VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Homemade fork bolt cap tool

Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips! http://Virago.Ninja
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Homemade fork bolt cap tool

PostAuthor: summershandy » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:21 pm

I was kinda impressed this worked so I thought I'd share. My fork seal blew on my 83-X500 so I'm off to order new ones but until then....I noticed under the rubber cap there's one huge allen key needed. I had 2 - 5/8" spark plug sockets that were a tad too big. I chose to grind down the one made in Japan and not my Mastercraft one. Used my grinder and patience....it didn't have to be perfect. Once it fit, an extension will snap in from the opposite side, then a piece of pipe for leverage. Of course used penetrating fluid and a little tapping before hand. Applying that "feel" to break the bolt loose and no probs. I just like a challenge and didn't feel like spending the money to buy the required tool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I can fix almost anything but I can't fix stupid!"
summershandy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1984 XV500 (bobber)
1986 Honda Shadow VT750 *sold*
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 classic
Sex: Male

Re: Homemade fork bolt cap tool

PostAuthor: Octania » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:37 pm

Clever!

make sure before starting the grinding that the extension goes into the square drive from the business end- this is not always the case.

my bike came to me w/o a tool kit so Sat morning I went to the buy n sell store and found a plug socket like that- there were dozens in the bins- and an offset box end wrench with 3/4 one end to match the socket and a useless 25/32 or some such nonsense on the other end- which I cut off to lose weight and size. Have a nice dedicated tool that works wonders and breaks down. Cranftsman made in USA socket too.
Last edited by Octania on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
1981 XV750, aftermarket pipes
Central Michigan, Central USA
Here to find and provide help if possible
"The chrome and steel I ride colliding with the very air I breathe" -Neil Young (ish)
Octania
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 XV750 Virago, 13k miles, runs GREAT as of 10/2015
Central Lower Mchigan, Midwest, USA, Norte Amerika, 3rd Rock from Sol.

PostAuthor: JayTee2215 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:44 pm

I always appreciate thinking outside the box. . .. or even wrench. :GJ:

Also, Summer Shandy is pretty good beer . . . . have you tried the Grapefruit or Ginger Shandy? Really refreshing on a hot summer day.

I actually like Lienie's Snow Drift Vanilla Porter, Creamy Dark, and good old Honey Wiess too.
2012 V Star 250
S. Wisconsin
JayTee2215
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 2012 V Star250 XV250

PostAuthor: summershandy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:13 am

Thanks and don't get me going on Leinie's! We bring back to Canada what we can when we visit Duluth MN. This pub had the grapefruit in bottles and the wife loved it! We couldn't find it anywhere in the stores before we left. We visit the lodge whenever we pass it on our way back from Florida vacation. Shandy's are hard to find in our neck of the woods. Guess ya gotta love lemons!
"I can fix almost anything but I can't fix stupid!"
summershandy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1984 XV500 (bobber)
1986 Honda Shadow VT750 *sold*
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 classic

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips