Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

AIS Removal

• Advertisement

Post a reply

AIS Removal

PostAuthor: gruuvinrob » Tue May 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Getting to the XV250 in a moment, I own a V Star 1100, and have enjoyed a lot of modifications on it over the last 15 years.
When changing pipes and air intake to a much freer flowing system, removing the "AIS" system is very common.
AIS stands for Air Induction System (or Air Injection System). What it does is force fresh air into the exhaust manifold to burn unburnt fuel that might make its way out of the cylinders after ignition. Why? Emission standards. When the bike gets exhaust pipe upgrades, this system often causes deceleration backfiring--a LOT--and I've witnessed this on some XV250s that replaced exhaust.

It's also ugly (my opinion).

The common removal procedure is to close off the tubes that supply the air, and tuck them away, disconnect all the chrome tubing, and pull the elbow tubing out of the heads. Finally, plug the holes with .45 cal spent brass (because it's a perfectly fitting plug--just freeze the plug and hammer it in--it won't come out). Here is a video of the removal on the 1100. At about 5:00 in, he pops out the tubing that goes right into the cylinder head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6sF07wRjps

What does the AIS system look like? It's the chrome tubes that wrap around the cylinders and elbow right into an area next to the exhaust ports.

So, our XV250: I covered all of that, because I have seen no reference to AIS on our Virago 250, but we have that system on the XV250. It starts with the left side 'pod' to chrome tubes around the cylinders on the left side, and into the jugs beside the exhaust ports. I'm surprised I've not seen a name for this system mentioned in this forum, but I have seen a few references in this forum to removing the chrome tubes (and I've done a lot of searching and reading about 10 pages deep).

I will be upgrading my exhaust, removing intake pods on both sides, and removing this "AIS". I don't want those short tubes sticking out of the cylinder heads. That would look terrible. I don't care to reverse this, once done right, because I know how well it works on the 1100, so I'm ready to rip em out....

Has anyone actually figured out how to pull the metal tubes that run directly into the cylinder heads and plug the hole in the cylinder heads? I measured the diameter of those tubes, and they look to be about 10-10.5mm which works out to a .40 cal shell casing--maybe! I can just try to knock them out, and be the guinea pig on this, but I'd love to hear that someone else has done it with success, and how they plugged it.

More can be written on the subject, and even added to the "XV250 Left and Right side Pod removal" thread.

Thanks!

- Rob

gruuvinrob
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 2006 XV250 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: AIS Removal

PostAuthor: gruuvinrob » Wed May 16, 2018 10:31 am

Looks like I might be the first pioneer to pull the elbows and plug the holes. Yikes!

gruuvinrob
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Wed May 16, 2018 12:37 pm

I'm guessing the short tubes from the cylinder heads are breathers. If so, I wouldn't recommend plugging them. Are they like the ones on you 1100 that come off the cam shaft cover?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 pm

gruuvinrob wrote:Looks like I might be the first pioneer to pull the elbows and plug the holes. Yikes!

Not really.

Lotta work..instead of just cap'n it off. Beside..you're going to need heat and your working around pretty fragile cylinder fins. They don't just glue back on. But...it's your bike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: gruuvinrob » Thu May 17, 2018 8:52 pm

Ya might wanna check out the video I posted.

gruuvinrob
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Thu May 17, 2018 9:12 pm

Sounds like you have it all figured out then.

Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri May 18, 2018 1:25 am

:yup:

gruuvinrob wrote:Ya might wanna check out the video I posted.

Good luck with that.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: gruuvinrob » Fri May 18, 2018 9:10 pm

If you have no idea, then why comment. pussies.

gruuvinrob
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Fri May 18, 2018 9:17 pm

gruuvinrob wrote:If you have no idea, then why comment. pussies.
You need to read the rules of the forum. Name calling is not allowed.

Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: gruuvinrob » Fri May 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Fine with me.... but this post aimed to discover more we can do with the xv250, based on 1. my experience doing similar mods on an 1100, with great success, and 2. hopefully based on some experience of others that might have tried it with an xv250. I included quite a bit of information and a video of it being done on the 1100, so it is certainly within reason that it can possibly be done on the 250 with similar success. And if I do end up being the first to do it, with success, and it ends up being SIMPLE and not scary at all, like you default to thinking it is, then others might be interested in a really good modification! See how this works? No, probably not.

Now, what isn't helpful, and is rather a pain in the @$$, is getting a couple snarky peanut-gallery comments from folks who haven't tried this at all, obviously didn't watch the video, and so just commented about how it probably won't work. It's ignorant commenting.... and, I think you're scared to work on your bike beyond simple tasks.

Maybe that's par for the course on a 250 forum, because a lot of folks who buy 250s are new and just getting into riding. That's fine. If this kind of task isn't for you, MOVE ALONG, because your comments are not helpful, if you've never done it.

Get it now?

I don't expect much more positive to come from this thread. Fine.

gruuvinrob
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV250