VTF Google Search
 Click Here

81 xv750 master cylinder window

Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips! http://Virago.Ninja
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

81 xv750 master cylinder window

PostAuthor: d1010223 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:44 am

I'm down two 18mm sight glass kits so far and now ordered three more....anyone had dramas pressing them in? would a chill in the freezer shrink it a bit or just make it brittle?

Tried some loctite 567 as lube and sealant ant tried a g clamp and th en a hammer and a timber drift second time

Any one out there get one of these eBay windows fitted ok?

Thanks in advance!

d1010223
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 81 xv750 project, R75/6, 2003 TE610 motard
Sex: Male

Re: 81 xv750 master cylinder window

PostAuthor: chrismalm » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:59 pm

I found this helpful. Hope you do too.
http://www.xj4ever.com/choosing%20a%20sight%20glass.pdf
Chris Malm
chrismalm
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 XZ550H
1982 XZ550H (project)
1982 XV750 (project)
1982 XV920 (project)

Re: 81 xv750 master cylinder window (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: d1010223 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:33 pm

From what I gather on the net most had read about but not tackled the same master cylinder so I nutted it out myself.

1) Get a Chinese 18mm window (regardless of what they say it won't fit....I destroyed three to prove it). They are about $2aud on eBay and for the knock of cylinders usually sold by same merchants.

2)Clean up bore of cylinder after smashing out old window carefully. I used scotch bride then wet and dry. I also by hand used a large drill bit to put a bevel to make it easier to get the ring of the window into the bore.

3) Don't bother trying to freeze it.....I measured ups after a few cans and thought "yeah yeah interference fit I'll freeze it an press in with g clamp..." haha bs - that's how last two fatalities occurred and it just deformed the ring and damaged edge of window.

4) got a lathe with 4 jaw chuck and patience/dexterity of a jewler? I haven't..... So try what my mate calls a 'fitters lathe'. I used a press, you could use a cordless drill....I put in order face in chuck. I found that it was easier to tape it to a piece of water hose then slip this over a large drill bit in my drill press.
IMG_2904.JPG

IMG_2905.JPG

5)Use a slow speed and apply light force with a file to start removing material from plated ring of window. I started with my vernier but could t be bothered....once I had a few thou off I trial fitted it while it was still mounted on the drill press.

5)Once your happy finish tin plating/brass substrate with wet and dry to make sure it doesn't pick up.

6) I don't believe rtv is a good idea and don't want to start an argument so use what you please...I would put more faith in the msds/tech data from heinkel and use loctite 567 if your paranoid....me I trust the oring and decided on no lube/sealant.

7) use a gclamp or ratchet clamp and to bits of wood to carefully press in. Watch from inside reservoir and when you can see oring being slightly 'buldged' stop pushing or you wil cock it up.

8)Touch up the scars from all the love you have given to the body of the master cylinder and now you can run your kit through it.
IMG_2906.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

d1010223
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 81 xv750 project, R75/6, 2003 TE610 motard

Re: 81 xv750 master cylinder window

PostAuthor: Vladymere gr » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:01 am

Well done sir!

Vlad

Vladymere gr
Senior Membership
Senior Membership