VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Brake caliper help!

Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips! http://Virago.Ninja
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Brake caliper help!

PostAuthor: 82'XV920R » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:24 pm

Hey all just curious if anyone can lend some words of wisdom on rebuilding the front calipers on my XV920R? They can't be much different than a passenger car (which I've done before) just being a little more cautious since the self harm risk is a bit higher if not done properly :help:
Did some searching thru the forum and couldn't really come across anything that was to specific to the calipers!
Thanks in advance! :bg:
1982 XV920R Virago :chop:
Currently in need of tires and caliper rebuild
82'XV920R
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920R Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Brake caliper help!

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:30 am

pretty straight forward project, just be careful not to damage pistons as they are expensive to replace [~$100?]
http://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam/ ... ke-caliper

polish them with X-fine steel wool or 1000 wet-or-dry if pitted.
clean/flush with alcohol [70-90% isopropyl is ok]

recommend replacing your brake lines, too. woven s/s [not Russell] will add a more positive feel to braking action.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun ...
__ :bike: ...
or not ... :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: iamunique127 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:15 am

I've rebuild a few sets of those calipers and they are really quite simple.

Make sure you completely dissasemble the master cylinder and callipers. You will simplify the task of removing the M/C plunger if you have a set of M/C Snap Ring Pliers https://www.amazon.ca/Motion-Pro-Master ... B000WJJ4U6.

Be sure to replace the M/C parts in the correct order.

Remove the single pistons in each calliper with a bit of compressed air. Put a rag around the piston first to pad it and point it away from you.

Caliper piston seals come out easily with a pick and a little care.

I clean everything with brake cleaner, a soft brush and compressed air. Let them dry thoroughly or, as said above, rinse with alcohol before reassembly.

It should all be in your manual. If you don't have one you can get a download on this site in the Knowledge Base, I think.
Lyle

'82 XV920RJ
iamunique127
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920RJ- Gen. 2 starter upgrade, MAC 2-into-1 header, 18" Cone Engineering "muffler", Hannigan fairing

PostAuthor: Octania » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:44 am

I am about to do mine also. Not sure I can swing the $100 steel flexy line at this time.

IF you have rusted steel parts I highly recommend EvapoRust for removal. Eats rust, leaves steel intact.

Polish, lube with DOT3 BF, assemble. I would put a tiny bit of anti sieze on the bleeder screw to ensure no rust hassles there.
1981 XV750, aftermarket pipes
Central Michigan, Central USA
Here to find and provide help if possible
"The chrome and steel I ride colliding with the very air I breathe" -Neil Young (ish)
Octania
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 XV750 Virago, 13k miles, runs GREAT as of 10/2015
Central Lower Mchigan, Midwest, USA, Norte Amerika, 3rd Rock from Sol.

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:12 am

IMO: the s/s woven line is worth the extra cost, but even new rubber is better than keeping vintage OEM lines.

watch/feel your old rubber line balloon as you apply the brakes. all the pressure should be going to the caliper - not inflating the line.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun ...
__ :bike: ...
or not ... :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
mark75
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips