Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

(another) tach install

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: (another) tach install

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:33 pm

@Livid with >5 posts, you should have full site-access - including PM.
just make sure you are signed in, sometimes site makes you have to sign-in again before action, going between forums. :con:
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Jake » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:08 pm

LividAxis wrote:No problem, I didn't notice that external hosting.

No way you would have known.

LividAxis wrote:P.S. If anyone has tried to private message me I'm "not authorised to read private messages."

You have 7 posts now, you should be OK. I'll send you a test PM, let me know if you got it.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Wesso » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:55 am

Jake, I know this is an old Topic but I thought I might let you know that the last time that I spoke to AndyK had sold his XVS650 and bought a Suzuki V-Strom but he still had his XV250 as a project bike. I don't know if this has changed as I haven't heard from him for a while with the exception of a message via the Facebook messenger.
He was on his way to the UK for his mother's funeral. So very sad news but he is otherwise ok. When he returns I will ask him if he intends coming back to VTF and I will let you know in due coarse.
Cheers
Wayne

ImageThe preferred method of posting attachments to VTF can be found in the Attachment Pictorial.
To get there, click on the link below. If clicking on it doesn't work , just copy and paste it to your address bar.

http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=29506#p263323
or copy and paste the link into the address bar of your browser and press Enter.

If you're looking for a Service or Owner's Manual, try this link
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545
We might just have what you are looking for.
Wesso
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1997 XV1100S Virago

PostAuthor: Razorblade » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:39 am

Hello everyone,
I know this is a very old thread but it's there any possibility to have all the pictures reuploaded?

I have a Virago250 and I am looking for a tutorial that explains how to make a proper wires connection for extra gauges.

Thanks in advance

Razorblade
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1998 xv250 Virago

PostAuthor: Wesso » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:12 am

Razorblade wrote:Hello everyone,
I know this is a very old thread but it's there any possibility to have all the pictures reuploaded?

I have a Virago250 and I am looking for a tutorial that explains how to make a proper wires connection for extra gauges.

Thanks in advance

Hi Razorblade, For someone as sharp as your name suggests you haven't done a very good job of filling out your personal profile.
Tell you what... If you go to your profile and fill out your location you will get a lot more help in the future.

But for now, I will answer your question for you. In most cases it is not possible for us to upload the images that you request because the original author of the posts in question are probably not a member anymore given the age of the Topic and they have most likely canceled their account with Photobucket or whatever server they had their images hosted on and in that case there is nothing that we can do for you. Those images are gone forever. This is why we ask our members to upload the images used in these Topics to this Forum. That means that the images will remain for as long as we exist.

So :VTF: Now please go and complete your profile.
Cheers
Wayne

ImageThe preferred method of posting attachments to VTF can be found in the Attachment Pictorial.
To get there, click on the link below. If clicking on it doesn't work , just copy and paste it to your address bar.

or copy and paste the link into the address bar of your browser and press Enter.

Wesso
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Razorblade » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:38 am

Hello Wesso,
I'll fill my profile in the evening ( italian time ), at the moment I didn't had the time, I'm sorry about this inconvenience.
In the meanwhile I would really appreciate if there is someone, today or in the next days, that would share this knowledge.

Thanks to everyone!

Cheers :)

Razorblade
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Wesso » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:24 am

Ok, first up... Thanks for filling out your profile it looks good with your flag there as well :BG:

Now if you would like to tell me what you are trying to do I will try to help you. If it gets too deep for me then I'm sure somebody else will help.
Besides it is 01:23am here and I am just about ready to go to bed.
Cheers
Wayne

Wesso
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Razorblade » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Ok, what I would like to do is installing extra gauges for my Yamaha Virago XV250, looking for resources on the internet I've found this video

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

(It says part2 but actually there is not a part1, note that I've also commented the video asking for details )

On ebay I bought this https://www.ebay.it/itm/LED-Fuel-Gauge- ... 2860857154. I also bought a couple of other gauges that will be delivered in a couple of weeks.

The problem: I have no idea of what to do next.

The gauge that I've bought has 6 wires, vendor says "Red-positive,Black-negative,Yellow-oil sensor signal,Green- picks up speed signal".
There are other two white wires that nobody in the world knows what they do there.

About the installation vendor says:

"""
1.Connect the positive and negative pole to power supply correctly. ( yes.... but where? There is not a ready power supply connection )
2.Turn on the electric door switch,tachometer will display to 0,and then let the signal line touch the
positive pole of power supply.
If the digital display changes,it can work normally.
3.Connect the signal cable,start the car,and then it can display speed.
"""

After disassembling the frontal light, I've found the connection of the frontal led indicator, disconnected it and connected the black and red wires luckily in the correct places and at least I've seen the gauge with lights on ( I've also broke the fuse but luckily I had the replacement :) ).

In the YT video there is a link to an image that indicates where to get the RPM information, from the TDI (CDI?), link https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... dsY0pXUFFB.

Actually I'm afraid that there isn't a fuel sensor in the Virago250 but I hope someone can tell me otherwise.

So what I know is that the indicator needs power and the input to read from, how to create a proper connection?

I am very noob, so I need a very detailed indications :D

Razorblade
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Wesso » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:45 am

Razorblade wrote:Ok, what I would like to do is installing extra gauges for my Yamaha Virago XV250,

After reading your post I would suggest that perhaps you might have chosen a task that is beyond your understanding and without actually being there to see what is going on I might not be able to help you I'm sorry to say.
Looking at the Youtube video that you posted, the gauge on the left looks like it might be a Volt meter and the one on the right is obviously a Tacho (RPM) meter.

Razorblade wrote:On ebay I bought this https://www.ebay.it/itm/LED-Fuel-Gauge- ... 2860857154. I also bought a couple of other gauges that will be delivered in a couple of weeks.

The problem: I have no idea of what to do next.

Ok I looked at the gauge on ebay and it looks like it is only a digital fuel gauge with a Tachometer in the top.
By my experiences I would think that you should have a red wire which is normally your + Power lead, a black wire which is normally your - or ground lead (some countries call this an earth lead), then there should be a yellow or orange wire which is usually for the pulse signal from either the CDI (as it is indicated in the diagram in Google) or you can also splice into the yellow lead from the ignition coil for the front cylinder or the orange lead on the ignition coil for the rear cylinder.
That should get the Tacho working for you. However I don't know of anybody who has ever got a fuel gauge working on an XV250 because there simply isn't enough room to install a sender unit in the fuel tank.

Razorblade wrote:The gauge that I've bought has 6 wires, vendor says "Red-positive,Black-negative,Yellow-oil sensor signal,Green- picks up speed signal".
There are other two white wires that nobody in the world knows what they do there.

I don't understand?? The gauge that you showed on ebay doesn't have an oil light?? nor does it have a speedometer so I think that perhaps they are confusing it with another gauge that they sell.

Razorblade wrote:About the installation vendor says:

"1.Connect the positive and negative pole to power supply correctly. ( yes.... but where? There is not a ready power supply connection )
2.Turn on the electric door switch,tachometer will display to 0,and then let the signal line touch the positive pole of power supply. If the digital display changes,it can work normally.
3.Connect the signal cable,start the car,and then it can display speed."

The positive wire on the XV250 is brown, so if you splice into the brown wire in the headlight bucket you will have power to your gauge.
Those instructions above are clearly for fitting the gauge to a car not a bike. Obviously you do not have a door switch.
In point 3. where it says, "and then it can display speed." they must mean Engine Speed.

Razorblade wrote:After disassembling the frontal light, I've found the connection of the frontal led indicator, disconnected it and connected the black and red wires luckily in the correct places and at least I've seen the gauge with lights on ( I've also broke the fuse but luckily I had the replacement :) ).

As I said, the red wire should splice into the brown wire and the black wire should go to ground. There is usually a spare bullet socket that you can connect the black wire into.

Razorblade wrote:In the YT video there is a link to an image that indicates where to get the RPM information, from the TDI (CDI?), link https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... dsY0pXUFFB.

Actually I'm afraid that there isn't a fuel sensor in the Virago250 but I hope someone can tell me otherwise.

Sorry I didn't see the link that you mention that is in the Youtube video, so I will have to take another look at it.
You have guessed right, there is no Fuel Sensor on an XV250.

Razorblade wrote:So what I know is that the indicator needs power and the input to read from, how to create a proper connection?

I am very noob, so I need a very detailed indications :D

It probably only needs power for the Fuel Sensor or if the gauge has internal lights to illuminate it at night time and I would say that the latter is the more likely scenario.
But working on the information that you have given me I would suggest that I have given you a fairly clear instruction on how to connect it up so that the Tachometer will work.

I actually fitted a digital speedometer that included a digital/analogue Tachometer, a Fuel gauge (which obviously didn't work through lack of sensor), an oil light which I never bothered to connect up, an ambient Air temperature meter, a water temp. gauge (which for obvious reasons also didn't work) and a digital clock. I could also change the colours of the face to whatever I liked.
If you would like to know the name and URL for the Speedometer I would be happy to post it here for you but I must warn you that the Speedometer unit cost around AU$350.

I hope that helps.
Cheers
Wayne

Wesso
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Razorblade » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:00 am

Hi Wesso,
thanks for your answer,
il you have that link I'll check it :)

Cheers

Razorblade
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Wesso » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:00 am

G'day mate :cl: No worries... Here's the link S3PERFORMANCE once you open up that page you'll see seven different units that you can choose from. I actually have the Acewell 4353AB LCD Digital Speedometer with Black cover. There isn't much difference between them so read all the spec's to make your choice.
I think the main difference is the accessories that you get with the unit.
You might find that a more basic model is more suitable for your needs and that would also be less expensive.

S3Performance also has an ebay store which might be better for you unless you have a dealer in your country. Click on the following link S3PERFORMANCE on ebay
The best thing I found is that you get a choice of the type of pickup for the speedometer. I found the reed sensor to be the most accurate and all you have is a very small gauge black wire coming from the front fork to the speedometer.
Here are some of the Features:
- Speedo, 2.4 - 399 kmh (248.5 mph)
- Lap Timer (Manual or magnetic strip switching)
- Tachometer, up to 6000rpm
- Temperature meter with supplied NPT1/8" temp send
- Air temperature meter with supplier temperature sender
- ADR compliant Pilot Lamps
- Max Speed, 2.4 - 399.9 km/h (248.5 mph)
- Average Speed
- Trip meter 1&2, 0-999 km
- Fuel, 7 bars. Input resistance 100, 250 or 510 ohm
- Low fuel warning light (LED)
- Odometer, 0 - 999,999km, 0 - 624,999 miles
- Clock 12/24hr
- Ride Timer 0-99 hours, Count automatically begins when vehicle is started
- Total hour meter, 0-9999 hours
- RPM warning light, preset by user
- 100% Waterproof

Temperature Gauges
The 4xxx series features built in water temperature and air temperature gauges. Both sensors come supplied with the kit.

LAP TIMING - Manual or Automatic
The ACE-4xxx includes a lap timing function to time up to 50 laps in a single session. The laps can be timed manually using the supplied wheel mounted switch. The most popular method is automatically via the supplied SMF-101 magnetic pick up that detects the magnetic strips used on most Go-Kart tracks. For motorcycle lap timing where strips are not in place the IT-100 infra red sender/receiver pack can be used.

Kit Includes:
- No Contact Magnetic Sensor and reed switch
- Integrated Mounting Bracket
- Universal Wiring Loom
- Temperature Sensors
- Lap Timing Switch
- Wiring diagram and instruction manual

Specifications:
Power Input: 12VDC
Speed Sensor: No Contact Magnetic Sensor and reed switch
Tacho Input: CDI or Ignition-coil signal
Wheel Circumference setting: 1mm-3999mm (1mm increment)
Operation Temperature: -10C to 80C inner housing
Storage Temperature: -25C to 85C inner housing

Size:
78mm dia at the outer edge of the face

Installation:
Each speedometer features an integrated mounting arm with single bolt hole for easy installation. The speed sensor can be mounted anywhere on the bike while the tacho lead can be hard wired or simply wrapped around the spark plug cable.

Other Models Available
S3 Performancer Equipment is the Australian Distributor for all Acewell products. We also stock the ACE-1500, ACE-3150, ACE-3250, ACE-3701, ACE-2853, ACE-2853CP, ACE-2853AB, ACE-3853, ACE-3963, ACE-3969. ACE-4553AB, ACE-4353CP and ACE-4553CP. If there is a model you are after that we do not have in stock, we can get it for you.

Anyway that's just a copy of what's on their web page so I hope it helps you.
Cheers
Wayne

Wesso
Mod
Mod

Previous

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV250