VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Cranks but no sparks(SOLVED)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Cranks but no sparks(SOLVED)

PostAuthor: kardak » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:30 pm

Hello,

After 3 weeks of not riding, i tried to start my 92 XV250 today, it started at first crank, but died after a few seconds. Then didn't start again.

Battery is new and i cranked it all over to start it again but no way. Then, take off the spark plugs, and they were all wet. Checked for sparks but, no sparks in both spark plugs. Other than that everything looks ok. Fuses are ok also.

May be there is a bad connection or side stand switch failure or clutch switch, or neutral switch, or one of the relays may be?

I hope, it won't be a TCI issue.

Any advise about where to start would be useful for me.

Here's my understanding of the safety interlocks on these bikes.

1. The starter motor is disabled by the neutral safety switch and clutch lever switch.
2. The ignition circuit is disabled by the neutral safety switch and sidestand switch.

Number 1 keeps you from starting the bike while a gear is engaged, and number 2 keeps you from riding off with the sidestand down

kardak
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1992 XV250

Re: Cranks but no sparks

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:29 am

Hi kardak, from what you say it does sound as though its electrical.
Depending on whether you are electrically minded, you can work backwards from the plugs to see where the system failed.
Do you have any electrical knowledge?
A multimeter would be invaluable. ( & knowledge of how to use it. ) You could test if the plug leads are ok, if ok then follow back to the coils & so on.

No multimeter? Try a 12volt battery & wires to a light bulb to check the plug leads.

I would put 2 new plugs.Just because it started & run doesnt mean they are ok... They may well be ok but hell, youd look silly if that was the end cause & they have both failed. ( Highly unlikely... BUT..)

You can bypass the switch on the sidestand by disconnecting both leads, then loop the connections together. See fig 1.
Hope something here might help.
Eaglearm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
What would you like here? Something smart or funny? How about a BIO of me.
I wanted to be a graphic artist and after 3 yrs training the lecturers told me to try singing. :thanks:
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2007 XV 250 Virago So Im told.
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:37 pm

don't over-look things like contaminated fuel, or kill switch engaged, or loose connection / bad ground.

and side-stand switch is infamous for sticking in the wrong position.
New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: XV535 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:06 pm

It is only a part of what could be a long checking sequence, but there is an easy check to see if power is getting through to your ignition coils without having a meter.
Make sure the key switch is turned on, then remove one of the wires from a coil tag and flick it across the tag. If the 12 volts is getting to the coil you will see a spark when you flick it across the tag.
Having power to your coils is only part of getting a spark, as the HT lead only transfers a spark to the plug when the Igniter box momentarily breaks the coil circuit, but it is not uncommon to lose the live feed to the coils when the spices in the loom break down. On a 535 the 12 volt feed to the coils is Red/White, and yours is almost certain to be the same.

I do agree that the side stand switch is the most likely problem, and it is easy to disconnect it at its plug on the loom and to short across the two connections on the loom. Small links as shown by the poster above are an invaluable aid to fault finding. I keep some in the side pods, as well as a long piece of wire with 1/4 spade connectors which have both male and female on the same tag.

XV535
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1990 XV535

PostAuthor: kardak » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:51 am

Thanks for the kind replies.

Today morning, it started after all. It looks like a simple spark plug problem at the end.

First i closed side stand, and pushed clutch lever, and it didn't work again, changed the relay that all those switches plugged with a spare one. But did'nt work.

Then took out the spark plugs to make the spark test. Rear one was working but the front one didn't. So i changed it with an old spark plug. Then it worked.

So, after some flooding, i guess spark plugs lost their abilities. They are original NGK though. I ordered a set of iridium plugs today. By the way, bike's wiring harness looks a bit exhausted after 25 years of use. So may be some electrical restoration will be good. May be i can buy a used better condition look from an other bike from ebay. Do you think XV125 is compatible with XV250 wiring loom?
They are easier to find on ebay

kardak
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: kardak » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:52 am

Thanks for the kind replies.

Today morning, it started after all. It looks like a simple spark plug problem at the end.

First i closed side stand, and pushed clutch lever, and it didn't work again, changed the relay that all those switches plugged with a spare one. But did'nt work.

Then took out the spark plugs to make the spark test. Rear one was working but the front one didn't. So i changed it with an old spark plug. Then it worked.

So, after some flooding, i guess spark plugs lost their abilities. They are original NGK though. I ordered a set of iridium plugs today. By the way, bike's wiring harness looks a bit exhausted after 25 years of use. So may be some electrical restoration will be good. May be i can buy a used better condition loom from an other bike from ebay. Do you think XV125 is compatible with XV250 wiring loom?
They are easier to find on ebay

kardak
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:05 pm

yeah, I never had good luck with NGK plugs [except in my old dirt bike]

Bosch U6AC , or Autolite platinum

here's a TRV post for if you decide to rebuild your harness - it will tell you how you can do it. ---> viewtopic.php?f=140&t=29436
New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:32 am

Hey kardak, good to hear you got it going.

This forum is just the best man, dont you think, someone comes up with the right answer & your on the road again. Sweet. :bg:

HEY, that was MEEeee. :wacko: :wacko:

Eaglearm wrote:Hi kardak, from what you say it does sound as though its electrical.
Depending on whether you are electrically minded, you can work backwards from the plugs to see where the system failed.

I would put 2 new plugs.Just because it started & run doesnt mean they are ok... They may well be ok but hell, youd look silly if that was the end cause & they have both failed. ( Highly unlikely... BUT..)

Eaglearm.

See what late nights & a shipload of alcohol will do.
Mate I am pleased it was just that easy for you. I wish my carby was that easy but its proving not. (ah not for this thread bro )

Happy tours to you kardak.
What would you like here? Something smart or funny? How about a BIO of me.
I wanted to be a graphic artist and after 3 yrs training the lecturers told me to try singing. :thanks:
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2007 XV 250 Virago So Im told.

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV250