VTF Google Search
 Click Here

XV750 1983 Hitachi to Mikuni

Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips! http://Virago.Ninja
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

XV750 1983 Hitachi to Mikuni

PostAuthor: Sorcli » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:42 am

Hi. Anyone swapped their Hitachis for Mikuni VM34s? I'd like any info any to know if it's benificial? Pro and cons?
1981/3 XV750 rear to front wheel conversion with GSXR100 front forks, FZR front disc, custom made exhaust and Cone Engineering shorty muffler, custom subframe and seat 140x90x16 and 130x90x16 Metzeler tires, Acewell speedo, custom headlight and grill.
Sorcli
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: XV750 1981
Sex: Male

Re: XV750 1983 Hitachi to Mikuni

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:10 pm

I went to Mikuni - KJS single system, and would do it again in a heart-beat.
only carb adjustment required was the idle speed.
then rode it like I stole it. :bg:
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun ...
__ :bike: ...
or not ... :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Sorcli » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:20 pm

I've heard they are easy to set up, do you think it's as easy with twins and having a K&an and shorty muffler?
1981/3 XV750 rear to front wheel conversion with GSXR100 front forks, FZR front disc, custom made exhaust and Cone Engineering shorty muffler, custom subframe and seat 140x90x16 and 130x90x16 Metzeler tires, Acewell speedo, custom headlight and grill.
Sorcli
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: XV750 1981

PostAuthor: KCTonupboy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:21 pm

I did the twin carb set up with a two-to-one throttle cables from Mike's XS and found it straight forward to do. I'd highly recommend obtaining the Mikuni catalog/turning guide. The individual carb connection to each head is a TC Brothers flange and boot for a XS650. The flange bolt holes need to be slotted for fitup. I used the original boots back into the hollow backbone to the original air filter replaced by a K&N oval.

The jetting depends on your intake and exhaust flow and pressure drop characteristics and the elevation you live at. I initially had a 1 3/4 inch Mac two-into-one with a 2 1/2 inch reverse cone muffler and I had trouble running lean at the low and mid-range and tired quickly of the machine gun exhaust note. I swapped over to a SuperTrapp and worked out the adjustment in the number of diffuser rings in the SupperTrapp to where I now get good air/fuel mixture throughout the range which coincides with good torque and driveability in the low, mid-range and high throttle twists. The jet sizes I ended up on are those recommended by Greg Hagemann for the 750 at sea level.

Best performance mod for the engine in my opinion. The only down side is the gear box. I find myself racing through the gears and being over the speed limit all to quickly.
82 Virago 750 cafe racer/brat
KCTonupboy
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips