VTF Google Search
 Click Here

How to replace Yamaha Virago Key

Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips! http://Virago.Ninja
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

How to replace Yamaha Virago Key

PostAuthor: Dr Wobble » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 am

I got my Virago 535 back on the road after 5 years. It,s taken alot of hard work. Anyway on the way back from getting it MOT'd the key fell out the ignition. After spending hours on the interweb this is how you get a new key without a photo/number or other ID. This may not work for every bike but it's worth a go.

Under my ignition barrel was a piece of black tape about an inch long by 1/4 inch. I peeled it off and with the use of a very bright LED torch and a magnifying glass I made out some numbers. In my case there wa sa letter followed by five numbers,a gap and four numbers. After talking to a nice bloke at keys galore in London (0207 586 9710 ) he told me that its the letter and the first five numbers he needed and the last number should be either a 1 a 0 a 3 or a 7 . The key cost a tenner with 1.50 postage.

Got the keys this morning and I,m back on the road. When looking for a solution I found places on auction site who said they could do it. After ringing three,of which only one rang back,I gave up as they all sounded dodgy. I tried a Yamaha dealer with the "I,ve got my log book,do us a key"routine which got me nowhere,I also tried ringing the dealer who origenally sold the bike to see if they had the number which led me to keys galore. Thanks Wigan Yamaha centre. Also tried my local locksmith to see if he could pop one in the post,but understandably he wasnt happy doing this. Couldnt get to his shop as I couldn't fill the bike up with juice as I hadnt got a key. Catch 22.

I hope this helps if you end up in my situation. Andy.

Dr Wobble
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1994 XV535 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: How to replace Yamaha Virago Key

PostAuthor: 1987xv535 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:17 am

Good to know, Andy. Thanks for posting this.
Trevor

1987 Virago 535 (sold)
1985 Virago 1000 (Vance & Hines exhaust, Mustang seat, RoadKrome Windshield)
1987xv535
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1987 XV535 (sold)
1985 XV1000

PostAuthor: mrirbic » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:54 am

Thanks for the Info.
I was told to put some dirt in my soul....Is that metaphor to grow some compassion?????? Hmmmmm food for thought.
85 Nighthawk 750(Sold)
83 Yamaha XS1100(COMPLETE BASKET CASE)
81 XJ650
82 Virago750
mrirbic
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 Yamaha Virago 750

PostAuthor: Swissmaxie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:11 pm

Dr Wobble wrote:I got my Virago 535 back on the road after 5 years. It,s taken alot of hard work. Anyway on the way back from getting it MOT'd the key fell out the ignition. After spending hours on the interweb this is how you get a new key without a photo/number or other ID. This may not work for every bike but it's worth a go.

Under my ignition barrel was a piece of black tape about an inch long by 1/4 inch. I peeled it off and with the use of a very bright LED torch and a magnifying glass I made out some numbers. In my case there wa sa letter followed by five numbers,a gap and four numbers. After talking to a nice bloke at keys galore in London (0207 586 9710 ) he told me that its the letter and the first five numbers he needed and the last number should be either a 1 a 0 a 3 or a 7 . The key cost a tenner with 1.50 postage.

Got the keys this morning and I,m back on the road. When looking for a solution I found places on auction site who said they could do it. After ringing three,of which only one rang back,I gave up as they all sounded dodgy. I tried a Yamaha dealer with the "I,ve got my log book,do us a key"routine which got me nowhere,I also tried ringing the dealer who origenally sold the bike to see if they had the number which led me to keys galore. Thanks Wigan Yamaha centre. Also tried my local locksmith to see if he could pop one in the post,but understandably he wasnt happy doing this. Couldnt get to his shop as I couldn't fill the bike up with juice as I hadnt got a key. Catch 22.

I hope this helps if you end up in my situation. Andy.

[These guys are fantastic http://www.keytrader.co.uk/]
Last edited by Jake on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed
Swissmaxie
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: Yamaha XV 535 1995. Yamaha XV 535 1993x2 Yamaha YBR custom (YBR now sold)

PostAuthor: Swissmaxie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:12 pm

These guys are fantastic http://www.keytrader.co.uk/
Swissmaxie
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: Yamaha XV 535 1995. Yamaha XV 535 1993x2 Yamaha YBR custom (YBR now sold)

PostAuthor: JoeyVanBeersftw » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Did you have to pull the ignition switch out? I just got a XV750 without a key

Whoops, didn’t see this is a 5 year old thread.

JoeyVanBeersftw
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1989 XV750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:49 pm

JoeyVanBeersftw wrote:Did you have to pull the ignition switch out? I just got a XV750 without a key

Whoops, didn’t see this is a 5 year old thread.

The ignition, gas cap and helmet lock use the same key from the factory. If the helmet lock is still on the bike and hopefully original, along with the switch and gas cap. You can take the helmet lock off and check the key code on it, it should be the same.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips