Click Here

SEIZED RUSTY BOLTS AND STUDS

Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips! http://Virago.Ninja
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

PostAuthor: XV535 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:21 am

Before risking shearing off those delicate exhaust fixings it is worth a look at this data.

The information was lifted from the Car Data pages of the Honest John website. I assume where lbs are quoted that this means foot/lbs of torque. I do not have the details of how the experiments were controlled, but bearing in mind there are no commercial vested interests involved with the most effective treatment it is well worth a look.

RUSTED BOLT RELEASE
Ave pounds required
516 lbs No Treatment
238 lbs WD 40
214 lbs PB Blaster
127 lbs Liquid Wrench
106 lbs Kano Kroil
53 lbs 50/50 mix of Auto Tranmsission Fluid + Acetone

CAR DATA
Honestjohn
Last edited by Jake on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to wrenchin secrets and tips. Quoted text attributed to another.

XV535
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1990 XV535
Sex: Male

Re: SEIZED RUSTY BOLTS AND STUDS

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:06 pm

I would love to read how they came to their conclusions. [research, procedures, etc.]
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies whether you're having fun ...
__ :bike: ...
or not ... :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:46 pm

mark75 wrote:I would love to read how they came to their conclusions. [research, procedures, etc.]

2nd that
all 6 bolts/nuts would have to be identical. on top of that, doing just one of each is not significant enough. n=3 should provide more accurate average...
anyone wants to do this experiment? :-D
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 81 XV920RH
82 Virago XV750 USA, shafty
78 Suzuki GS750
81 Suzuki GS750 (sold)
85 Dnepr MT10-36 (RIP and then stolen)
91 Dnepr MT11-32 (Stolen)

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:44 am

Crazy_Russian wrote:
mark75 wrote:anyone wants to do this experiment? :-D

No thanks. Probly enough diverse info on the web to last a lifetime. Besides, don't really remember the last time I've somebody saying: "Holy Crap...that took 253# of torque to break that %@#*&^#@ 'n bolt free". :r:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: XV535 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:03 am

If I remember correctly the Honest John website did give the full info on how the experiments were carried out, I copied the results only a long time ago.

With reference to not caring about knowing what torque is involved in breaking the rust, I can understand that, but it is not about the numbers, but about what the shear stress of a bolt is. If the shear stress is for example 80 lb/ft and the rust is creating an 120 lb/ft grip on the thread then a sheared bolt is inevitable.

On a slightly different tack. I had some 6mm screws firmly jammed in a Mikuni carburettor yesterday, on both the lloat chamber and the diaphragm covers, and they really did not want to shift. I slotted them with cutting wheel in a Dremel, but they were still firmly jammed.

I had to put plasticine around them to make a well to put release fluid in, andafter a soak they were still tight.

With a carb (even when fully purged of fuel) you do not want to warp it by using a blowlamp, but I needed to try thermal shock. I found a very large 3/4 inch bolt and put it in the vice, heated its end to cherry red with a high heat gas torch, and then held the head of the screw firmly on top of the hot bolt, adding heat to the bolt from below to keep the temperature very high. I used release agent again, then heated again before attempting to undo it, and it worked. Standard 6mm socket screws with large hex recesses have gone back in, with a twist of PTFE plumbers tape to keep steel and alloy apart as thread bonding is often due to galvanic action.

XV535
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1990 XV535

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:11 am

XV535 wrote:With a carb (even when fully purged of fuel) you do not want to warp it by using a blowlamp, but I needed to try thermal shock. I found a very large 3/4 inch bolt and put it in the vice, heated its end to cherry red with a high heat gas torch, and then held the head of the screw firmly on top of the hot bolt, adding heat to the bolt from below to keep the temperature very high. I used release agent again, then heated again before attempting to undo it, and it worked. Standard 6mm socket screws with large hex recesses have gone back in, with a twist of PTFE plumbers tape to keep steel and alloy apart as thread bonding is often due to galvanic action.

Saw the same thing on The Big Bang Theory. I also found those little screws have no chance against a soldering gun, liquid wrench and impact driver, if they wanted to be stubborn. Why one should also replace those fasteners with allen heads. Stainless if you find them.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips