Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

New Chain Issues

• Advertisement

Post a reply

New Chain Issues

PostAuthor: msb5390 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:24 am

Yesterday I replaced by stock chain and sprockets on my 2007 Yamaha Virago XV250. I used an o-ring chain this time (don't remember the brand of the new chain, but the stock chain was not an o-ring chain), and the new sprockets are similar in size to the old ones (I don't have that information with me right now, but I think either the new front sprocket might have an extra tooth from the original, or the back sprocket has one less tooth than the original, because the bike seems to be geared a bit higher with the new ones on). Anyway, I'm having an issue with the chain occasionally hitting the inside of the metal plate that the passenger foot peg is attached to. It seems to mainly happen when I'm traveling between 35 and 50 mph, and it's starting to kind of tear at the inside of the cover, so the back edge of the cover has some sharp bits where the chain has nicked at it. As far as I can tell, I have the chain tension adjusted about right (this issue occasionally arose with the stock chain when it became too loose, but that was mainly when I was making left turns starting from rest). The o-ring chain is slightly wider than the original chain, so that's probably part of the problem. Should I not use an o-ring chain on this bike?

Has anyone else ever had this problem? If so, how did you fix it? If not, do you have any ideas on what I should try?
2007 Yamaha Virago xv250

msb5390
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 2007 xv250 virago
Sex: Male

Re: New Chain Issues

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:27 am

msb5390 wrote: how did you fix it?

Grinder?

Seriously, if ya got enough meat in that area to still hold the peg, I'd grind it to make it look purdy and give ya little more clearance. You probly wont' see it anyway. Don't have a 250, but I'd "always" opt for 0-ring chains. More quiet, durable, hold lube better/longer and less stretch. Use to be, you can run an 0-ring chain just atad tighter than regular roller chains. Now depending on your brand (quality) you maybe getting tad more "initial" stretch. Should calm down, soon. And..taller gearing, IMO, is always a plus. I would suspect your counter sprocket is larger. These are road bikes, not hill climbers. That's just my opinion on chains and I'm sure more 250 owners will have alotta views/input for ya.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Howdy.
Welcome to VTF.

it's been a long time since I was on a 250 - & alas, not an XV - so you'll have to wait and get a contemporary adviser for more exact info. but in the mean time browse the forum and there may be a relevant thread already.

new [or little-worn] roller chain usually goes pretty much in a straight line - especially when correctly tensioned; are you sure it is correctly adjusted?

only other thing I can think of is it's the wrong size chain for the sprockets... or damper [#19] is shot ---> https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam ... rear-wheel --- :con:
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: hypophthalmus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:13 pm

I installed an o-ring chain and don't have any problems.

You're sure all the chains and sprockets are 520? You said it's wider, which makes me wonder if you didn't get a 525 or 530 chain by mistake.

hypophthalmus
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2006 XV250

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV250