VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Homemade Penetrating Oil

Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips! http://Virago.Ninja
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Homemade Penetrating Oil

PostAuthor: DarkHart07 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:46 pm

So as I was doing a brake bleeding on my car all away around today, on the last wheel (up front), I ran into a problem being that the bleeder screw was stuck fast. I couldn't get it off for the life of me. Tried PB blaster to no avail.
Apparently a mix (50/50) of automatic transmission fluid + acetone is better than any commercial brand penetrating oil that you can get out there. I did a little searching around I found this bit of information:

"Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and
bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then
tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety
of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.
This is what they came up with:
Nothing: 516 lbs
WD-40: 238 lbs;
PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
(ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

This last “shop brew” of 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone appears to beat
out the commercially prepared products costing far more."

I'm going to be trying this soon probably to get that damn bleeder screw off. People who have done it say it works really well. We'll see.
1986 XV700 Virago
Single Hitachi HSC40 carb - K&N filter
MAC Slash Cuts
LS650 shocks
DarkHart07
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 XV700 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Homemade Penetrating Oil

PostAuthor: ms8238 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:59 pm

wish they would have tested Seafoams pen lube, which we know, seafoam uses acetone in its stuff.

When I changed my struts I was ready for a nightmare, but it got the 2 giant nuts n bolts to come off and slide right out.
ms8238
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750

PostAuthor: DarkHart07 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:31 am

Update on my situation:

So after initially using PB blaster for a bit, to no avail at all. I went ahead with the ATF/Acetone mix. Sprayed some on (got an oil can from a hardware store to mix it in), let it sit overnight, and this morning when I went to try to get it off with the vice grips one last time (before I torched/drilled it), it came off surprisingly easily.

I'm now a believer in this mix and will have some sitting around ready to use for my next stubborn bolt.
1986 XV700 Virago
Single Hitachi HSC40 carb - K&N filter
MAC Slash Cuts
LS650 shocks
DarkHart07
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 XV700 Virago

PostAuthor: HITCAINTGRUS » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:15 pm

In my day you could buy it - in bulk even for workshop use etc.
It was called "penetrene" back in the day.
It was a little like another million dollar brand called "Marvel Mystery Oil" which was again based on transmission fluid & kerosine or something like that from memory.
[Naphthenic Hydrocarbons, Mineral Spirits, Chlorinated Hydrocarbons].

The trouble with these "secret brews" was that various transportation laws for volatile liquids and other poisons and exposure hazard laws ended up with all such products being required to furbish MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheets) so that end users, and first responders to accidents and hospitals treating people affected by them could know "what was actually in them".

And that was the end of any sort of secret family recipe upon which a business could be based, coz now people could just make their own based on the details on the MSDS sheet!.

How Coke a cola have been able to protect their secret recipe for so long, I have no idea - I guess being a drink / foodstuff and thus not considered hazardous you don't need a MSDS sheet to transport or handle it as the end user.

For what its worth - any one needs to drill steel or machine steel on a lathe etc - there's a really goods cutting oil, Chlor Paraffin - that you can buy cheap in bulk...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPXQqjO5T1Q

Chlor Paraffin has a rather unique 'property' - in that it is attracted to heat rather than being repelled from it like most oils - & this is why its so useful in machining operations where friction creates heat.

That vid above shows a commercial product - (Bitron) which from its MSDS is just cheap chlor paraffin cutting oil...basically.

But it demonstrates how the Chlor Paraffin is attracted to heat in the friction test and thus defeats the test!

So if you have a lot of machining of steel or drilling etc - then get yourself some chlor paraffin and use that instead of any other cutting oil - which just gets hot and moves away from the cutting edge and smokes etc allowing the drill to get hot and then in turn blunt quickly.

I won't go into why I don't think it's a good engine oil additive myself personally (Chlorine and Hydrocarbons by products of combustion combining to make Hydrochloric acid HCl inside your sump)?. Surely this will just use up your add pack in the oil to neutralize acids?).

But in places like diffs etc (i.e. no combustion) - probably the best thing since sliced bread.

But definitely good for drilling / cutting!.

Cheers.
Madness takes it's toll - Please have exact change handy.

"Some say he eats Sid-chrome spanners for breakfast, and drinks brake fluid to wash them down, while others say he couldn't drive a greasy stick up a dogs date with a mallet, all we know is he's called HITCAINTGRUS (Head In The Clouds, @$$ IN The Gutter, R US) enterprises inc" (Said in your best Jeremy Clarkson voice impersonation).
HITCAINTGRUS
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1997 Yamaha 750 Virago (Basket case no longer, now Licensed and ready to ride!).

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips