tyres, & Bobber seat.

Planning on Matt Black or Matt Brown Paint. Removed front fender, painted triple trees Gloss Black, Hardtail struts.
daddydutch
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1994 xv250 Virago now my wifes ride. (Work in Progress)
1985 xv750, In the process of bobbing.

PostAuthor: alex rocksalez » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 pm

Dude you just did a nice job to your motorcycle!! Congrats!! And also i have a question for you. Did you praime your bike first or you went to the paint dirrectly After sanding??
Have a good one bro!

alex rocksalez
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: Yamaha 2009 v star

PostAuthor: red_smeg » Sun May 17, 2015 12:27 pm

Hi,

Do you have links for the purchase of the parts. for example what brand and model are the bar end mirrors.

red_smeg
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 2015 - XV250 V star 250

PostAuthor: RustedFixie » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:47 pm

I know this may have been a post/topic a couple of years ago, but i just wanna say that this had inspired me to build a bobber/chopper to a Virago250 (1998). My primary concern was the look on bike. I am 5'10 1/2 and im worried if i might look like an ape on a bicycle. But seeing you on a virago250 considering your height, it fits just right man!

Another concern was, downgrading. I have a yamaha xjr400 customed into a bratbike, and my only complain is its too fast (tempted speeding) and being in Manila with the heavy traffic, its one hell of heat between my legs. The 250 works just right for the city as i use this as my daily commute bike. But i cant use it on our freeways, only allowed is 400cc and up.. Which again, not an everyday thingy for me..

Anyway, nice build and thanks for the inspiration! Ride safe man!
RustedFixie
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1998 Yamaha Vigano 250

PostAuthor: defeldus » Sun May 22, 2016 3:25 pm

rudge75 wrote:I think when CXN starts whittlin' his own carb from a piece of driftwood, I'll have to hang up the tools and call it quits. ;)

Never underestimate the power of a well set up shop. A guy who lives across from me has a 2 car garage I've never seen him park a car in. The lights are on in there at all hours of the night, so I'm excited to see what he pulls out on in the spring. He has a harley of some sort with straight shot pipes that shake the windows when he rounded the bay last year.

Hey man, can I ask where you got that sweet saddlebag in your signature pic, and how you have it mounted?

defeldus
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 2009 V Star 250

PostAuthor: cxn » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:58 pm

I was waxing nostalgic and came looking around to see what the thread on this bike looked like. Iv'e been busy, with life, another motorcycle, and a few camper van builds. I wanna update anyone who is interested on what what is, or how I found parts if they aren't covered in the thread, and post some pics of my harley, I know it's not a virago, but the same principles could be applied, and a lot of how I approached the Virago (which I still have) I used on the XL1200C.... same flat black paint, same super cheap upgrades, same budget build, just on a bigger bike. Cheers!

BUUUUUUUUUMP!
debadged tank / matte painted tins, engine, exhaust, and head covers / keystone bars installed / signals, and tail light switched out / 100% hand made solo seat / 10"struts installed / baffle cut out / flipped risers / swapped front pegs with rear pegs / rear fender made from support liner of stock fender / all DIY, all cheap. check out the "bobber inspired build on a smaller budget" for pics and walk through!
cxn
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: cxn » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:00 pm

defeldus wrote:
rudge75 wrote:I think when CXN starts whittlin' his own carb from a piece of driftwood, I'll have to hang up the tools and call it quits. ;)

Never underestimate the power of a well set up shop. A guy who lives across from me has a 2 car garage I've never seen him park a car in. The lights are on in there at all hours of the night, so I'm excited to see what he pulls out on in the spring. He has a harley of some sort with straight shot pipes that shake the windows when he rounded the bay last year.

Hey man, can I ask where you got that sweet saddlebag in your signature pic, and how you have it mounted?

WAAAAAAY OVERDUE RESPONSE.

it was a cheap "military style" shoulder bag I kinda "borrowed" from my wife....
cxn
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Previous

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV250