VTF Google Search
 Click Here

No center stand? No problem.

Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips! http://Virago.Ninja
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

No center stand? No problem.

PostAuthor: Kipsley » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:50 am

I own a XV400 (essentially the same as a XV535). No centre stand and so how do I even check the engine oil?
No problem. All you need is a single tie-down strap (the type used to secure motorbikes to a trailer) and a place to tie it to, an upright or pole, etc.
So my bike is in my patio and I've parked it next to one of the uprights that support the roof (It's on my left). Sitting astride my bike, I kick a 2 inch thick paver under it's side-stand to bring her pretty much to an upright position. Now I tie one end of my tie-down to the patio-upright that is on my left, and then hook the other end of the tie-down to the frame of my bike (also on it's left side). Just tension it up slightly, and my bike is upright, secure, and not going anywhere. I can leave it in gear or place a brick behind her rear wheel, but point is I can now work on my bike and she's upright. I can even get on with both feet upon the footrests and even adjust things like the handlebars, mirrors, anything.
Western Australia. 1988 Virago XV400 (On my L-Plates)
Kipsley
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1988 Virago XV400
Sex: Female

Re: No center stand? No problem.

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:08 am

Nice thinking.

Got a Harbor Freight your way? Really get fancy with this Condor knockoff---> https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb-c ... 61670.html Once you ride or push bike into chock, the wheel will lock into place, preventing it from twist'n, allows you to get off, hands free and put your tie-downs on. From the fork to the stand's eye bolts, that is. Could also make one of those lever type lifts, plans shown somewhere in VTF, to get that back wheel off the ground. One of many here of a pretty good design (with or without wheels)---> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47720 Could even use a scissor jack, if it's low enough, under rear of engine.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips